Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Yep, can you imagine how much driving back and forth it would take just to cover 159 counties in Georgia?

You'd have to zig-zag back and forth covering 150-200 miles across at a time, probably on a lot of roads that aren't big highways, well over a dozen times from top to bottom. It would be a hell of a lot of driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I've never been to New York City. Have always wanted to go. Have come close to booking the trip a few times. Have had airport layovers there. Never been in the city itself.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:09 AM

75 posts, read 62,689 times
I would like to see the Northern Lights, visit the Viking ruins on Newfoundland, take the ferry from Seattle to Alaska, go smelting in Oregon, see the ruins at Navajo National Monument (which are supposed to be more impressive than Mesa Verde National Park), eat some southern tamales in Louisiana, have my picture taken under the whale bones at Barrow, AK, and drive the perimeter of the continental U.S. just because.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:59 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
I retired last year and am visiiting major national parks and mountain resort towns, especially old mining towns. Since I live in the SW, I'm focusing on the ones in this area. Next spring is Zion, Canyonlands, and Arches. Then a few more towns in Colorado once it warms up a little. I also visit some of the smaller national monuments if I'm in the area. I'll be relocating to the NW in the next couple of years and want to do the same there including Alaska.

Another goal is to visit some European countries before I get too old to travel. Fortunately, I got to see a lot of the eastern US while traveling as part of my job but would like to see more (Michigan UP, Minnesota, Appalachian Trail, Old Smokies, etc.) but may not get to it.

Alton Brown had a Good Eats episode on southern tamales and being a huge fan of New Mexican food including tamales, I want to try these. I grew up in Louisiana and visited relatives there for years but never heard of the tamales.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:37 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Alton Brown had a Good Eats episode on southern tamales and being a huge fan of New Mexican food including tamales, I want to try these. I grew up in Louisiana and visited relatives there for years but never heard of the tamales.
I remember that! Southern Foodways Alliance also has a Hot Tamale Trail oral history and map.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:55 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I've never been to New York City. Have always wanted to go. Have come close to booking the trip a few times. Have had airport layovers there. Never been in the city itself.

Schedule the dates! Everyone should go at least once!!

...see the landmarks, the shows, the restaurants, experience the positive vibrations of the city...

I have always thoroughly enjoyed my visits there. Nothing else like it.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Got anything that isn't really that exotic or difficult to accomplish travel/sight-seeing wise but for whatever reason you just haven't gotten around to doing, despite regularly vowing to knock it off the list? I'm not talking seeing Antarctica here, just something in your own country that for whatever reason hasn't happened.

My first coming to mind = the battlefields and historic locations of the American Revolutionary and Civil War. I've actually lived in Washington DC which is within weekend trip of lots of that stuff, and every year I read more stuff about it and wish I'd taken the time to do it when I was in that area.

Battlefields and monuments of those wars

Old 11-01-2018, 01:56 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I live less than an hour's drive from the White House, and about two hour's drive from the Gettysburg battlefield. I've long desired to visit both, yet so far I haven't. (Sure, I've seen the outside of the WH; but I've never taken the tour.) Don't know what's stopping me, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I went to every county, , finishing in about 1985. Then I remarried, and my wife and I tried to do them again and fell about 100 short, but I think most of those I got at least twice the first time around. Its not that hard to do in a decade if you have time for a couple if leisurely road trips a year.
I honestly don't see how it's possible to hit every county, twice, by doing a couple of "leisurely" road trips a year. But maybe this poster's definition of "leisurely" is different from mine.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:03 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
1. Mesa Verde, to see the old Cliff dwellings.
2. Utah Arches & Canyonlands
3. Wildlife in Africa.

Hoping to do the first two, next year.
# 3 within 4 years.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:57 PM

75 posts, read 62,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I remember that! Southern Foodways Alliance also has a Hot Tamale Trail oral history and map.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...uth-180947973/

Might be Mississippi instead of Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel