Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I live in Orange County in Southern California and I'm a native so while there's "plenty to do" along the coast, from LA to San Diego, it's full of crowds and traffic and smog etc. Hubs and I LOVE our road trips OUT of the area, but most of our trips have been longer, a week or more because we travel to where we want to be! (And we usually go off season to avoid the crowds. ) The PNW is stunning, Utah, Wyoming, Black Hills of South Dakota, Northern Arizona etc.

The problem we have with So. Cal, is that we have to drive 2 to 4 hours to get out of the mega sprawl that is So. California. 75 miles south is San Diego, which is a very fun city, but the traffic to get there is horrible and it's crowded. One of our favorite places to visit in San Diego County and outside of the city and suburbs, is a little mountain town in Southeast called Julian, but the last time we went it was a zoo!! A little snow fell, so it was hard to find parking and the lines to get into the apple pie shops went down the block.

45 miles north is LA which goes on forever and we only go there once in a while for specific events or to visiting friends, then I can't WAIT to get out of there! Lol!

To the east is more traffic and sprawl, and once you go beyond that, a lot of desert, and rather ugly desert at that. (In my opinion of course) unless we're going to the San Bernardino Mountains, but again the traffic to get there is nasty, so we just have to make sure we have the time to get to where we really want to go, which for us it's scenic drives, hiking, bike riding, people watching, small towns, mom and pop diners, nature, mountains, GREEN!
But that's just us!

So... most importantly you need to narrow down what it is you like to do and the environments you enjoy! Look at a map, draw a circle of how far you're willing to drive, then look up specific places on Tripadvisor which provides a wealth of information for travelers from "ThingsTo Do" to where to eat and stay, etc. and very helpful forums.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ka_Kansas.html

When we travel, Tripadvisor is my right hand man!

If there is absolutely nothing inspiring within a few hours, you're just going to have to face facts and deal with the reality that weekend getaways just wont be fun for you, and you'll need to focus on the longer week long vacations.

If relocating is a possibility for you, and you really enjoy museums, lots of diversity,(that brings with it tons of yummy food!) the humming sound of the city etc. You might be more well suited for a megalopolis type of environment. Southern California, (crazy expensive, plan on a roomate or two or renting a room) the Northeast, mid Atlantic, even South like Atlanta or Miami, Florida?

Or if you're finding a lack of beauty, wildlife and nature where you live and that's what you crave, look for those areas to live.

BTW, we're actually looking for a place to relocate ourselves (since my hubs can work remotely now) where we're closer to all the things we love, and away from the crazy crowds, traffic, smog and expense we do NOT care for.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:52 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
So... most importantly you need to narrow down what it is you like to do and the environments you enjoy! Look at a map, draw a circle of how far you're willing to drive, then look up specific places on Tripadvisor which provides a wealth of information for travelers from "ThingsTo Do" to where to eat and stay, etc. and very helpful forums.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ka_Kansas.html

When we travel, Tripadvisor is my right hand man!

If there is absolutely nothing inspiring within a few hours, you're just going to have to face facts and deal with the reality that weekend getaways just wont be fun for you, and you'll need to focus on the longer week long vacations.
You win the thread, Podo944! There's no magic solution to the OP's dilemma.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:08 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,773 times
There are interesting places to see within a 3 hour drive of Tulsa. Alas, no Disney World so OP will probably remain bored.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
who wouldn't want to see the world's largest hand dug well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Well_(Kansas)

Old 07-27-2018, 11:34 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You win the thread, Podo944! There's no magic solution to the OP's dilemma.
Podo944 is right.

Actually, I've started looking for new job opportunities to relocate.

In general, life in Oklahoma isn't that bad, but it's the most isolated and boring place I've ever lived.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
who wouldn't want to see the world's largest hand dug well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Well_(Kansas)
Hand dug you say? Impressive.

And they also have the world's largest pallasite meteorite? Seems like a 2 for 1 deal on admission.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:55 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times
Not just for the OP but for anyone following, there is plenty to do in Flyover Country (using the areas between the Rockies and the Appalachian Mountain Range definition).

The following are in my definition of Flyover Country:

- The Texas Hill Country
- The Carlsbad Caverns area
- The Black Hills
- The Badlands of SD
- The Shawnee and Hoosier Forests of IL/IN that will shock you if your thought that IL/IN is just Chicagoland with a bunch of corn.
- The Ozarks and Ouachita's
- The Cumberland Plateau in KY/TN/AL which contains hundred's of waterfalls
- Lakes all over the place which contain abundant fishing opportunities and are pretty scenic
- Cities like Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, Kansas City, Louisville, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Nashville, New Orleans, and San Antonio which are all worth a visit.
- The scenery around MN, WI, MI, and even Eastern OH

To just skip out on "Flyover Country" will cause one to miss out on a lot of America.

I will be the first to admit that Tulsa isn't the most happening area in the world but it is close to some pretty nice scenic areas of the Ouachita's and the Ozarks. There is much more to the Ozarks than just Branson as well. There are plenty of lakes, caves, secluded rugged hills, and charming communities in that area. Some of the largest springs in the world occur in the eastern edge of the Ozarks and away from the more touristy areas.

If you know a bit of history and are willing to do a bit of research then just doing things like neighborhood walks for a weekend can take an interesting and fascinating turn.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:09 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
The Kansas City Renaissance Festival in Bonner Springs, KS runs weekends in September and early October. It's a very well-run festival with lots to do. Good entertainment, good food, free parking. We really enjoyed it a few years ago.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:05 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
The Kansas City Renaissance Festival in Bonner Springs, KS runs weekends in September and early October. It's a very well-run festival with lots to do. Good entertainment, good food, free parking. We really enjoyed it a few years ago.
I will definitely try!

4 hours' drive is slightly more than what I'm comfortable with but I can deal with it.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:28 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
I would relocate, honestly, given your thought processes and desires. St. Louis and Memphis are 6 hours away by car, a bit far, but reachable.

But looking at a map, yeah, Tulsa is a rough spot for finding interesting places to go that are reasonably close by. And it's a city that doesn't lend itself well to cheap flights. I once had to fly from Tulsa to Spokane, WA for business. Went through Dallas. Not fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel