Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times

Advertisements

I have experience in the City during the '50s, '60s, '70s and then a long gap to sometime around 2011 (the Twin Towers were still standing, but not since then. We are staying in Brooklyn (Williamsburg), but I haven't been there since my ship was at the Navy Yard in the '60s. So, I plan to see what's new there.

But since my last trip to NYC was in 2011, I wonder what new is worth seeing. I've walked the City (mainly Manhattan) before, many times, from Harlem to the Battery and between the East and Hudson's River, on many different avenues and streets. I am also quite familiar with most of the Manhattan "neighborhoods".

What's new, other than the replacement of the Twin Towers? I saw many of the changes in the decades I did visit, from great to bad to great again. I remember, for example, when the lower East Side was "off-limits, and saw it come back as pretty fashionable...things like that. But I am guessing that a lot has changed, even since 2011.

Can you help me. I'll be there for 7 days and then will go up to Piermont and maybe around Hudson for a few days, where I have relatives.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
What are your interests?

You can't have seen everything in the city, so give a bit more information about what you'd like...

do you mean new buildings, new museums, new Broadway shows?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 AM

746 posts, read 837,611 times
I spent 5 months working in NYC last year and would just avoid it like the plague. It blows my mind that anyone would actually visit that place on their own dime.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,544,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I have experience in the City during the '50s, '60s, '70s and then a long gap to sometime around 2011 (the Twin Towers were still standing, but not since then.
Did you mean 2001?

Old 08-02-2018, 12:07 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I spent 5 months working in NYC last year and would just avoid it like the plague. It blows my mind that anyone would actually visit that place on their own dime.
LOL! I LOVE NYC and go once or twice a year to catch Broadway shows. Different strokes, I guess.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,466 times
Definitely check out High Line park in Manhattan. It is an old elevates railroad track that was converted to a park. It has great views from above the city streets and of the Hudson River.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:44 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Williamsburg has gone under such a radical transformation since your last visit - it is just like a nabe in Manhattan now but with more interesting, & a bit cheaper, venues... honestly I would do a bit of research & spend several days there & in neighboring - Greenpoint - downtown Brooklyn - Cobble Hill - DUMBO etc... Manhattan is largely corporate except for EV, LES. Highline & W Chelsea art galleries are nice, very crowded on weekends.

Easy now to take a ferry from Williamsburg & cruise along the East River.

I recommend instead of going to Chinatown go to the real one in Flushing, last stop on 7 train Queens, truly amazing, need to research where to eat, near Flushing Meadow Park too. On Saturdays there are "Smorgasbords" in Wmsburg & Queens & a ethnic foodie night market in Flushing Meadow Park.

Last edited by Hefe; 08-02-2018 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Maybe if you had been there on a pleasure trip it would have been different.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:01 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I have experience in the City during the '50s, '60s, '70s and then a long gap to sometime around 2011 (the Twin Towers were still standing, but not since then. We are staying in Brooklyn (Williamsburg), but I haven't been there since my ship was at the Navy Yard in the '60s. So, I plan to see what's new there.

But since my last trip to NYC was in 2011, I wonder what new is worth seeing. I've walked the City (mainly Manhattan) before, many times, from Harlem to the Battery and between the East and Hudson's River, on many different avenues and streets. I am also quite familiar with most of the Manhattan "neighborhoods".

What's new, other than the replacement of the Twin Towers? I saw many of the changes in the decades I did visit, from great to bad to great again. I remember, for example, when the lower East Side was "off-limits, and saw it come back as pretty fashionable...things like that. But I am guessing that a lot has changed, even since 2011.

Can you help me. I'll be there for 7 days and then will go up to Piermont and maybe around Hudson for a few days, where I have relatives.

Thanks.
Obviously, you meant 2001, and huge changes have occurred since then. Besides the WTC complex and Memorial/Museum, downtown Manhattan went from a primarily-commercial neighborhood that banged up at night to one of the most desirable residential locations in Manhattan. Other traditional neighborhoods in Manhattan have changed drastically or are disappearing as well. Hudson Yards is turning the west side into a city within a city. Harlem is becoming a place for the wealthy.

Hudson River Park system is still creeping up from the Battery ever northward. The Highline opened in 2009, an elevated greenway/park built on an old elevated train route.

Very tall buildings have been erected, and not just in lower Manhattan.

What is it you are interested in seeing? What did you like seeing before?

Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
In addition to what everyone else said, Brooklyn has turned from a slum into a boomtown in the last 30 years. It's not just Williamsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel