U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:30 PM

9,182 posts, read 9,265,199 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who is a physician has a daughter suffering from an inflammatory disease is in France. We are planning on flying into Paris around November 1st. He asked if we could take the medication to his daughter.

I asked why she couldn't get the same or similar medication in France and he is adamant she cannot. I totally trust him. He's been my neighbor for over twenty years.

I am concerned about French customs and the regulations that may exist if we transport this medication to a foreign country. A written prescription from a doctor here in the states will be provided for the medicine.

I know this is an unusual situation and I would like to help him out. I don't want to have the medication confiscated by French customs. Nor, do I want any other trouble.

Has anyone tried to transport a medication for someone else into France or a foreign country? What was your experience?

There is a French consulate in Salt Lake City and I thought I would try to contact them for advice this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 05:42 PM

30,322 posts, read 27,780,270 times
If it’s pharmaceutical grade that requires a prescription then you might have an issue, unless you have “your” doctor write a prescription for that drug item in your name. If you can do that, then I don’t think there should be any problem.

Checking with the French consulate in Salt Lake is a good thought.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:48 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
I too think that if the prescription is not in the OP's name s/he might have a problem with the French customs.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:49 PM

2,655 posts, read 1,546,844 times
When I flew to France, with prescriptions, they never even looked at the bottle. You’ll be fine most likely. But I would recommend having it in your name if at all possible.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:11 PM

890 posts, read 459,492 times
Not available in France?, not yours, not in your name, not a family member. Too many possible issues here and something I would never do for anyone! While well intentioned, there may be a reason why it's not available in France and maybe its banned. At the basics it may be considered drug smuggling. Think about it, you we be the one answering to the officials and these guys dont have a sense of humor.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 10-15-2018 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 03:24 PM

39,355 posts, read 2,970,878 times
I would not do it. He can mail it to her. Too many risks for you.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:44 PM

8,565 posts, read 11,065,012 times
But officer, it's prescription crystal meth!

Old 10-16-2018, 09:10 AM

11,596 posts, read 3,967,095 times
Be very careful, a British woman was jailed for three years for taking a prescription tramadol tablet in to Egypt. They were apparently for her partners bad back, however she has just been denied a court appeal.

British woman jailed in Egypt for tramadol possession denied appeal - The Guardian

Tramadol - Wikipedia

I am not saying France is anywhere near as strict as Egypt, however it is definately worth checking out the law before taking any prescription drugs in to another country.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM

2,900 posts, read 1,582,286 times
Contact the consulate & see what is the problem getting that specific medicine in France, they have a reputation for having the best health system in the world & perhaps there is something about that particular brand name med you don't know about as far as why it's unavailable there. I assume your Dr friend would know if it is under a different name over there.

I too would be nervous taking nonpersonal prescription drugs across borders without knowing the issue or confirming that the US written script is OK for Euro import.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:07 AM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Find out exactly what the prescription is. Determine if it is considered a controlled substance in either the US or France, or any country you might be transiting. Determine if possession is legal in France and any country you might be transiting. If you decide to do this, ensure it is in the original container. If it isn't, that's a huge red flag. Consult with a pharmacist to ensure that the contents are really what the label says. You don't want to be an unwitting mule, because if you do something that's illegal in another country, ignorance of the law won't be a valid defense at trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or