Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 02:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times

Advertisements

"Felt up upon ingress" = Hyperbole pegged at 11, smoke coming out of machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 02:38 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
How inexpensive should it be to fly?

I mean, it's a metal tube flying in the air at 35,000 feet requiring two highly-skilled pilots along with crew and maintenance staff and everything else.

It's not a Greyhound bus chugging along the highway.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:47 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
When did I say anything about that?
I think the point was that Iceland hasn't been a notable terror target while the US has, when four planes were used as weapons in one day to name just one major attack. ...

Old 07-07-2018, 06:05 PM

830 posts, read 486,756 times
There's lots to hate:

- Long lines for security, boarding flights, transferring
- Frequent flight delays
- The ever shrinking airline seat
- The ever shrinking airline meal
- Having to disturb your neighbor or be disturbed by your neighbor when nature calls

But I still feel like I enjoy air travel more than most, because:

- I'm on vacation!
- I'm (usually) going somewhere fun!
- I get to sit unbothered and read for several hours.
- I love looking out plane windows.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:48 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
I wish you would have mentioned your age. Maybe you're too young to remember better days?

Maybe one reasons people hate it is because they understand how it's deteriorated. I've been flying since I was in my teens, and I find everything infuriating - the rude staff, the ignorant staff, the unaccommodating staff, the wait, the deteriorating (or vanished) food, the inaccessibility of flight "secrets," the crazily unreliable pricing, the vanished idea of reduced-priced round-trips, the gouging of customers for every possible thing, the expectation that the public will do things for free that the airlines used to do (like book tickets), the disappearance of actual "reservations" - and that's just off the top of my head.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was just commenting on my most recent experience. I never said anything about it being a representative of everyone entering the US. Ive gone through US customs before, and never experienced anything like last week. I think its uncalled for to have a boarder patrol agent board the plane and start screaming at the passangers. I know others feel differently, but that is just my feelings on the situation.

Am I not allowed to have experiences that differ from others?

Why did they enter the plane? Was there a security threat? Troubling intel? If you don't know then why are you flying off the handle about what is "called for" or not if you have no clue? Maybe it was very much "called for".

Old 07-07-2018, 07:44 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So US Customs can process containers coming into the United States. What alternative do you propose? People are switching to domestic flights, if you don't process luggage at port of entry you'd have to do it after every domestic flight all over the country.
Seems to work in the Schengen zone. I fly LAX to Copenhagen via CDG, and my suitcase shows up in Copenhagen without me having to bother along the way.

What is more, you have to clear US customs even if you're changing to an international destination.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
...the expectation that the public will do things for free that the airlines used to do (like book tickets), the disappearance of actual "reservations" - and that's just off the top of my head.
Huh? When did airlines book tickets for passengers without passengers initiating the process? There are still reservations. What?

Old 07-07-2018, 09:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why did they enter the plane? Was there a security threat? Troubling intel? If you don't know then why are you flying off the handle about what is "called for" or not if you have no clue? Maybe it was very much "called for".
Flying off the handles? Yeah... Not at all.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Seems to work in the Schengen zone. I fly LAX to Copenhagen via CDG, and my suitcase shows up in Copenhagen without me having to bother along the way.

What is more, you have to clear US customs even if you're changing to an international destination.
There are a lot of small airports including my home one that do not have ICE services or have them only on call for general aviation flights. Given that 85% of US flyers are on purely domestic routes, it’s more cost-effective for the system as a whole to have both immigration and customs at the point of entry rather than requiring airports that may have fewer than ten international to international connections a day provide a sterile transit area with comfort services.

The USDA also is far stricter about imported pests and non-native species than the EU is. One cluster of medfly larvae brought in on an orange or package of dried figs to an airport in south Florida can trigger a million dollar eradication effort and far more than than in crop loss of not contained.

Fun fact- the USDA specifically uses beagles to look for contraband food in airports because they are both very food-driven and people find them non-threatening and cute and they prefer to use dogs that typically reduce stress in passengers rather than increasing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel