U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 06:27 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,246,537 times

Advertisements

I get it that allergies are no joke, but it's not always the airline's responsibility to cater to every request. Plus they were comped, what more do they want.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...200312661.html

Quote:
A woman is accusing Delta Air Lines of endangering the life of her cat-allergic husband and joking about it.

Jackie and Lewis Reckline and their daughter were recently sitting in first class on a Delta flight from Georgia to their home state of Oklahoma when a woman boarded the plane with two cats, according to Atlanta local news station WSB-TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:47 PM

9,840 posts, read 5,044,678 times
First of all, I'm not buying that the cat carriers were put in a storage closet. Not after the dog died from being put in the overhead bin.

Secondly, they should have notified the airline in advance and then spoken with the gate agent before boarding. A pet free flight can't be guaranteed. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it works.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,094,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
First of all, I'm not buying that the cat carriers were put in a storage closet. Not after the dog died from being put in the overhead bin.

Secondly, they should have notified the airline in advance and then spoken with the gate agent before boarding. A pet free flight can't be guaranteed. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it works.

I miss the era of...6 years ago...when US domestic flying hadn't yet turned every cabin in Petco Class.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 13,568,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I miss the era of...6 years ago...when US domestic flying hadn't yet turned every cabin in Petco Class.
There were pets 6 years ago, decades ago, as long as I have been flying. They have always been the standard they must be caged and must fit under the seat, and nothing unusual like mice or something, just dogs and cats.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There were pets 6 years ago, decades ago, as long as I have been flying. They have always been the standard they must be caged and must fit under the seat, and nothing unusual like mice or something, just dogs and cats.
Exactly. Pets in the cabin is nothing new.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 AM

15,096 posts, read 19,059,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Don't blame the airlines. Blame the burgeoning numbers of 'emotional support animals' since 1986 and 1988 when laws were passed specifically outlining the protections allowed for ESA animals. Blame the people who have totally abused these laws to get their pet 'qualified ' as an ESA. Perhaps the worst case of special snowflakes. Totally an insult to the true working service animals.

I'm not buying the entire story. Those carriers had to fit under the seat before that human go past the gate agent. No way were they put in a closet.

Did the flight attendants welcome the kitties over the PA system? Probably. Was that the smart thing to do? Probably not. Did the pasenger's allergic reaction get really bad after the announcement? hmmm.

My SIL has terrible allergies to cats. When we had cats, she couldn't stay in our home. She carried antihistamine when ever she sets foot on a plane.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:09 AM

11,732 posts, read 4,013,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I get it that allergies are no joke, but it's not always the airline's responsibility to cater to every request. Plus they were comped, what more do they want.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...200312661.html
I don't understand why a cat wasn't in the aircraft hold.

The only animals permitted on commercial scheduled aircraft in Europe are assistance animals in most countries and this doesn't include emotional support animals or any other such nonsense.

Travelling with pets | Information | British Airways

Another big reason that other countries don't tend to have as much of an issue, is because they have less domestic flights and more international flights and you have to get a pet passport, veterinary checks, inoculations and the animal must be microchipped. So it's quite costly and tme consuming. Some Charter flights do allow animals under 6kg however Charter flights are usually booked by holiday companies and third parties.

Pet Travel Scheme - GOV UK

In the US it seems to be much easier to justify having an animal in the passenger area, which is fine if you want to fly in something akin to a zoo or arc.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-25-2018 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-25-2018, 09:11 AM

I agree that fake ESAs are a big problem. And I wish there were a way to certify legitimate service and support animals. But pets were allowed on planes long before ADA required access for service/support animals. It's not a new issue, and anyone flying should know that there's always a possiblity of an animal being on their flight, or even on a prior flight. If they are that sensitive, they should always have an allergy mask, antihistimines, and perhaps an epi pen on hand.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,666,493 times
Seems like an over-reaction to me. I've carried cats on flights since the 1970s. In all those years, there have been 2 times when the person sitting next to me said they had a problem with it. Both times I offered to move, and it was easy to find another passenger who would switch seats with me. The flight attendants just made a quick announcement and we worked it all out.

I can understand a passenger not wanting the cat right next to him, but in all those years I've never encountered someone who had such extreme allergies that they couldn't bear to have a cat anywhere on the plane--and if that's really the man's situation then they should carry antihistamines or at ask if there are animals on the plane at the time of buying the ticket. And if his reaction is that severe, what does he do about people who board a plane after saying goodbye to their cat (and thus getting cat dander on their shirt)?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't understand why a cat wasn't in the aircraft hold.
If you've ever seen how baggage handlers operate in the US, you would probably think twice about letting them handle your pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel