U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What have you done away with or without in order to travel?
Don't have children 18 43.90%
Don't have pets 20 48.78%
Don't own a home 11 26.83%
Don't have a yard 13 31.71%
Don't spend money on.... (i.e. restaurants, cable, etc.) 19 46.34%
Don't work a traditional job 9 21.95%
Waited to "settle down" and traveled first 8 19.51%
I just waited to travel a lot until I retired 3 7.32%
Other 8 19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:42 PM

220 posts, read 148,341 times

Advertisements

Fellow travel lovers, what have you excluded or cut out of your life in order to have time/money/energy to travel? This question is for people who travel more than a week or two during the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 05:57 PM

220 posts, read 148,341 times
I'll reply first.

We chose not to have children or pets to free ourselves of responsibilites that would make traveling difficult or expensive. In addition we cut back on expenses in other areas so we could travel. For instance, we live in a very simple and small house, rarely go out to eat, etc. We do budget travel (i.e. best western quality, economy seats in airplanes, and compact car rentals) though to make it all possible. It's all worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:12 PM

5,976 posts, read 2,907,657 times
I checked every single box except for the "don't spend money on" one. We like traveling a lot, it never gets old for us. So that's what we do.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:57 PM

1,914 posts, read 965,314 times
I live simply (but not poorly....) 7 months of the year so I can afford to travel around the country and the world the rest of the time. Small house, modest car, not a drinker or smoker, don't have to have all the latest fashions or fads.

As a previous poster said, it's worth it.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,666 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I live simply (but not poorly....) 7 months of the year so I can afford to travel around the country and the world the rest of the time. Small house, modest car, not a drinker or smoker, don't have to have all the latest fashions or fads.

As a previous poster said, it's worth it.
as per above^^^ (and not on your poll, but likely 20 - 30% of participants. )

We have given up our WEALTH to travel and volunteer / serve others (For last 40 yrs and hopefully NEXT 40 yrs).

There are MILLIONs who have given up far more than us.

(3 trips in last 5 days), been home one day... leaving again tomorrow

We travel cheaper than staying home (Property taxes).

not unusual to be gone more than home (for last 40 yrs)

Used international work assignments to get PAID to travel / live overseas (as a family).

We would have had 1/2 the experience traveling if we had NOT had kids. They open a LOT of doors and minds. They have been away from home for 15 yrs and still traveling also.

Now (Early retirement age... we MUST travel! for affordable healthcare) We are USA medical refugees.
https://patientsbeyondborders.com/

As farmers / rural property owners... traveling (international and national volunteering) comes at a GREAT cost (stamina). We must work really hard and fast when home. My Grandfather (farmer) took 4 days vacation during his 94 yrs on the farm. I am 'over-reacting' to that! But I ESCAPED from Dairy Farm Boarding School at age 15. Life has been a BREEZE ever since. (We often stay and help on Dairy farms). We will have over 150 'nearly' FREE stays this yr. (food and lodging). Our home is always open to others and we enjoy sharing in their travels!

We have learned a lot. and have new friends daily.

Traveling comes at a cost / benefit (socially / emotionally) that can dwarf finances.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:28 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,037,051 times
Honestly, I just don't really like to travel anymore, so I chose "other." I wouldn't do without, so that I could take a vacation where I won't be guaranteed a quiet, comfortable place to sleep, etc. If I was wealthy enough to afford my own chauffer and or plane, etc. I would probably like to travel. But, my money is too tight to gamble on hating a noisy room or too-hard bed, etc. Traveling just for the sake of traveling doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:38 PM

857 posts, read 233,855 times
I am single, no kids, no pets, and I haven't had an official place to live in years. I've either stayed with family or rented rooms for short periods of time. Although that was more due to not knowing where I should live. When you don't have a job that's tied to any particular location (I'm a freelancer), and you don't have a partner, it's kind of difficult to know where you should go.

This is a negative that comes with the nomadic lifestyle that I never hear anyone talk about. I've lived in multiple states and multiple areas of each of those states. I've traveled to many foreign countries. You reach a point where NOWHERE feels like "home" anymore and you just have no clue where you belong. I've been in a bit of a depression in recent times due to this issue. Especially being single, you feel like you're essentially deciding the rest of your life based on where you choose to buy/rent a home. If I move to the LA area I'll most likely end up with a completely different partner than if I move to San Francisco. How do I know where my future partner is? How do I know where my future friends are?

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I thought I'd add an unmentioned item to the list. Something I "gave up" without even realizing I was doing so. Having that anchor to a certain location. I didn't realize how valuable that was until I had been living the nomadic life for more than 10 years. I don't have a home, and sometimes, that really sucks.

I'm currently at a crossroads between traveling more and picking anywhere that looks remotely good so I can settle down and finally be a normal person with a place to call home.

I should add that I didn't specifically avoid kids because I wanted to travel. I just never met anyone to have kids with. I'm glad, though. I've wanted kids less and less as I got older.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 1,410,797 times
Mine ebbs and flows. different things at different times. We decided to have children so when the children were small our travels where wherever we could go in a car with the kiddies or long weekends when grandparents could watch the kids.

then when college started we gave up traveling. lol nothing says stay home like a 12K tuition bill staring you in the face.

Now that the kids are old and almost out the house I am unfortunately a widow. 2016 I had my knee replaced so that also put a crimp in the travel plans.

last year I got my groove back, I have disposable income so I don't really have to "give" up anything but again not all my trips are big budgeted affairs. a long weekend in upstate nyc can rejuvenate me this year my son, my niece and nephew graduated from college so I took 4 millennial on a grand vacation over the summer. the cousins are very close being so close in age and it will probably be the last summer they have unencumbered.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:18 PM

38,110 posts, read 55,898,625 times
None of the above. A home, yard, pets, kids, job, and normal daily living expenses wouldn't prevent me from traveling. It's all about priorities, budgeting and organizing life, so everything has its place. I travelled every single year of my life. One long vacation (3-8 weeks) and several "long weekend" (Fri-Tue) trips per year. There were times I made 2-3 overseas trips a year.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-01-2018 at 08:26 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 09:48 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,005,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
None of the above. A home, yard, pets, kids, job, and normal daily living expenses wouldn't prevent me from traveling. It's all about priorities, budgeting and organizing life, so everything has its place. I travelled every single year of my life. One long vacation (3-8 weeks) and several "long weekend" (Fri-Tue) trips per year. There were times I made 2-3 overseas trips a year.
THIS!!!!

We have kids and pets and we just watch save or work OT so we can travel. We usually do one big family trip a year, several weekend family trips and several short trips with just me and my DH. We have my mom stay at our house when my DH and I go and when we all go somewhere my neighbors come and check on our two cats.

We love to travel so we make it work without giving up anything else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or