Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 03:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,572,517 times

Advertisements

possible terrorism on the plane

possible hijacking on the plane

seats can be very uncomfortable for people with long legs, too cramped, medical problems can be exacerbated during flights

long flights become too grueling, very stale air, terrible bathroom conditions, cramped in one's seat, being cooped up for hours, food can be a problem

feeling physically out of sorts and unwell after flights; for some flights that are long, enduring jet lag afterward making one feel unwell or too tired

babies and young children, and their motor-mouth incessantly babbling parents

people who always insist on lowering their seat into your kneecaps, smashing your kneecaps against their completely unnecessary lowered seat or destroying your personal space, forcing you to remain that way for hours

Last edited by matisse12; 07-04-2018 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 03:35 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,015,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The business model was that is was far more exclusive and thus more expensive.

I could argue it, I'm honestly baffled at people who imply they are treated like vermin. Airline staff usually politely greet me when they scan my ticket at the gate, and when I board the plane. If they are coming through serving drinks they inquire what I'd like, they serve it, and we're good.

I will agree with this ..... I am unfailingly polite and courteous to every employee and other passenger I come in contact with..... pays HUGE dividends in the long run.....

Old 07-04-2018, 03:53 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,664,222 times
It's uncomfortable unless you pony up for first class; people (including me) are cranky; seats are getting smaller; waiting, taking shoes off at security and unpacking your laptop; and the stupid fees they tack on like a fee for a checked bag.

There is nothing enjoyable about flying. Nada. I'd much rather hop in my super comfy Lexus and drive it if it would take a day or less. If I'm going out west to Vegas or something, though, I'll bite the bullet and fly. But it's not fun.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:55 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,283,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Interesting. I managed to do it three times last month alone.
It isn't interesting, it is a sign of how things have changed. They don't have the connections and services in flying they once did. You could fly non-stop to many places and many flights in the same day, and now it is connections and layovers plus the security delays. I realize the economics and the security reasons of why it has changed, but for my business travel I must stay overnight in a hotel. So I limit flying as much as possible, because it is such a waste of time and a great inconvenience.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:11 PM

16,412 posts, read 12,473,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
It isn't interesting, it is a sign of how things have changed. They don't have the connections and services in flying they once did. You could fly non-stop to many places and many flights in the same day, and now it is connections and layovers plus the security delays. I realize the economics and the security reasons of why it has changed, but for my business travel I must stay overnight in a hotel. So I limit flying as much as possible, because it is such a waste of time and a great inconvenience.

I don't have much problem getting non-stops. My airport has 62 non-stop destinations, and I've been to 7 of them this year without an overnight stay. But I have the benefit of being in the middle of the east coast, so I can reach a lot of cities easily.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:27 PM

17,515 posts, read 13,304,454 times
Having flown 4-6 times a week for 30 years, it just isn't fun to fly anymore.

Rude people, crowds, being crammed in a seat that is 3/4th the size of my a$$ (and, I'm not that big).....I till have a half a million miles left and will use them (but not like it)

The airlines do not care about their passengers anymore

Driving
Every
Loyal
Traveller
Away

Old 07-04-2018, 06:02 PM

3,066 posts, read 1,989,690 times
I'm afraid to fly.

I was in a plane crash at 21.

I was on a plane as a teen, when the wing broke & the inexperienced flight attendant announced it to everyone, causing a dozen men with briefcases to rush the doors. Where were they going??? I was in my late 20s. Flight attendants blocked the doors, the "men" wouldn't sit down, even after the pilot announced that anyone standing would be arrested when the plane eventually landed. It was so frightening, with babies crying, people screaming, seated men trying to get the scared standing men to sit down, I now have no memory if they sat down or refused, but the police were at the gate when we eventually landed. I headed to another gate to take my connecting flight... oh, bloody joy.

I've been stuck on planes twice that circled the airport for over 1-1/2 hrs, sometimes flying almost sideways... don't recall why, but back to #1, I'm already afraid to fly.

I was on a plane from Boston to Vegas that experienced such terrible turbulence for a long time, people's heads hit the ceiling. The flight in front of us was worse... several came off with neck collars (didn't know they had them on planes... I saw it on the news that evening after I landed)... Dom DiMaggio was one of the passengers with a neck injury. (Look him up, whippersnappers!)

I was flying into Boston on 9/11, the airport was chaos & I had to walk 4.5-mi home, through the tunnel, where you're not supposed to walk... all the cabs & busses were gone & Logan was absolute pandemonium. It was frightening cuz no one knew what was happening & initial reports from screaming people in the airport was that Boston was being bombed, Boston planes were being bombed, Boston planes were flying into buildings in Boston. I just wanted to leave. Never did get my luggage back.

Last minute flights are too pricey.

I'm thin & always seated next to or in-between 2 obese & sometimes sweating, unpleasant smelling people... being afraid to fly, I'm so claustrophobic in those circumstances, I almost crawl out of my skin.

Being a tall, white blonde, I'm always pulled out of line & made an example of each time I fly, patted down as an extra security check at the gate... sometimes twice... in front of all... to show the others that they're not being pigeon-holed as possible terrorists.

There's not enough leg room... I have very long legs... so I feel extra claustrophobic.

Last time I flew was 2010 (summer, I think), from PA to San Diego. 12-14 on the plane got measles... I was one of them. Google it.

There's more. I'll stop now. I don't like planes. I'll drive unless I have no viable option.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:29 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,251,206 times
I hate the security process.
I hate the rudeness of people in such a closed environment.
I do not like not being in control of the situation.
I HATE sitting next to people who are unclean or who reek of alcohol or tobacco.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,810,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
It's uncomfortable unless you pony up for first class; people (including me) are cranky; seats are getting smaller; waiting, taking shoes off at security and unpacking your laptop; and the stupid fees they tack on like a fee for a checked bag.
Throwing a modest amount of money at getting TSA PreCheck and extra leg room seats on flight segments that are going to be more than two hours, and getting the airline's co-branded credit card fixes a lot of those things.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:38 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,136,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post

There is nothing enjoyable about flying. Nada. I'd much rather hop in my super comfy Lexus and drive it if it would take a day or less. If I'm going out west to Vegas or something, though, I'll bite the bullet and fly. But it's not fun.
Different perspective. Vastly different. I pony up for First Class when someone else is paying, which this year has been "always." I can bury the cost somewhere. Since we end up buying tickets at t-minus one week, more often than not, there isn't a huge delta cattle to comfort-plus to First, usually. Same with exotic smaller airports who like to gouge people, and there are several, so from Seattle you're paying a thousand bucks or more anyway short-notice.

Flying that way is almost enjoyable. You often...not always...get a meal, and attentive service, and always have enough room to do your thing which for me is reports and other work. Crammed into a seat with no legroom that traps me for three to five hours is totally unacceptable, and I don't "have to" do it anymore.

Further, being seated first in the lines, and exiting rapidly, plus usually (not always) having your bag come out as one of the first makes it all worthwhile.

I have no complaints about flying this year, six longer-haul CONUS trips in the US since April 1, almost all with one stop, so call it roughly twenty two "legs" all First Class (round trip) since then. Only way to go, man. If absolutely necessary, the next tier down (Comfort Plus, on Delta) is marginally acceptable too.

Spending quality time in the Delta or Centurion lounges in places like SEA and SLC (two nice ones) reduces my stress further. I don't wait around with crying brats and other BS at the gate. Not a chance in hell. At my flight time, I stroll over and wait just a few minutes, if at all.

Add TSA Pre to every flight, and of-late CLEAR, and it's become enjoyable almost. I don't take shoes off or have anything searched, it's just that fast through security. Limo to and from the airport (town car), I call it good since no more parking to deal with, either. Hell with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel