Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:58 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times

Advertisements

Pick 'em and name 'em folks...

One that comes to mind for me is that haggling over a price isn't supposed to be a confrontation where one gets emotionally attached to winning/losing and takes personal offense at an inability to agree on a price. I've seen so many tourists get upset and put on big shows of acting insulted or victimized, that isn't how it's supposed to work. It's just business and if you can't get whatever trinket you want for whatever price then it's just not your day to have it. Smile, thank them and bid farewell (English is fine), then walk away without feeling upset to try somewhere else or enjoy whatever other activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:00 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
In developing countries tourists, particularly Americans, tend to tip too much. These countries work on the backsheesh culture where a small tip is appropriate but, fellow tourist, be aware that means a small sum, coins, not a crisp American fiver that may be equivalent to the average weekly pay for there fellow countrymen.
The problem being that you upset the financial balance, you have some very smart people in these countries that find they can make more money being a baggage handler to western tourists than a doctor, teacher, scientist, or some other field that helps there country.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Not the kind of stuff you may have in mind, but here goes.

I wish tourists from other states would make sure they understand what the visited state’s laws are regarding private property boundaries. Namely, not all states require that the owner fence OR post No Trespassing signs. The onus to know might be entirely upon the visitor/would-be trespasser.

One couple stopped at our build site last year when we happened to be there. They said they had gone into an interesting structure (not ours) by the side of the road a couple miles away from our place. I knew exactly where they were talking about and told them they had trespassed. They admitted that when they opened the door, it “appeared to be some kind of mausolem.”

When I told them they had trespassed, they said there were no signs. I told them that in this state, signs and fences are NOT required to tell others what is private. I also warned them not to go poking down “roads” unless they knew for sure it was a public road. We know of many instances where tourists assumed that anything remotely resembling a road was open to anybody. Not so.

If you don’t know if public access is allowed, ALWAYS ASSUME IT IS NOT. While I do not know of any verifiable accounts of trespassers being shot or attacked, don’t risk it.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:27 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
This is obviously about the US. I rather love the right to free passage permitted by law in the UK, with fences and gates everywhere allowing walking paths to follow the best route, which is often a path that's been around for centuries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not the kind of stuff you may have in mind, but here goes.

I wish tourists from other states would make sure they understand what the visited state’s laws are regarding private property boundaries. Namely, not all states require that the owner fence OR post No Trespassing signs. The onus to know might be entirely upon the visitor/would-be trespasser.

One couple stopped at our build site last year when we happened to be there. They said they had gone into an interesting structure (not ours) by the side of the road a couple miles away from our place. I knew exactly where they were talking about and told them they had trespassed. They admitted that when they opened the door, it “appeared to be some kind of mausolem.”

When I told them they had trespassed, they said there were no signs. I told them that in this state, signs and fences are NOT required to tell others what is private. I also warned them not to go poking down “roads” unless they knew for sure it was a public road. We know of many instances where tourists assumed that anything remotely resembling a road was open to anybody. Not so.

If you don’t know if public access is allowed, ALWAYS ASSUME IT IS NOT. While I do not know of any verifiable accounts of trespassers being shot or attacked, don’t risk it.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:54 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times
Beware of overly friendly locals. That may be a scam.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:08 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
The "Leave No Trace" principle. I also wish they'd learn that you don't have to have your picture taken with a chintzy cardboard sign to prove you summitted a 14er, and not everyone you encounter on the trail wants to hear the crappy EDM playlist you're blasting through the Bluetooth speakers in your backpack.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
-Bad behavior when you’re a tourist can reflect poorly not just on you but your country as well to locals and fellow travelers. You’re unofficially a representative of your country when you travel, and being a well behaved tourist is important. Perhaps it shouldn’t be that way, and I try hard not to think badly of a whole country’s worth of people when I experience such things, but it’s not easy, either — especially when having experienced several examples from the same country.

-Not everyone shares your adoration of and enthusiasm for your child or pet (sometimes disguised as a service animal in the latter case), sorry. Keep them away from me, thanks. And that goes double when you let them get away with acting out. Grow a spine and rein them in. It’s not cute and it’s not funny.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:16 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Everyone makes it on the airplane. Crowding around like gate lice is annoying for everyone. Queue up, and wait your turn.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:23 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Everyone makes it on the airplane. Crowding around like gate lice is annoying for everyone. Queue up, and wait your turn.
OMG! ! Please please make that a sign at the gate areas!! I absolutely dread the pushing and shoving involved when embarking or exiting. I doddle because it's the pilot that decides take off time...not the harried passenger.

I recall my friend showing me around Europe. He was native to the areas...he said. Please do not make eye contact..they consider it rude. I started mimicking a scene that jerry Lewis did with his Asian attire.. if I'm going to look down might as well have some fun with it!
My friend was fluent in five languages...he didn't know that I had some German lessons...so when he told a staff member that I was a deaf mute ..up came my head and I looked Him in the eyes ! So point being...learn the customs so your friend doesn't pass you off as a mute ..

Old 08-10-2018, 04:29 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Make sure your tour isn't impacting someone's privacy. Don't trespass, don't make a lot of noise, don't drive like you always have the right of way, and don't take that helicopter tour that flies over homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel