Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 09:00 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Oh god yes. For crying out loud, Tampa/St. Pete does NOT have a food scene. I live here and I KNOW the food sucks!
I visit family in the Tampa Bay area every year during the holidays. Chains, chains, freaking chains everywhere! Outside of that, the seafood scene is disappointing - mostly fried for the tourists to say "OMG I'm eating seafood on the coast!" within their comfort zone. I notice this problem in a lot of other tourist-heavy coastal areas as well. I'll say, there are some diamonds in the rough, but you really have to look for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 03:25 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I visit family in the Tampa Bay area every year during the holidays. Chains, chains, freaking chains everywhere! Outside of that, the seafood scene is disappointing - mostly fried for the tourists to say "OMG I'm eating seafood on the coast!" within their comfort zone. I notice this problem in a lot of other tourist-heavy coastal areas as well. I'll say, there are some diamonds in the rough, but you really have to look for them.
I agree, it's horrible!

Old 10-26-2018, 05:35 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
My experience suggests that kids under the age of 8 just don’t travel well. They have short attention spans, get restless, squirm, and act out. And that holds even for things like short bus rides and commuter rail trips, never mind long haul train and bus and flying trips. You don’t do them or your fellow travelers any favors by having them travel this way.

Just drive when you take them, so they can be occupied and belted in and well fed — and nobody else has to suffer their behavior. Or leave them home with a sitter.
Couldn't agree more! Plus if they're really young they won't remember the trip anyway.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:59 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Quote:
I agree, it's horrible!
Not a fan of Bern's Steakhouse?

Old 10-26-2018, 07:16 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Not a fan of Bern's Steakhouse?
Bern's Steak House is a great place for wine lovers but the food is extremely overrated. You will always find Bern's listed as a top wine list restaurant but you will never find Bern's on any list of top places for its food. This is why it's always winning awards for its wine list but never for its food.

If you can find great Thai, Japanese, Mexican, African, Indian, New American, Farm to Table, cuisine etc. in Tampa/St. Pete, your standards are way WAY too low. I don't live in Tampa for the restaurants. I live here for the winters and the cheaper housing (and other) costs. But a "foodie paradise" it most certainly is not. People here love chain restaurant food, and most independent restaurants go out of business quickly.

The last time I went to a new, highly-rated-on-Yelp, "Austin-style" taco joint in Tampa, they were dunking the tortillas in water and putting Old Bay seasoning on them (which of course were from a bag).

That should explain everything about the Tampa/St. Pete food scene right there.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:32 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Bern's Steak House is a great place for wine lovers but the food is extremely overrated. You will always find Bern's listed as a top wine list restaurant but you will never find Bern's on any list of top places for its food. This is why it's always winning awards for its wine list but never for its food.
I guess I can agree on the food. By no means is it bad, but it's not world shatteringly good either. It's just a good solid meal. Bern's shines in its wine list, as you mentioned, and in the excellent service, with one server never having more than two tables.

It's also just an interesting place vibe-wise, with a "love it or hate it" decor, all the different dining rooms and no windows. I also love the concept of the separate "dessert room"

Quote:
The last time I went to a new, highly-rated-on-Yelp, "Austin-style" taco joint in Tampa, they were dunking the tortillas in water and putting Old Bay seasoning on them (which of course were from a bag).

That should explain everything about the Tampa/St. Pete food scene right there.
I don't even know where to begin with that.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:02 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
The more a city brags about its restaurant scene, the less I am impressed with the food quality. The food scene is absolutely no reason to visit anywhere.
This is a very good point. A high number of restaurants per capita does not necessarily translate to good quality food.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:25 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Awesome, I am glad to hear about others collecting magnets, too. Unfortunately our new refrigerator is not magnetic, so we bought these really cool framed magnet display boards and have one in our kitchen and one in our family room, each with about 40 magnets.
Yes, magnets are fun.... I have far too many now to fit them on the refrigerator.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:52 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
We had a thing where I used to work. Anyone in the office who took a trip brought back key chains from wherever they went. Some people amassed quite a collection and kept them in their offices.

I now have key chains lying around my house from all sorts of places, including a bunch of extras I brought back from London.

Interesting that someone else mentioned rocks. I too pick up rocks when I travel and put them in my garden, but mostly from the US and Canada. I didn't bring any back from Europe.

I have a rock with fossils of sea creatures from Red Rock Canyon outside of Vegas, and I have a rock I stepped on in the Gulf of Mexico when in Florida that looks volcanic. Pink granite from Vermont, too.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:57 AM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
An infrequent traveler can be spotted a mile away... Which makes them easier to dodge, get around or ignore totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel