U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:15 AM

15,109 posts, read 19,072,338 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/1512946002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:35 AM

9,845 posts, read 5,052,381 times
I would never expect an airline to rebook me on another airline, so this isn't really much of an issue for me.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 AM

5,991 posts, read 2,914,838 times
If American has the cheapest most direct/convenient flight to my destination, that's who I'm flying.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:43 AM

6,321 posts, read 6,992,048 times
According to the article, Southwest and United are already the same (i.e. Southwest doesn't book on other airlines at all and United will only do so in the most extreme cases). They also say that Delta has a similar policy though they do not outline what it is.

I think this is not really enough of a differentiator for me to not fly AA.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:10 AM

2,601 posts, read 5,307,985 times
I am not a frequent traveler, more like a regular one. In several decades I have been delayed many times and never rebooked on a different airline. The frequency of this must be low enough to be essentially irrelevant.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:24 PM

933 posts, read 480,956 times
It's never a issue with me as I'm usually in business, but I know this is all directed to its bottom line. Like most airlines they are trying to squeeze every penny, both visual and things not so obvious, to keep investors happy. Little cuts in perks or service have been seen for some time. Unfortunately it's going to get worse.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,133,353 times
Back in the 90s, I was one of the final passengers of Mark Air the day before that airline folded because my scheduled Northwest flight went mechanical and NWA figured that was the best way to get me back to Detroit.

I also ended up with a few Delta flights rebooked back onto Northwest in the 00s before the merger.

I tend to see this move as another way of turning American into a LCC

Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 PM

15,109 posts, read 19,072,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
According to the article, Southwest and United are already the same (i.e. Southwest doesn't book on other airlines at all and United will only do so in the most extreme cases). They also say that Delta has a similar policy though they do not outline what it is.

I think this is not really enough of a differentiator for me to not fly AA.

With the exception of SW, I don't think that is what the article says at all:

Quote:
Delta Air Lines has a similar pecking order for re-booking travelers, with agents instructed to look first at other Delta flights, followed by partner airlines and, when necessary, competitors' flights in cases where they have a re-accommodation agreement with another airline."The approach at Delta is pretty simple: Give our people the autonomy to do what’s right for the customer,'' Delta spokesman Morgan Durrant said in an e-mail.

Quote:
United Airlines has a similar re-booking policy, with the first goal to re-book passengers on the next available United or United Express flight, spokeswoman Maddie King said.
If the next United flight isn't until the following day, the airline books passengers on a partner airline.
If that's not an option, and the flight cancellation is the airline's fault, they turn to other airlines to avoid an overnight stay for the passenger, King said.

We're not really a FF, and certainly not any of an Elite status. But we HAVE had this problem and HAVE been booked on another airline. Once, it wasn't even Delta's fault - we missed the flight because of weather - and they booked us on another carrier. The other example was also Delta, but a problem with their aircraft. Ironically, IIRC, we were rebooked onto AA.

I will agree that if the AA flight is significantly cheaper or the schedule much better, I'm booking AA. But given a choice, I don't even want to support this kind of policy. But I'm the sort who regularly 'votes with my dollars' and avoids supporting certain policies with which I disagree.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times
UGH, sorry but I try to avoid AA at all costs! The only way I'm flying with them is if I can't find another flight that is going to my destination for a good price and flight times. I just feel that I get better service and prices elsewhere! Plus, my DH travels a lot for work and every time he flies American he's delayed. Literally EVERY TIME!

Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 PM

23,655 posts, read 33,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
If American has the cheapest most direct/convenient flight to my destination, that's who I'm flying.
Agreed. They are the only airline with direct flights from DCA (super easy to get to from my house) to Louisville (frequent destination since my mom lives there). Also helps they go direct to Jacksonville and Miami as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or