Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There is a REAL Florida, and it's awesome, but it's hard to find
Do tell, I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 07:27 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of a train you can get up walk along the train, go to the buffet car, have a hot or cold meal, enjoy a beer or a glass of wine, use your phone, tablet or lap top.
Wait, they prohibit you from using your phone or tablet on buses? That's bizarre, which bus line have you been taking?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:37 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Do tell, I'm all ears.
Florida springs and paddling down streams. Pine forests. Strip malls with really awesome Cuban or Thai or Vietnamese food. Jingle bell jog and turkey trot 5K races in 60 degree weather. Oddball museums like the Mount Dora Modernism Museum (they've got David Bowie's breakfast table, y'all). The beaches we don't tell tourists about. Going to see the manatees at the power plant outflow channel. (google electric manatee; it's actually pretty cool) Picnics involving Publix subs. Actual local seafood and not the imported farm dreck they serve tourists at the beach places. The coast road between Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach. Old forts and fortresses.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I take it your American as not many people in Europe or Asia would agree with that statement.

I also take it you are talking aboit Journey over several hours and are referring to a bus such as a Greyhound.

In terms of a train you can get up walk along the train, go to the buffet car, have a hot or cold meal, enjoy a beer or a glass of wine, use your phone, tablet or lap top.

There are numerous toilets and facilities and the train goes two or three times the speed of the bus.

The bus option involves you beng cramped in a bus with a trolley service serving a few snacks and sandwiches, one toilet, dodgy wifi on a service that is much slower and is subject to traffic jams.

I would take the train over the bus any day of the week.
Yeah, that's definitely not the US experience.

I frequently need to travel from Raleigh to Northern Virginia, which is about 5.5 hours by car through areas with very very heavy traffic. I HATE driving, but I begrudingly do it because there are times that I need my car up there. But my first choice (if cost is not a factor) is to fly. I leave home an hour and a half prior to my flight, actual flight time is less than an hour, and my final destination is 15 minutes from the airport. So door to door is roughly three hours.

I won't even consider the bus for a myriad of reasons (some of which you mention). The train actually takes longer than driving (about 6.5 hours of actual travel time, plus an extra hour of subway travel and 15 minutes driving to reach my final destination). There really isn't a buffet bar. There is a car where you can get unhealthy snacks or microwaved burgers/hot dogs. No beer or wine that I recall. It is relaxing passive travel, but it just takes too long, and if there's any sort of delay, it can add hours to the trip. And gawd help you if you're seated anywhere near the bathroom. The smell is atrocious!

Old 10-05-2018, 07:50 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Florida springs and paddling down streams. Pine forests. Strip malls with really awesome Cuban or Thai or Vietnamese food. Jingle bell jog and turkey trot 5K races in 60 degree weather. Oddball museums like the Mount Dora Modernism Museum (they've got David Bowie's breakfast table, y'all). The beaches we don't tell tourists about. Going to see the manatees at the power plant outflow channel. (google electric manatee; it's actually pretty cool) Picnics involving Publix subs. Actual local seafood and not the imported farm dreck they serve tourists at the beach places. The coast road between Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach. Old forts and fortresses.
As a Florida resident for the past 45 years, who has lived in South Florida, North Florida, and now Central Florida, I applaud this post. If you've only seen Florida south of Orlando you haven't seen Florida.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Wait, they prohibit you from using your phone or tablet on buses? That's bizarre, which bus line have you been taking?
No but the wifi signal and facilities including tables and indeed soace are far better on a train.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yeah, that's definitely not the US experience.

I frequently need to travel from Raleigh to Northern Virginia, which is about 5.5 hours by car through areas with very very heavy traffic. I HATE driving, but I begrudingly do it because there are times that I need my car up there. But my first choice (if cost is not a factor) is to fly. I leave home an hour and a half prior to my flight, actual flight time is less than an hour, and my final destination is 15 minutes from the airport. So door to door is roughly three hours.

I won't even consider the bus for a myriad of reasons (some of which you mention). The train actually takes longer than driving (about 6.5 hours of actual travel time, plus an extra hour of subway travel and 15 minutes driving to reach my final destination). There really isn't a buffet bar. There is a car where you can get unhealthy snacks or microwaved burgers/hot dogs. No beer or wine that I recall. It is relaxing passive travel, but it just takes too long, and if there's any sort of delay, it can add hours to the trip. And gawd help you if you're seated anywhere near the bathroom. The smell is atrocious!
The train can be expensive in the UK if you just turn up and buy a ticket and vreserve a seat, however if you book in advance it's much cheaper and the system is currently being reviewed in order to make it simpiler.

However in terms of the overall train experience on longer journeys it's much better than the bus.

LNER | London North Eastern Railway

Virgin Trains: Buy Train Tickets, Check Fares & Train Times

Great Western Railway | First Great Western

Eurostar.com: Book Europe Train Tickets and Holidays

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-05-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 10-05-2018, 09:37 AM

In terms of coach journeys the UK's largest coach operator is National Express, who are a member of Eurolines services, which is basically a Greyhound network across Europe. The main international coach station in England is Victoria in London.

Coach Travel & Airport Transfers | National Express Coaches

Travel with Eurolines | Great Offers all Year Round‎

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-05-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-05-2018, 11:01 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Cruises can be wonderful, especially with kids, but I never want to set foot on a 4500-passenger floating shopping mall again in my life. The emphasis on shop-shop-shop, onboard and at every port, is ridiculous.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:38 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
People dress like dirty slobs when flying.
Don't care. If the bits are covered and there's no odor, wear what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel