Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:54 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
How is it so overwhelmingly normal to just not be curious about your surroundings?
The reason is that people are just not that interested. Also, a place as large as the DC-Baltimore region can be overwhelming if you try to see or do it all.

Consider yourself blessed that you are more curious than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 11:04 AM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
And I wouldn't be surprised if most San Franciscans don't roam around town much either, but instead stay mostly in or near their own 'hoods.
I biked to every neighborhood and up every single hill in that town, but I guess I am a weirdo.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 AM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
R U kidding???!!! There's the beach! GG Park! The GG bridge!! The Embarcadero. The Art Museum. Twin Peaks--oh, the views! Stern Grove! I can tell you, the local Russians and Poles used to go mushrooming in the parks all over town, on a regular basis. There was a club for urban wild foods harvesting, maybe there still is. Someone published a book ages ago, something like "Hidden Walks in SF", that helped people explore hidden stairways connecting neighborhoods, short-cuts, wooden pedestrian bridges (yes!), and other wonders in forgotten corners of the City. . But IDK, these days there's an entirely new breed of people in the City. Who knows what they do?

They stare at their phones, use a computer screen at work, then come home to watch TV.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
That is my hobby (Exploring anywhere within 5 hours drive and getting to know the place and little and some people a little). It is amazing how few people know nothing about their surrounding areas. That is especially true of Detroit. Most of the people in the suburbs will not go there and cannot accept the fact it has become a really cool city. You cannot drag them there for anything.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:38 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think most people just have a regular routine of work, errands, family obligations, etc. So they don't have the time or energy to explore their local surroundings and when they have time off they want a change of scenery.
That last sentence is probably the answer for most who travel far off but not locally. When people do want to vacation they want a change of scenery that gives them a sense of a clean slate when they get back or a new scenery than what they are used to seeing. The person from Nashville may want to go to the Wyoming or Colorado Rockies versus the Cumberland Plateau or the Smokies because that offers a different scenery and a sense of new exploration. That same person from Nashville may want to go to Panama City Beach or Gulf Shores because there isn't a beach in Tennessee and they desire the beach vacation for relaxation and/or enjoy that scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel