Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 06:07 AM

994 posts, read 962,669 times

Advertisements

What kind of budget did you have when you did a cross country trip or temporary move from state to state?

I am planning on going to the Phoenix area for a month or so , then moving onto somewhere else etc . I am an UBER and LYFT driver so I can always have cash flow , especially in big cities . I will have around $8k put back for this. Considering I will mainly be staying with a roommate for periods of 1 month or longer , and with the cash flow from ridesharing , I think I can budget it wisely .

If you have done this sort of thing , how did it turn out? What did you learn from it? What kind of great experiences did you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM

19,416 posts, read 27,747,416 times
We've done a cross-country 3x. Once ST Phoenix to Cape Coral, FL. Once one way Phoenix to Raleigh, NC. Decades earlier, I did Philly to Phoenix alone (no pets, no passenger.)

We were traveling with our dog all 3 times, so that was our priority. Stayed at LaQuinta 80% of the time, with a few other hotels located in/near areas we specifically wanted to visit along the way.

Those areas included Albuquerque, Memphis, Nashville, Asheville, Houston, White Sands, Meteor Crater, a few places in North Florida, Savannah.

We drove between 6-8 hours a day. Hotels ranged $90-$140/night depending on location (Savannah was more, I think). Meal cost is what you choose. Having a fridge in the room was helpful to keep costs down. (Another bonus at La Quinta's).

We also drove round trip Phoenix to South of Guadajara, Mexico twice. With dog. But that's s whole 'nother ball of wax!

PS. I assume you'll have your car packed with stuff. Take out anything truly valuable, sentimental or irreplaceable when you stop at night. And this issue also makes it dumb to stop at cheap fleabag hotels.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 AM

994 posts, read 962,669 times
I will have everything i own with me . The only really valuable things will be my TV and my Computer .

Old 08-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,666 posts, read 57,869,808 times
If you are a prudent commercial driver, you probably have a 50+ MPG car that runs on free fuel (Diesel alternatives... there are many), Jet-A and home heating oil are some of the easiest replacements). My cars go 1250 mile per free fill up. (between donut shops jet repair facilities where friends work)

You can stay in areas you want to check out. I prefer to rent a guest house / Mother-In-law apartment / Apartment in shop or garage for a month or so ~ $300. month. Especially available with seniors. (Empty nest)
Also House / pet / plant sitting options (My SIL has been doing that for 38 yrs in HI)
A C-D friend got a very nice house sitting place near Portland OR for all winter last yr (common)

I have a 'portable camping' stove / storage, water heater, outdoor shower, ref.... but I usually stay in Hospitality guest homes while on the road ($free to $20 / night world wide) https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

I have a 'stealth' campervan / mini RV for some roadtrips (But I do not use it as an Uber vehicle)

Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 AM

19,416 posts, read 27,747,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I will have everything i own with me . The only really valuable things will be my TV and my Computer .
Is the computer a laptop? If so, take it in the hotel room with you.

If not, you'd be best to put it in the trunk with your TV and hope for the best. Do a backup of the hard drive BEFORE you leave regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel