Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,241,937 times

Advertisements

Flying into Hong Kong at night and seeing the city all lit up and the junks in the harbor at night.

Great thread. There are some amazing sights listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 PM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
I've flown the VFR corridor down the Hudson a number of times. It's fun to look up at the skyscrapers.

Halley's Comet was pretty cool.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:30 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,028,154 times
https://www.youtube.com has Many amazing videos of approaching famous world cities on planes.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:24 AM

547 posts, read 1,050,331 times
What I saw, or what I thought I saw? I was on a flight into Taipei from either Seoul or Tokyo, don't remember which. I had started out flying from New Orleans, and was on my way to Manila. So needless to say I had been in the air for a long time, and was very tired. I normally can't sleep sitting on a plane, unless I am exhausted, which I was at this point. We were on initial approach to Taipei, and it was raining outside. The pilot turned on the landing lights. I woke up and looked out the window. I saw the landing lights reflecting off of the rain, and thought for sure it was the lights reflecting off of the ocean! I came very close to screaming thinking we were about to go into the ocean. Thankfully I did not, as that would have been very embarrassing.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 PM

287 posts, read 360,326 times
3 months ago my wife and I flew into Fairbanks for 4 days with hopes of seeing the Northern Lights. It was the end of the viewing season and the chances of seeing them were not great, but we figured we'd take a chance and fly up there from Texas. At 1Am, about an hour before landing in Fairbanks, we saw them out of the right side of the aircraft. Almost every passenger on the left side of the plane was crowded over to the right side to see them. We were extremely lucky, we saw the Aurora 3 of the 4 nights we were there. Amazing sight to see.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,918,362 times
Flying at night near a city in December during takeoff/approach can be spectacular with all the Christmas lights, that's what I saw on my way home from the Florida Keys. It feels very magical if you were in riding in Santa's Sleigh! There was even a little snow in spots from a recent storm when I was away. Otherwise, probably the Grand Canyon and the front range of the Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel