Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Some may even welcome it!
I always book the cheapest tickets in the hopes that we don't sit next to each other.

Unfortunately its never worked in my favor, we've never been seperated on a flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 01:03 PM

255 posts, read 183,699 times
I ask people to switch seats with me all the darn time. I've only been told no once. I don't care what the other passengers think. I prefer to sit with my husband as we have a toddler. The stupid airlines should automatically seat us together.

You have a right to sit together and most times other people dont mind.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:06 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times
It needs to be a reasonable exchange, same for same, don't ask me to switch my aisle for a middle seat as one very nice couple asked me to do at the beginning of a 14 hour flight to Japan. When I said "Sorry, no" I could see in their facial reactions they never expected that answer, they just assumed...

I booked that seat for a reason months before that flight, if you book at the last minute & get less than ideal seats don't expect others to adjust downward for you. They were finally able to sit together by giving up their aisle seat to someone.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:10 PM

255 posts, read 183,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its not presumptuous to ask. IMO, though, its not rude for seat holders to decline. I would always move so that a parent could sit next to a child. I don't find a husband sitting next to his wife as nearly as compelling. They can tolerate a few hours of separation.
That's where you're wrong . I only ask to prefer to sit with my husband so we can be with our child. Child. How's that hard for you to understand?

Old 08-01-2018, 01:40 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
That's where you're wrong . I only ask to prefer to sit with my husband so we can be with our child. Child. How's that hard for you to understand?
Apparently markg's post was hard for you to understand.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
don't ask me to switch my aisle for a middle seat as one very nice couple asked me to do at the beginning of a 14 hour flight to Japan. When I said "Sorry, no" I could see in their facial reactions they never expected that answer, they just assumed...
For a 14 hour flight that wouldn't only be a "no", but a "hell no!". A middle seat on a trans-ocean flight is torturous.
Seat change for an equivalent change is not a problem But, no people, don't even ask if that's the trade you expect - middle for aisle.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:40 PM

257 posts, read 177,481 times
Ask away, the worst they can say is no. There will probably be at least one nice person who will see that it won't affect their comfort, so why not?

Old 08-01-2018, 03:32 PM

3,066 posts, read 1,678,680 times
I just remembered one time when - we thought - everyone had boarded, and in came 3, an older man and a young couple (they were family). The older man told the flight attendant that they "were told they could sit together", which I didn't believe one damn bit. But the attendant tried to be accommodating, and she asked two guys sitting in a row with one empty seat if they would move. Both did but the one in the aisle seat got visibly disgruntled, and I didn't blame him. Me, I won't give my aisle seat to anyone, although I will trade to a different aisle seat.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:01 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
Entitled much
I'm sure if you look hard enough, don't be cheap and spend the money, you can all sit together and live happily ever after. But it's not your RIGHT to sit together. If you actually think you would crumble due to a few hours of seperation, you're in bad shape.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:16 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times
Funny story...once I was on a return flight from Spain and the young lady sitting next to me kept interacting with a young man in another seat and it was clear they were together. (Actually, they were kind of annoying with all the back and forth.) I asked her why she didn’t just ask me to exchange seats so that they could be together for the flight, but she said, “We’re going to be together for a long time in the US, so, no thanks”. LOL. We had a great time talking about their extreme adventure getaway to the western US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel