Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 07:01 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Those of you who said "The Alamo," need to know it will be bigger in a few years. There's a project underway to expand the grounds and add a museum to house a huge collection of artifacts donated by the musician, Phil Collins.
Remember the Abacab.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:13 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Taos Pueblo is old, and it sits in a pretty spot. I appreciate that. Too bad the inhabitants are resentful and contemptuous of their visitors. That was the problem. There are better ways to blow $50 with your family.
Hmmm -- I've never experienced that attitude at Taos. There are some pueblos that are more or less traditional and some days that are more reserved for residents than others. We were asked to leave once from a different pueblo on a feast day celebration but the issue was that the incoming pueblo members couldn't find parking spaces because of the tourists...a modern problem in a traditional pueblo setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 08:56 AM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Alaska.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:31 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Alaska.
Really? That’s disappointing! How so? I haven’t been there but it’s on my bucket list.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Really? That’s disappointing! How so? I haven’t been there but it’s on my bucket list.
It's amazing... keep it on your list.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
I live in Texas-- Alamo Blah. Very few people mentioned Vegas and thats good because Vegas has lots to offer-food -I love the lake when its hot. We always stay in the Platinum--great location -good price and they allow dogs. The only time I went to a strip club it was depressing- obese males with cigs and drinks and the poor girls who had to pretend to like them.

Singapore seemed like a big shopping mall.

Palm Springs wasn't interesting - Alaska had too many mosquitoes,

SW Washington was really special (not Seattle)- rain forests -Columbia River. Cool summers.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
The St. Louis Arch has been mentioned several times - but did those who visited it and were disappointed also check out the wonderful underground museum of westward exploration directly beneath it?? I found it by chance while visiting St Louis with friends several years ago - we were meeting others at the Arch, it began to rain hard - we ducked under - and there was the museum, free for the asking. Check it out next time, you won't regret it.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:05 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
For me it would be Rockefeller Center. They look like they are having a blast on TV and when my friend actually talked me into going by there, pretty much just a empty sidewalk on a NYC street.

What other tourist sites have you seen to and were like BLAH, when you got there.

Rockefeller is a joke! The tree was barren the year I was there and the ice rink is an overcrowded postage stamp!

2nd place- Niagara Falls! The falls were beautiful, the tacky skyline of the Canada side was a joke. Wax museum, M&M store, mini golf, Subway........all crap that ruins the whole area

3rd place- Cancun, Mexico! Hell hole for tourists being dumped by cruise ships

Old 11-11-2018, 02:33 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
I like the Canada side Niagara Falls. The whole little city there is like an old time tourist trap, but in an interesting way.
The park around the falls is nice and the view is good. Getting a ride on one of the boats is not too much of an ordeal, either.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:41 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Florence a tourist trap? You’ll have to explain that one to me.
It has been a while but I just found the place generally to be a tourist circus and a money pit -- there are wonderful things to see but, sadly, they are in Florence. I can't imagine that it has gotten any better. I found other Italian destinations more enjoyable, affordable, more authentic, and friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel