Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 03:08 PM

297 posts, read 166,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Is this in a particular part of the world, or type of accommodation? In my experience, leaving a note has always been sufficient.
Good ole' US of A! In higher end hotels, 200+ a night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 03:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Or knock and ask

[quote=MaryleeII;52744696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I always told the front desk that i'd be sleeping during the day, and that the DND sign would be out.. Please respect it.[/[/b]quote]

This doesn't help much. when we've hung the DND sign, they call us from another room to ask if we want housekeeping
Yes, that has been my experience too. They will call and ask or even KNOCK on the door and ask if I want service. I believe the reason the housekeeper does it is because they are hourly employees. If they have fewer rooms to clean than usual then they'll finish work earlier which means less hours of work than they normally have for that day. By payroll time, it equals a smaller paycheck.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:04 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
I leave a tip at the end of the visit. Usually because I have bad luck and always managed to flood the toilet on my last day. So on check out I say "So sorry my toilet flooded" and hand her a $20. Other than that - I treat my room like my apartment so there's really no mess for them to clean on the regular basis.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:50 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I agree that they shouldn't take anything from the room that doesn't belong to them, but knowing that it happens, I don't leave out anything like cash or jewelry. If you want to leave a few bucks for your daughter, tell her that you'll leave it in the front pocket of her suitcase (or in her backpack, or whatever).
That was purely hypothetical because I actually don't keep anything out and lock my suitcase when I leave the room and I also keep the DND hanger on. My point was (especially to the person that said they leave it on the pillow every morning and did not mention a note) that the maids SHOULD NOT take anything in a room that is not theirs or the hotels. They have no idea IF that money was intended for them or IF the person left it there for another reason. To me that is theft!

Old 08-09-2018, 07:57 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,207 times
Not usually. If we REALLY loved a hotel stay and stayed for several days, we might leave like a five. But nothing crazy. They do get paid an hourly wage to do their job, so it's not necessary. We also leave our room practically the way it was when we arrived. We bag up our trash for them to easily haul out. Put all the dirty towels in one pile. Leave the bed a mess so that HOPEFULLY they freaking take it and wash them. But other than that, we make their job easy.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:25 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
That was purely hypothetical because I actually don't keep anything out and lock my suitcase when I leave the room and I also keep the DND hanger on. My point was (especially to the person that said they leave it on the pillow every morning and did not mention a note) that the maids SHOULD NOT take anything in a room that is not theirs or the hotels. They have no idea IF that money was intended for them or IF the person left it there for another reason. To me that is theft!

You did see that I agreed with your point, right?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 PM

87 posts, read 101,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
So after your stay you strip your beds, take bedding and towels to the laundry and take care of them, give the bathroom a deep clean. Good for you!
You think they do all that? News stations and other travelers secrectly recorded the housekeepers and brought in dark lights to see bodily fluids still on sheets. Sometimes they just tuck the blanket in or fluff the pillow.
For the low wage I couldent Blane them and I don’t believe in tipping just for doing your job
I cashed a check the other day and the cashier had a tip jar out.
Enough is enough!

Old 08-09-2018, 09:28 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would tip more often if there would be an envelope in which to leave the tip. If you are staying several days and want to tip each day, you want it to be obvious that the money you leave is a tip. And leaving cash at the end of a week visit is confusing because it is not clear that the tip would be shared out to whoever attended to the room, assuming it might be different people. So envelopes, please.

Every hotel I have stayed at, the housekeeper will remove the money you leave as she cleans, and leave the empty envelope there for the next day.

When we stay for more than a few days, I sometimes leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door on certain days, but then take it off when we need the room freshened up. At that time I leave a tip in the envelope, and also the day we leave.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I don't leave tip. But I strip bed from sheets and blankets and put on floor in a neat pile. I do the same with towels. I toss all garbage and tigh up garbage bags.
I basically prepare room to be cleaned for next guest.
This will cut their cleaning time in half.

Lol..i used to be a hotel made in hs on weekends. First job.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:10 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
So if I forget and leave some cash on the dresser by my suitcase they can take it thinking it is a tip? How the heck do they even know if it is for them? What if I wanted to leave my daughter a few bucks in the room so she can get a bite to eat when she is done at the pool (and I am at the spa). They shouldn't take anything from the room that doesn't belong to them or the hotel!
Hotel stationary or an envelope with a "thank you, housekeeping."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel