Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of going to a warm place during Thanksgiving. Mexico is budget-friendly, convenient and warm. But most destinations don't appear to be very safe according to the travel advisory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 08:31 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Yes, I take travel advisories seriously. The State Dept doesn't issue them for s***s and giggles.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I ignored the travel advisories when I was young, and paid the price - in Mexico. Got robbed on a train, the officials expected bribes which I didn't understand, got delayed a week trying to get a visa where they all wanted bribes - and only finally got a replacement visa when I lost it in the office crying hysterically and very loudly because we were running out of money - and then we were whisked out of the office and I was given a visa in a matter of minutes. That was in around 1975.

I moved to Mexico - to an area outside of Guadalajara (Ajijic) in 1999/2000, and personally met several people who had been mugged. Home invasions were common and never reported in the news. I moved back in less than one year.

I now have a Mexican friend who grew up in Mexico City who told me she was robbed at gunpoint on a train in the city, and she never wants to go back.

So, yeah, trust the advisories. I have learned my lesson. The reports that say not to worry are always written by people with a profit agenda of some sort.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I ignored the travel advisories when I was young, and paid the price - in Mexico. Got robbed on a train, the officials expected bribes which I didn't understand, got delayed a week trying to get a visa where they all wanted bribes - and only finally got a replacement visa when I lost it in the office crying hysterically and very loudly because we were running out of money - and then we were whisked out of the office and I was given a visa in a matter of minutes. That was in around 1975.

I moved to Mexico - to an area outside of Guadalajara (Ajijic) in 1999/2000, and personally met several people who had been mugged. Home invasions were common and never reported in the news. I moved back in less than one year.

I now have a Mexican friend who grew up in Mexico City who told me she was robbed at gunpoint on a train in the city, and she never wants to go back.

So, yeah, trust the advisories. I have learned my lesson. The reports that say not to worry are always written by people with a profit agenda of some sort.
According to travel advisory, Mexico City is relatively safe, level 2 - increase cautions.
Interestingly, Spain is also level 2 but I found it very safe during my visit.

It seems to me that places on the same level may actually vary a lot in safety or at least perceived safety.

I avoid level 3 and level 4 areas, but I find it difficult to assess how safe a level 2 area is.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
According to travel advisory, Mexico City is relatively safe, level 2 - increase cautions.
Interestingly, Spain is also level 2 but I found it very safe during my visit.

It seems to me that places on the same level may actually vary a lot in safety or at least perceived safety.

I avoid level 3 and level 4 areas, but I find it difficult to assess how safe a level 2 area is.
I now believe any advisories. If Mexico City is supposedly safe in your eyes, I have to vehemently disagree based on my definition of safety. So, level 2 would be out for me.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I now believe any advisories. If Mexico City is supposedly safe in your eyes, I have to vehemently disagree based on my definition of safety. So, level 2 would be out for me.
I have never been to Mexico, so I don't really know how safe it is. Mexico City doesn't have a very good reputation, I feel it's similar to Chicago based on trip reports online.

Germany, Italy Denmark, and the UK are all level 2 according to travel advisory.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:47 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
I have never been to Mexico, so I don't really know how safe it is. Mexico City doesn't have a very good reputation, I feel it's similar to Chicago based on trip reports online.
That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Chicago is nowhere near as dangerous as Mexico City. Further, Chicago's violent crime problem is concentrated on the south and west sides of the city. Tourists never go there.

Quote:
I'm thinking of going to a warm place during Thanksgiving. Mexico is budget-friendly, convenient and warm. But most destinations don't appear to be very safe according to the travel advisory.
You should absolutely trust and heed the travel advisories from the U.S. State Department and the U.K. Foreign and Commonwealth Office. They are very well informed.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:11 AM

502 posts, read 654,779 times
Level 2 classification that some European countries get is due to terrorist attacks and risk of terrorist attack in the future. Which is absolutely ridiculous, because those countries are very safe for a tourist, much safer than "safe" cities in the USA like NYC for example. Germany, Italy, Denmark, UK, Spain... c'mon...

I wonder what would be the classification of the USA (or some areas of the USA) by the State Department if they had to do it.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
I do my own research. The travel advisories are often political in nature. Do I look at them? Absolutely. But I also read the fine print. Example, eons ago I would spend weeks in Greece. There were advisories every single summer I was there. Fine print, stay away from demonstrations in Athens. Last time I was in Mexico we went to Cabo. There were advisories. We stayed at a resort and when visiting town (and we took the public bus to town) we didn't wander down streets that looked potentially creepy. Just like home.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
Level 2 classification that some European countries get is due to terrorist attacks and risk of terrorist attack in the future. Which is absolutely ridiculous, because those countries are very safe for a tourist, much safer than "safe" cities in the USA like NYC for example. Germany, Italy, Denmark, UK, Spain... c'mon...

I wonder what would be the classification of the USA (or some areas of the USA) by the State Department if they had to do it.
Based on my experience, I feel NYC is slightly safer than Milan but not as safe as Barcelona.

I think the State Department does a pretty impressive job evaluating the safety of Mexico region by region. I wish they could do the same for European countries too. For instance, Paris - Level 4 Do not travel! Barcelona - Level 2 exercise increased cautions. Segovia - Level 1 exercise normal cautions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel