Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM

3,344 posts, read 2,271,613 times

Advertisements

I know of retired folks as well as younger folks who want to escape the employer rat race for a while. I heard of workamping where people get jobs at different resorts and sometimes get paid or at least get their camping/lodging fees comped. This is often done with a motorhome, tent, fifth wheel, or livable van but sometimes people do get quarters i.e cabins, rooms, etc especially in NPS. I also heard of people who get seasonal or monthly jobs at different parts of the country though they will need to arrange their own accommodations. Though there are also those who get housesitting and pet sitting gigs in different parts of the country and world where there accommodation is included. There are of course those who use flexjobs website to find temporary jobs which may or may not be online jobs.

Which way is the best way? For someone who is inexperienced but don't want to make a big investment first before knowing if such lifestyle is good. To make things easier I would focus on South Dakota near black hills and Mount Rushmore but surrounding areas are fine as well including neighboring states i.e WY, CO, NE, etc. I know many nomads do make "home" in South Dakota due to their nomad friendly domicile policies and low taxes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 04:21 PM

149 posts, read 103,380 times
Read "Nomadland, Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century".

Old 09-13-2018, 05:56 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Which way is the best way?
The one that actually works FOR YOU.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,624 posts, read 57,628,813 times
Very tough to secure 'transient' employment of any $$ and stability.

1) Do a job that you are able to complete 'online'
2) Write a travel blog
3) Amazon fulfillment centers
4) Tourist related jobs during peak seasons
5) Hook up with some farms / nurseries / garden centers that need seasonal help
6) Secure 'other' income... (investments / trading eBay items, personal business...) We use investment props in our multiple locations (Deductible travel between sites, and FREE places at each site. Rent out the main home and stay in a cabin that is on the property)

For our WW travels... we have traded 'remodel / technical / service labor' for free room and board

We often stay and help on farms (for free)

Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 AM

15,243 posts, read 12,848,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The one that actually works FOR YOU.

Agreed. You'll have to try it to find out.

I know in advance I wouldn't want to do workamping or any endeavor which requires getting hired for the job. I can't stand having a boss. Which is why I have my own business that brings in a steady income.

Also, keep in mind that summer is high season for most of these places. If you choose a place like Lake Havasu, you could be working outside every day in 105 degree heat.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 AM

3,344 posts, read 2,271,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Very tough to secure 'transient' employment of any $$ and stability.

1) Do a job that you are able to complete 'online'
2) Write a travel blog
3) Amazon fulfillment centers
4) Tourist related jobs during peak seasons
5) Hook up with some farms / nurseries / garden centers that need seasonal help
6) Secure 'other' income... (investments / trading eBay items, personal business...) We use investment props in our multiple locations (Deductible travel between sites, and FREE places at each site. Rent out the main home and stay in a cabin that is on the property)

For our WW travels... we have traded 'remodel / technical / service labor' for free room and board

We often stay and help on farms (for free)
Though have you tried house or pet sitting, or Sugar Beet Harvest. Also if you have tried Flexjobs can you let me know of your experience?

The stability would not be the most of concern, since the job is temporary. I would be curious anyone have experience with South Dakota.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:56 AM

496 posts, read 408,968 times
This may be of some help. https://interstellarorchard.com/start-here/ . If you have time to start from the beginning of the blog it is an interesting and informative read. If you don't the" start here"section covers quite a bit.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:06 AM

496 posts, read 408,968 times
^^^^ I should have included in the above that she has worked for Amazon, done the sugar beet and NPS thing and discusses her experience in some detail.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:51 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,598,231 times
I used to have a friend who worked for one of the big lodge vendors by/in the national parks and she absolutely loved it. She said the employees got to do the tours for free on their days off if they were not booked and they also got lodging (although it was shared with a roommate). This friend was of the retired folk age bracket.

There are also some state parks/facilities (and possibly national parks) that might have a caretaker or someone who lives onsite as a short-term volunteer/employee for a few months at a time in a hotel/building that needs upkeep to make sure that everything stays in working order. I am not sure if those are paid, but the lodging is free.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:48 AM

43,359 posts, read 44,068,367 times
Check out this guy: Budget Travel Tips by Gabriel Morris Adventure TravelBudget Travel Tips by World Traveler Gabriel Morris | Author and World Traveler Gabriel Morris (Gabriel Traveler on Youtube) as he did for many years and now is able to live off his youtube travel videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel