Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 01:26 PM

483 posts, read 461,521 times

Advertisements

Individual situations vary, but about 400 miles for me. I will drive to D.C. or Chicago from Columbus to see friends and family, but I'd rather fly somewhere as far as New York, Boston, Houston, etc. If I'm heading to an unfamiliar city, I'd certainly rather fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 01:28 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,791,353 times
Nearest airport is about an hour away. Allow two hours for checking, an hour flight, ground transport = five hours. Depending on traffic, 250-300 miles. Of course, YMMV.
I know a guy who drove from Northern IL to Houston. Driving a hybrid it only cost $80 in gas -but he had an accident on the way that cost several hundred. No thanks!

Old 06-09-2018, 01:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,729,982 times
Driving time and whether we are taking the dog with us. It is 778 miles, door-to-door, to our son's house and we do it in one 12-13 hour driving day. We are taking the dog and often a lot of tools to help him work on his house, so flying is not really an option.

Otherwise about one 6-8 hour driving day is my limit. Hate staying in cheap hotels and it annoys me to pay $250+ a night for an expensive hotel that is really just a cheap hotel with slightly better paint and landscaping.

2-3 days of 5-6 hour driving is my limit for towing the trailer to go camping, which limits us, pretty much to the northwest and adjacent mountain states.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 06-09-2018, 01:43 PM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
There are a ton of variables.

Am I paying or is my employer paying?

Is it a short notice trip?

Would I hit someone's rush hour?

Is it winter where my car with AWD and snow tires has better odds than flying?

If my employer is paying, I'll fly for a 300 mile trip. I'll rent a car for a 225 mile trip.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:54 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,613,014 times
I used to travel a lot for work. My tipping point was if the destination was more than about 4 1/2 hour car drive. I hated traveling, in case that adds any extra dimension to it.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:02 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,894,566 times
It is an easy decision for me because I do not fly anymore.

I used to fly a lot, but my last flight was in the year 2000. I am sticking with the promise I made to myself about no more flying. I just grew tired of all the bullshyt involved; that's it in a nutshell. Since I do not have any desire or reason to ever leave North America again, it has worked out well.

I have no reason to be in a hurry to get somewhere. My closest loved ones live near enough to drive
to. Also, I love road trips and like experiencing the USA and Canada while driving, stopping and seeing the sights, trying a different restaurant, or spending a night or two somewhere new.

I realize that flying is necessary for many people, and it used to be for me, but since it is no longer necessary I choose not to fly.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:07 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,246,890 times
Business travel has different variables, so let’s assume just personal.

To me, it’s a combination of cost, time and whether we need a car at destination. E.g. to NYC we’d likely fly if we can find affordable tickets. Traffic is horrible and car is not needed. FL is about 8 hour drive from us, so if air tickets and car rental are not too expensive then we fly. Otherwise we drive.

One year Hertz had a promo to rent a car at an airport and then drive it down to FL to return at an airport there. It cost about $10 per day. So we rented a car one way and then flew back home via cheapo Frontier. Financially, it was the best trip.

We live pretty close to the airport that is not very busy, so usually don’t spend more than 1.5 hrs each way of extra travel time. Unless there is a major delay, flying is simple as you can just watch a movie or read. Driving can be tiresome, although we take turns as needed.

To some families, baggage can be a factor too. E.g. when our kid was little and needed a car seat and extra stuff flying was a major hassle.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:00 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,040,267 times
Easy for me. I drive got to much metal in my body to fly.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:02 PM

27,870 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Unless the whole point of the trip is to see the countryside, I'll fly, thank you -- provided, that is, I can get reasonable fares. I do enjoy road trips, but if the point of the trip is to get somewhere, I want to get there in as little time as possible.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:55 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,714,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
We were planning a trip to visit our daughter who lives 800 miles away. No real schedule or time constraints, just a get together. By car it's a 12 hour drive, doable (if unpleasant) in one day, but an easy trip over two days. Flying there takes 2 hours in the air and another 4-6 hours of miscellaneous stuff at the airports for a total of 6-8 hours travel time door-door. We decided to drive instead of fly because the time saved isn't worth the hassles.

What is your tipping point in distance and time for domestic travel?
Need and desire. I wouldn't mind a trip to Vegas, but that's a 24 hour trip by car. 2.5 by air. So by air I'd go UNLESS I had my camper. Then it's an easy 3 day trip down.

If I was going to Seattle, then it's a drive as it's only 3 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel