U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2018, 12:56 PM
 
486 posts, read 720,974 times
Reputation: 1065

Advertisements

I have been researching using an EZ Pass with a rental car, but I can't find much information. I just got an EZ Pass from NY. I plan on renting a car from Hertz in July for one week. I will be driving on the NYS Thruway and the Massachusetts Turnpike. Obviously I plan on using my EZ Pass in the rental car.

I have rented many cars in the past and I have noticed some rental cars have their own transponders attached to the windshields and some rental cars do not have transponders. I DO NOT plan on using Hertz's transponder on toll roads, I want to use my own EZ Pass transponder in the rental car. Here are my questions:

1. Do Hertz's transponders hook to the windshield via velcro? Can I unhook Hertz's transponder, make sure to keep it shut and place in the glove compartment and hook my transponder to the windshield while I am using the rental car?

2. If Hertz's transponder does not come off the windshield (or the car doesn't have a transponder) do I hold up my EZ Pass while I go through the toll gates? Again making sure to keep Hertz's transponder closed at all times as I don't want to activate it.

3. Do I have to add the rental car info to my EZ Pass account? NY says you do not need to add rental cars to your account, but a friend of mine in Pennsylvania just got an EZ Pass and PA says you need to add the rental car info to your account if you plan on using your EZ Pass in a rental car. What gives?

4. What about cashless EZ Pass toll roads while using a rental car? I "ass"-ume my EZ Pass transponder will be read first before the plate is read, which means the toll should be added to my EZ Pass account, instead of Hertz being sent a bill. Good assumption? I don't want to be charged Hertz's transponder daily fee because my EZ Pass transponder was not read correctly by the cashless tolls cameras.

5. I am more concerned with attaching my transponder to the rental car windshield so it can be read correctly. If there are no velcro strips available to attach my transponder what is the best way to attach a transponder to a rental vehicle? I hate having to hold up the transponder while I am driving through a toll gate,plus you don't know when to hold up the transponder when you go through cashless tolls.


Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2018, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Reputation: 3496
I'm answering you based on my experience in this topic in FL. Differences between FL's Sunpass and the EZ Pass in the northeastern states could ruin my accuracy.

1) The instructions should be clearly marked for how to turn off their transponder. Whatever I do or wherever I move it, I just would make sure it is off.
2) Sunpass has suction cups so the transponder can be attached anywhere on the windshield, no worries about removing the other one. That said, holding it up seems to work fine as well.
3) I would add the rental car license plate. Simple enough to do.
4) This is why I would add the rental car license plate.
5) Sunpass normally works when the transponder is just sitting on the dash. Again, the point of putting the license plate on your account is to have a fallback in case the transponder does not work.

Actually, I have rented cars and not even had my transponder with me. But by adding the license plate of the rental to my account, I've had no issues whatsoever. Remember to expire the rental car in your account so that future renters are not also using your account lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 01:07 PM
 
Location: In the land beyond Ohare!
887 posts, read 458,017 times
Reputation: 1932
All the info is here:
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...Splatepass.jsp

I just hold mine up against the window as I drive through the toll plaza, never a issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 01:07 PM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,123 posts, read 17,121,718 times
Reputation: 9974
1. The Hertz EZpass is in a faraday cage box that is glued to the windshield.
2. I had a succubi cup type holder that i used on the "Older/bigger" transponder (but they probably have a smaller one now). - Will look for the link. Other times I would just put it on the dashboard.
3. No you don't need to add the rental car plate to your account... BUT ... Some toll authorities use plate reader and match them to your EZpass account.
4. Cashless Tolls do both, They take a picture and read your EZpass, if they get a good read they don't look at the plate photo.
5. You can call EZPass or stop in one of the Service Offices and get extra Velcro Strips. Do Not hold it place it on the dashboard, Having it in your hand will block/lessen the transponder signal.



https://smile.amazon.com/eZpassClip-...tion+cup+mount

...

Keep/Save your EZPass Bill so if Hertz Charges you can show them you paid the toll on your EZPass, they should remove the charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 PM
 
9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Reputation: 33722
Most of the rental cars I've been in with transponders have them in a box with a hinge where you open it to use the transponder and close it when you don't want it used.

Similar to:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 01:47 PM
 
9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Reputation: 33722
Oh, and if there is a way to remove their transponder, don't just stick it in the glove box. My sister learned the hard way that doing so doesn't always block the signal. She wound up getting charged on the transponder she was using as well as the one she put in the glove box.

Wrapping it in tin foil is the best way to ensure the signal is definitely blocked. That's what EZPass has you do if you ever mail back a transponder. That prevents accidental charges in transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,093,885 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

1. Do Hertz's transponders hook to the windshield via velcro? Can I unhook Hertz's transponder, make sure to keep it shut and place in the glove compartment and hook my transponder to the windshield while I am using the rental car?



As others have mentioned, most rental cars have a "permanent" pass that you need to make sure is in the off position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

2. If Hertz's transponder does not come off the windshield (or the car doesn't have a transponder) do I hold up my EZ Pass while I go through the toll gates? Again making sure to keep Hertz's transponder closed at all times as I don't want to activate it.
I usually just leave the pass on the dashboard and the pass readers never seem to have a problem detecting the pass.


Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

3. Do I have to add the rental car info to my EZ Pass account? NY says you do not need to add rental cars to your account, but a friend of mine in Pennsylvania just got an EZ Pass and PA says you need to add the rental car info to your account if you plan on using your EZ Pass in a rental car. What gives?

4. What about cashless EZ Pass toll roads while using a rental car? I "ass"-ume my EZ Pass transponder will be read first before the plate is read, which means the toll should be added to my EZ Pass account, instead of Hertz being sent a bill. Good assumption? I don't want to be charged Hertz's transponder daily fee because my EZ Pass transponder was not read correctly by the cashless tolls cameras.


Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
I suggest adding the rental car to your account. Just remember to remove it once you have dropped off the car. Some toll lanes are supposed to read a pass at highway speeds but it is possible for it to be missed. If you have it added to your account, you can use it as proof that you intended to use your own account and can help with disputing charges with the rental company


Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
5. I am more concerned with attaching my transponder to the rental car windshield so it can be read correctly. If there are no velcro strips available to attach my transponder what is the best way to attach a transponder to a rental vehicle? I hate having to hold up the transponder while I am driving through a toll gate,plus you don't know when to hold up the transponder when you go through cashless tolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Like I said I usually leave it on the dash, if you want to be a bit more secure, I would attach suction cups like they have on the sunpasses but I wouldn't risk attaching with the velcro since that could be considered damaging the car.

Also be aware that even if you take precautions, it is possible that you get a bill from the rental company for a toll. Just be sure to double check that you weren't also charged on your personal pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 03:45 PM
 
20,706 posts, read 13,720,547 times
Reputation: 14378
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I have been researching using an EZ Pass with a rental car, but I can't find much information. I just got an EZ Pass from NY. I plan on renting a car from Hertz in July for one week. I will be driving on the NYS Thruway and the Massachusetts Turnpike. Obviously I plan on using my EZ Pass in the rental car.

I have rented many cars in the past and I have noticed some rental cars have their own transponders attached to the windshields and some rental cars do not have transponders. I DO NOT plan on using Hertz's transponder on toll roads, I want to use my own EZ Pass transponder in the rental car. Here are my questions:

1. Do Hertz's transponders hook to the windshield via velcro? Can I unhook Hertz's transponder, make sure to keep it shut and place in the glove compartment and hook my transponder to the windshield while I am using the rental car?

2. If Hertz's transponder does not come off the windshield (or the car doesn't have a transponder) do I hold up my EZ Pass while I go through the toll gates? Again making sure to keep Hertz's transponder closed at all times as I don't want to activate it.

3. Do I have to add the rental car info to my EZ Pass account? NY says you do not need to add rental cars to your account, but a friend of mine in Pennsylvania just got an EZ Pass and PA says you need to add the rental car info to your account if you plan on using your EZ Pass in a rental car. What gives?

4. What about cashless EZ Pass toll roads while using a rental car? I "ass"-ume my EZ Pass transponder will be read first before the plate is read, which means the toll should be added to my EZ Pass account, instead of Hertz being sent a bill. Good assumption? I don't want to be charged Hertz's transponder daily fee because my EZ Pass transponder was not read correctly by the cashless tolls cameras.

5. I am more concerned with attaching my transponder to the rental car windshield so it can be read correctly. If there are no velcro strips available to attach my transponder what is the best way to attach a transponder to a rental vehicle? I hate having to hold up the transponder while I am driving through a toll gate,plus you don't know when to hold up the transponder when you go through cashless tolls.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Live in NYC and rent vehicles all the time. Also have own EZPass that use instead of "renting" one from whatever company and paying their inflated prices.


Depending upon what type of EZPass you have it may or may not be necessary to add a rented or borrowed vehicle. Those who have EZPass on the Go which is not attached to any particular vehicle are fine. If you have an account with one or more vehicles attached best thing to do is contact EZPass directly for instructions.


Car rental/share companies have basically two types of EZpass or whatever. Those you rent and are given at start of rental. These are attached to windshield, visor or wherever so can be read. For these no, you don't need to do anything but decline to take/rent an EZPass and simply use your own as you would normally.


The other types are built into the vehicle somewhere (PlatePass) but there should be a way to disable.


See: https://platepass.com/locations/faq/...northeast-u-s/


12. What if I have my own transponder?


You are welcome to bring your own transponder in your rental car. If you bring your
E-ZPass transponder with you in the rental car during your trip, please be sure to close the EZShield box so that the PlatePass transponder will not be activated.


Attaching EZpass transponder.


Unless there is some sort of Velcro or whatever on visor you'll indeed have to hold the thing up as you pass through tolls. That or purchase any of the various "suction cup" or similar devices that attach to inside of windshield . Just Google "EZPass holder" to find various types for sale.




Toll Less Roads:


Again if you want your EzPass account charged and not Hertz's Platepass, same as above. You must disable the latter to ensure only former is read. Under such circumstances it would be wise to purchase something that will securely hold your EZPass. That is unless you want the distraction of having to be aware of where toll readers are and ensuring you are holding up your EZPass so it can be correctly read. Don't recommend this while driving at speed, especially in a rented vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
Reputation: 15495
I owned an EZpass when I lived in NYC and rented cars all the time. I would just hold my own ezpass to the window as I went through tolls and never had a problem.

I never registered rental plates, and I used my pass in NY, NJ, PA, MA, among others. No issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,022 posts, read 21,719,486 times
Reputation: 22165
Just drove a hertz rental car yesterday in New Jersey. It has the ez pass on the windshield that you slide to activate, just like hertfordshire’s picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top