Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:43 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,830,820 times

Advertisements

Hello guys...

Just looking for your opinions and expertise.

In traveling from western NY to coastal SC next week and I've for 2 routes I can't decide which would be better and I'm hoping you may have helpful current info. (traffic, construction, speed traps, delays)

For comparison let's say I'm leaving Erie, PA and going to wytheville, va.

Route 1 takes I79 South through PA, to US 19 to I77. I've read a lot of bad things about US19 (worlds longest speed trap etc..) this is the shortest mileage and most direct route.

Or

Route 2, continue west on I90 to I271 before Cleveland to I77 South the whole way. This route is 40-50 miles farther but it's all interstate.

Which is the better route?

Are there any current major construction projects?

Is19 really as bad as it's made out to be?

Is one route much more curvy and hilly than the other? Kids get carsick...I know either way will be twisty and hilly, just looking for comparison. Either way I plan to give drammine though.

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 06:47 PM

3,604 posts, read 7,877,631 times
I don't see where you are getting onto US19. It's interstates only from Pittsburgh to Wheeling.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM

6,893 posts, read 22,464,061 times
I-77 is the WV Turnpike. My trucker Uncle hated having to drive it. You can see from the map how windy US19 is. I'd stick with Interstate roads. Here is the construction schedule for the WV Turnpike https://transportation.wv.gov/Turnpi...-Schedule.aspx

Old 08-20-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I don't see where you are getting onto US19. It's interstates only from Pittsburgh to Wheeling.
Because I'm not going to wheeling...

Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,928,463 times
Would you then take 77S to 26W? There is construction on 77 in North Carolina starting around Exit 36 depending on time of day you will hit traffic.

I've driven 77S catching it from 70E in Ohio and driving it all the down into NC. It's twisty at times but I had a good drive. There are tolls on 77S through WV. Make sure you have cash. Last time I went through they did not take CC cards.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:34 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,654,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Hello guys...

Route 1 takes I79 South through PA, to US 19 to I77. I've read a lot of bad things about US19 (worlds longest speed trap etc..) this is the shortest mileage and most direct route.

Is19 really as bad as it's made out to be?

Is one route much more curvy and hilly than the other? Kids get carsick...I know either way will be twisty and hilly, just looking for comparison. Either way I plan to give drammine though.

Thanks for the help

We do the US 19 from north of Beckley to I-79 and back at least once a year on our trips to Pittsburgh.
There is some construction on the road but nothing major. Yes you have to watch your speed and not have a lead foot but it is not bad. There are traffic lights but then there are also towns that means a variety of eating places. There is the scenic New river Gorge. And it really shaves distance. It is really only an hour to go across it from I-77 to I-79 and I don't mind it at all.

I recently did the I-90 to I77 from Buffalo to before Cleveland all the way down and not much to choose between that and the I-79 and US19. Actually I hate the I-79 going through Pittsburgh more than the US19.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:56 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,905,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Would you then take 77S to 26W? There is construction on 77 in North Carolina starting around Exit 36 depending on time of day you will hit traffic.

I've driven 77S catching it from 70E in Ohio and driving it all the down into NC. It's twisty at times but I had a good drive. There are tolls on 77S through WV. Make sure you have cash. Last time I went through they did not take CC cards.
E-Z Pass!

Old 08-21-2018, 04:02 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,928,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
E-Z Pass!
If you don't regularly travel on toll roads there's no reason for an EZ Pass. We don't have toll roads in NC.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:36 PM

16,398 posts, read 10,434,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
U.S. 19 is a four-lane divided highway, and it's pretty straight and flat, at least by West Virginia standards. The speed limit is 55 for most of its distance, and there are only a handful of traffic lights. In fact, it's actually an expressway through Oak Hill. I've used it before, and I would have no qualms about using it again.

If all else fails, you could try that route going down, and if you don't like it, use your other route on the return trip.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
U.S. 19 is a four-lane divided highway, and it's pretty straight and flat, at least by West Virginia standards. The speed limit is 55 for most of its distance, and there are only a handful of traffic lights. In fact, it's actually an expressway through Oak Hill. I've used it before, and I would have no qualms about using it again.

If all else fails, you could try that route going down, and if you don't like it, use your other route on the return trip.

Thanks for all the advice guys I appreciate it.

I'm going to give 19 a shot and see how it goes.. Thanks again much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel