Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:18 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times

Advertisements

Not a frequent flier here, just take occasional trips up or down the West Coast, primarily via Alaska and Southwest.
Once in a while Jet Blue or Delta. All are okay, but I'd like to see Alaska and Southwest each borrow a page
from the other's playbook:
Alaska: don't shake down your customers with change fees! (and this also goes for every other airline that isn't SWA)
Southwest: give preassigned seats!

I know... neither of these is likely to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 05:57 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Southwest.

Hands down best airline in the country.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Not a frequent flier here, just take occasional trips up or down the West Coast, p...
Southwest: give preassigned seats!

I know... neither of these is likely to happen.
YIKES... I HOPE SWA NEVER has assigned seats!!! then I would not be free to MOVE! when ''Bertha" or 'pet-smart-axx" (flea bitten pet with an awe-struck owner) sits next to me.

Frequent flier (6) SWA flights so far this week, but since they don't go to Asia (yet) I MUST also fly others carriers (a lot). That is Too bad... "assigned seats" and all the grief that goes with it.

Get on and GO! is my preference... find a seat, any seat QUICKLY!

Many changed flights in the last month would = a BIG financial hit if I had to pay for those changes!

I have gotten as many as (10) SWA flights for the price of changing (1) ticket on a 'legacy' carrier.

Transfarency.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:42 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I have already flown for the last time. I don't need the irritation.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:57 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,716 times
I'm fine with Delta, Alaska, JetBlue, and American, all of which I've flown relatively recently.

Have never flown Southwest.

Will not fly with United or any of the budget types like Frontier or Spirit or Allegiant. Have had awful experiences with United recently and with the few budget options I've tried. Never again unless I'm desperate.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:59 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
"pet-smart-axx" (flea bitten pet with an awe-struck owner) sits next to me.

I have allergies and a doctor's note. Hopefully won't encounter this problem, but am thinking this will work.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:47 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I flew 30,000 on United in Q1 before my travel pattern changed. I’ve done 50,000 miles with them a few times but not recently. I’ve been A List Plus level with Southwest. I’ve flown them quite a bit over the last couple of years. I’ve flown JetBlue some over the last 2 years. American on US Airways routes a few times. I was Chairman’s Preferred level with US Airways maybe 20 years ago.

My take:
The city pair, the equipment, your fare, and when you book it matters more than the airline.

I find Southwest equipment to be really run down. Filthy. Threadbare. I like flying them on short notice flights because you can throw a few bucks at them and get a decent seat with early boarding. The no change fee is also useful on business trips.

United is fine if you have FT status to board early and sit in Economy Plus. I recently encountered 30” seat pitch seats. WTF!! I’m 6’2”. I don’t fit in the seat. It made Economy Plus essential. I can sort of jam myself into an aisle seat in the back and spill out into the aisle. A middle seat is out of the question. I won’t get on the plane.

I like JetBlue. Wider seats on Airbus narrow bodies. Good seat pitch. Comfortable leather seat. Everything else being equal, I’ll fly them.

All my long haul flights recently have been on international carriers. They’re way better than domestic where it’s a race to the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel