Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:48 PM

50 posts, read 29,222 times

Advertisements

Lord Howe Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying my life View Post
We have booked a 2-week cruise which departs and returns Sydney. Ports of call will all be in NZ. Much as we want to explore NZ, we have decided to take excursions from the ship and visit for an extended trip at another time.

That leaves us with Australia. Oh my gosh!!! We can easily add 2-3 weeks to our vaca, time is not a limitation but of course budget will come into play at some point.

We enjoy the outdoors and from what we have been able to determine, it is primarily eastern Australia which we would like to explore. Our thoughts are to begin in Cairns and move south to Sydney.

Any thoughts, guidance, tips about where to visit, what to do, where to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Cairns is Great Barrier Reef country and I would make sure I did a side trip there. If snorkeling is a possibility for you than consider doing that. One great island to visit is Green Island.

The harbor in Sydney is truly a scenic place. Make sure you do a harbor cruise and lunch at one of the restaurants there at the harbor. Doyle's is one famous restaurant. Walk around and soak in all the history. Sydney Harbor is literally where the English settlement of Australia began. There should be signs all around. I would definitely tour the fabulous opera house as well if I could.

I don't know whether you are going south to Melbourne. If you are, make sure you do the optional excursion to the Ferry Penguin Island. Its amazing to see all the penguins return from the ocean at night to their nesting grounds.

You didn't mention Tasmania either. I won't comment on that unless you tell me the cruise goes there.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:05 PM

311 posts, read 450,214 times
While in Cairns go to the reef or go about an hour north to Port Douglas which is very much like Key West and has great access to the reef. The drive to Port Dougie is EXTREMELY scenic. Halfway between Port and Cairns, stop in Hartley's Creek Crocodile Farm. In Cairns take the train up the mountain to Kuranda and take the Sky-Way back down. Flecker Botanical Gardens!

Brisbane is much like Orlando in both climate and its proximity to attractions.

In Sydney we stayed right on Sydney Harbor right down the street from the Opera House and it was CHEAP! (relatively) Out our balcony you could see the Harbor Bridge and the ferries taking Sidney-Siders all over the harbor for work. Across the way (a few hundred yards) is the Rocks, original stone buildings that the original convicts built but now are nice shops and restaurants.

Its not in the east but a side trip to Uluru (Ayers Rock) is unforgettable. A note about the Rock, there has never been any commercial photos of the back side of it because it is sacred. You would be the only person you know who has seen it.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:28 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
In Sydney we took one of these tall ship tours: Excellent scenic fun:
https://us.sydney.com/things-to-do/t...our-tall-ships

I Cairns we took this Great Barrier Reef tour, another great fun scenic tour:
https://quicksilver-cruises.com/

Taronga Zoo is fun and educational. You can hold a Koala if you want:
https://taronga.org.au/taronga-zoo/w...oala-encounter

Walking around Circular Quay is a must. So much to see and do.
In Sydney the Rocks area is a must.
Restaurants have great food and service.
We did shopping tours, Blue Mountain tours, City of Sydney tour, SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium, Opera tour, and other stuff. So much fun, so many friendly people.
You can't have a bad time in Australia.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:51 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,339 times
"Taronga Zoo is fun and educational. You can hold a Koala if you want:
https://taronga.org.au/taronga-zoo/w...oala-encounter. ..........."

Taronga Zoo is great, but holding/touching a koala is forbidden and against the law. This is strictly enforced in Queensland, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. Photos are allowed but you will only be within a foot to a foot and a half of them. Still, it's a must do.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:25 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
"Taronga Zoo is fun and educational. You can hold a Koala if you want:
https://taronga.org.au/taronga-zoo/w...oala-encounter. ..........."

Taronga Zoo is great, but holding/touching a koala is forbidden and against the law. This is strictly enforced in Queensland, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. Photos are allowed but you will only be within a foot to a foot and a half of them. Still, it's a must do.
Koalas are grumpy animals as I understand it, and decidedly not friendly. Plus they have claws and might bite. Short answer: you won’t catch me holding a koala, that’s for sure.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:14 AM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Things may have changed since we were at the zoo but my wife & I both have photos holding Koalas at the Taronga Zoo. They were very docile, maybe sedated, who knows but everyone in our group got a photo holding a Koala.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:53 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,339 times
The law was changed not long ago due to loss of vegetation, health problems and are becoming endangered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel