Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:28 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I once had a maid steal a ring I accidentally left on the night stand. Fortunately it was returned. And my entire stay was comped.

At one hotel the maids never took any of the tips. I have no idea why. My BF thinks it's because I just left them on the entry table.
Like my above post, I never took tips on a stayover unless there was a note that the money was a tip. Even just some change thrown on a table. You don't want to give any possibility of being labelled a thief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:37 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Have you ever stayed in a motel before?

Old 07-27-2018, 11:55 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Couldn't believe the crazy encounter we recently had with the hotel housekeeper.

We didn't need our room cleaned, just needed towels & Kleenex.
Had asked the housekeeper in the middle of cleaning the room next door, and she screamed at us for asking for items 3 different times!!
She started yelling like a lunatic, and pointing aggressively.
She was oblivious that we were CONSIDERATE enough to not need her to clean our room! We could not believe how atrocious she was!
Complained to management who had to do some damage control. This is in the US btw.
Have never encountered such crazy behavior from hotel staff/ housekeeping & am avid traveler!

Was still sooo upset the next day, came across her just as I was about to leave the floor, and had to have the final say, "You have a terrible attitude. Hope you lose your job"

Anyone else have tense encounters with hotel staff/ housekeeping?

What I am not clear on is, did you ask for those items 3 different times ? If not, what was her reasoning for saying that ?

But to answer your question, no, I have only encountered terrific housekeeping people. Every year we go away for a week and on certain days we do not want our room disturbed, so we put out the "Do not disturb" sign, but we may ask for clean towels. They are always very accommodating.

I would have asked to see the hotel manager and lodged a formal complaint, assuming of course, that what you are saying is correct.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
We like to go to San Diego for vacation for a few days every year. My wife makes it a point to talk to the maid assigned to our room as soon as feasible and ask that person if they'll be cleaning our room for the rest of the stay. If that's confirmed, she'll hand them a tip on the spot.

The service we get for the rest of the stay is always unbelievable.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
She was cleaning the room right next door, with door open and I knocked on the door to ask for the item, and stood outside.
No cart available, if not surely would just take from it.
We did not need our room clean, considerate enough that it was not necessary, so her crazy rude behavior definitely made things escalate.
Was there an emergency that required towels and kleenexs? I don't understand why you went next door 3 times to ask for these items. Learn to be patient, interrupting someone's work every couple of minutes with the same request is rude. Since there wasn't a cart, she probably had to go to a supply/linen closet to get your items.

If it was something you needed right then, you should have called down to the front desk and request the items be brought to your room. Your inability to plan ahead of time is not the maid's fault.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:08 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Why wouldn't you call the front desk with your requests for items? That's what I do when I travel. I call the front desk or housekeeping that room 000 needs extra towels, toilet paper or what have you and they are brought up to the room. I never interrupt housekeeping when they are cleaning other rooms, nor do I take things from their cart.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:21 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I can't remember the last time I asked a hotel for anything but extra towels. For any of that, just call the front desk - they'll bring whatever you need.

The people who clean the rooms have a crap job and there's no reason to bother them. Three different requests? They're only supposed to take a few minutes to clean a room. What could you possibly have needed? I mean, with the Kleenex, just use the toilet paper or better yet, travel with your own.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I'll often ask for a couple packs of coffee from the housekeepers if I catch them in the hallway, try not to bug them if they're in the room.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I ALWAYS ask for extra coffee!

Old 07-27-2018, 03:10 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
my son is a houseperson at a chain hotel and the rules is you don't move anything that belongs to the guest. and that includes moving things off the bed to make it.
It is one of those rules that makes it less likely a guest is going to accuse the employee with theft.

Also how many of you tip the housekeeping staff, they are very lowly paid so tips are really appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel