Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,824,916 times

Advertisements

This is why google is your friend:

https://www.tripping.com/guides/week...ys-from-tulsa/

Top 10 budget weekend getaways - TulsaPeople - July 2009 - Tulsa, OK

https://www.tripsavvy.com/getaways-from-okc-2517140
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:03 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,706,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Oh, COME ON, Man!
Do you need someone to jump up and down and play peek-a-boo with you? Do you have to have loud music and people parading around in some sort of costume before you have 'anything to do'?
Anyone with half a brain knows what ghost towns are all about. Either you are interested or you are not. I have lots of patience with those who are not interested, but you are pretending to be ignorant on a scale I have never seen.
I stumbled across some small towns in Texas on my road trip, many of them are not exactly ghost towns but dying. The abandoned buildings constantly reminded me how depressing the town was, how much damage globalization and urbanization have done to small towns.

I guess I'm not interested. I can't understand why there are people who enjoy ghost towns, dead malls, and the likes.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:09 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,824,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I stumbled across some small towns in Texas on my road trip, many of them are not exactly ghost towns but dying. The abandoned buildings constantly reminded me how depressing the town was, how much damage globalization and urbanization have done to small towns.

I guess I'm not interested. I can't understand why there are people who enjoy ghost towns, dead malls, and the likes.
I don't think you understand what "ghost towns" really are. You can use it to describe dead towns but really in terms of travel sights they are in regards to old abandoned "wild west" towns that have some historical significance.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:10 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,339,051 times
How about hiking?

https://rootsrated.com/stories/9-of-...ikes-in-kansas

Old 07-25-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
OP, sounds like you want something to entertain you, like sitting and watching a movie. You *don't* want to entertain yourself, like reading a book. Is that a fair assessment? If yes, then you have to spend money, usually an ever-increasing amount as once you've been entertained by a thing once, it doesn't do as good of a job the next time, diminishing every time past that. Can't help you there.

I can encourage you to try entertaining yourself. You asked "anything to do in ghost towns?" and immediately I thought about photography and history. I grew up not too far from a mining community/ghost town and would head up there occasionally just to get away from people/noise. I'd fish, or pan for gold, walk around the area and dig up old relics. As I got a little older, I'd started researching the history of the place, found it fascinating to stand in the spot where someone was gunned down after pulling an old-fashion stage-coach heist. Were I to go back now, the pictures would be the main thing I'd focus on... Point is, I found my own things "to do" there. The same is true for ANY place you happen to be.
Your assessment isn't very accurate. I am an avid reader and programmer, but I can read a book at home, why bother to travel? However, I don't bother to do a lot of work to entertain myself.

I guess I'm in between.

By the way, I've heard that recreational mining is a thing in South Dakota, not sure if there's anything to dig in Oklahoma.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:18 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,382,982 times
Yet another Eeyore, woe is them, they're so bored and can't find anything to do....

Sadly, there is no (external) help for these people. OP, your life is going to continue to be the same it is now until YOU change. Not the places you go, or the things around you... You.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Yet another Eeyore, woe is them, they're so bored and can't find anything to do....

Sadly, there is no (external) help for these people. OP, your life is going to continue to be the same it is now until YOU change. Not the places you go, or the things around you... You.
I have plenty of interesting things to do without leaving home at all, but I feel I'm missing weekend trips and outdoor opportunities by living in Oklahoma.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:54 PM

https://www.travelok.com/western_heritage_and_cowboys

Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,458,696 times
In Nebraska, plenty of Oregon Trail historic sites plus my favorite: Carhenge

Old 07-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
In Nebraska, plenty of Oregon Trail historic sites plus my favorite: Carhenge

We visited Arthur, stayed there overnight, and had a brilliant time. Best burgers I've ever had, we waited till after lunch before we left the town so that we could eat in the diner again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel