Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get out of town (but stay within the US) for 7 days, starting on Aug. 8th. The summer heat has me feeling the need for a change of scenery. Cost is somewhat of a factor but I can drive or fly and rent a car.

Anyone have any ideas of where to go and what there is to do there, I'm a late 50's female and will travel alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 12:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If escaping HEAT in August is your goal... AND you want to stay in USA... (Alaska !!!)

USA 'cool' can be crowded, so plan accordingly. (don't expect to find lodging in National Parks, but usually you can find a joint nearby) (Such as Red Lodge MT!!! gateway to the Beartooth Highway!) I really like NE Yellowstone, and very few people go there. I doing National Parks, go EARLY in the morning and again from 5PM - 10 pm, more animals, photo ops and less people / traffic.

CA, OR, WA or Maine coast, or HIGH mtns (Glacier / Yellowstone / No ID, Tip top of the Rockies)

I will be in the Rockies (WY) for the Meteor Showers (10 - 12 Aug)

Consider following a few 'Scenic Byways' in the nearby Mtn States (CO, WY, UT, ID, CA, MT ) but... fire danger / detour is a possibility.
Do you camp?

Late 50's single gal../. Yes, travel alone and be smart. You will be fine (if you are smart).

I sent a 40's gal and her (2) teen... age 16+ daughters off on a Round the USA via National Parks tour with one of my 'Guest home directories' and after the first stay... they LOVED It.. No more creepy hotels, just nice welcoming, informative hosts! (and <$20 / night worldwide). (I have never had to use 'couchsurfing' in my 30+ yrs of guest home travel)
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

If you can leave USA... Canada is pretty nice (Nova Scotia and BC are both quite good August destinations) We had SUCH a great time last year in Nova Scotia... I would grab a flight to Halifax and call it good! (but likely crowded... we went in Oct). Vancouver Island is also good for 7 days Aug travel. (as are the WA State San Juan Islands).

Southern Hemisphere can be cool in August! NZ, Australia, Chile, Argentina...

Old 07-30-2018, 02:38 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Coastal Maine is beautiful in summer, so too is Vancouver CN & the islands nearby.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Coastal Maine is beautiful in summer, so too is Vancouver CN & the islands nearby.
Yes, it sounds it, where would I fly into? I am from Canada and have lived on Vancouver Island so I know it and the Gulf Islands well.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:59 PM

Stealth Rabbit, you always have SO MANY ideas :-).

I would prefer not to be too far away from home as one of my dogs has some health issues and she will be staying at home with a dog sitter however I need to get away. I don't need to be that cool, just a bit cooler if possible.

I am Canadian so know it well, haven't been to NS since I was a child and it's on my list for sure.

If I want to drive from N. AZ, where would you suggest I go?

P.S. I love travelling alone and have done so many cross country drives I can't even remember how many - Toronto to AZ 3 times, Vancouver Island to AZ 6 times etc.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM

Where are you? (that will control your flight options / destination to Maine.)

We usually use Manchester, NH via SWA, but I would use UA for Halifax if NS was the goal.

You can use Portland, ME or Logan (BOSTON) for Maine as well.

Maine coast is great, but a VERY long drive!!! in and out... Lobster Co-ops are very fun / interesting places to get fresh seafood and cook your own in the tub / vat out front.

I like the NH 'Gaps' (usually in Sept / Oct)

Sorry/... overlap post...U post while I post...
For DRIVING from NoAZ... I would do Colorado / near Maroon Bells / Aspen / Independence Pass / Glenwood / Black Canyon of the Gunnison

or

Northern NM Angelfire and Mora Valley (Chama...)

Southern CO (teluride / alamosa)

Or... Tetons (WY)
Bear Lake (UT)

I am kinda fond of Hot Springs in Mtns, so you will usually find me soaking there!

My 'final resting place' will be at WY 'Pioneer Home' (on the site of Thermopolis, Hot Springs State Park) . kinda HOT in August!

I would plan on doing a lot of NIGHT driving between destinations (I do that in Summer)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-30-2018 at 08:15 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 09:47 PM

Thanks, yes it makes more sense to stay down in my area this time, since it's last minute. I am not a fan of driving at night, especially alone, that's when all the animals are out crossing the road etc..

Old 08-01-2018, 08:15 PM

Stealth, I have decided on NM, will go to Santa Fe first as there is a medical practitioner I am going to see there. Please tell me more about "Northern NM Angelfire and Mora Valley (Chama...)".

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 PM

well... I find Northern NM VERY pretty, historical, quiet (low crowds compared to Colorado), and friendly.

I stopped into Home | Mora Valley Spinning Mill and enjoyed a few hours of (tour and helping) & learning about their Fiber Co-op and local / regional / industry sector challenges.

spendy, but way neat / historic (Very well preserved equipment / town)
https://cumbrestoltec.com/

I liked the quirky (hippie) road from Santa Fe to ABQ (Highway 14)
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html
https://matadornetwork.com/trips/tra...ns-new-mexico/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ew_Mexico.html

If you have some time on the west side..
I really enjoyed CatWalk State Park and nearby Ghost town (as well as Silver City)
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/n...creation-trail
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ew_Mexico.html

if you run out of ideas...
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/nm/all

Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,945 times
To the west of ABQ is Acoma Pueblo/Sky City, which I thought was wonderful.

Sky City Cultural Center & Haak'u Museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel