Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:50 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times

Advertisements

Great thread. None of these are undiscovered by any means, but a few places that I think are underrated generally:

-Quebec City
-Athens, Greece
-San Antonio
-Finger Lakes region of upstate NY
-Oregon coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Agreed! Love it!

When I was a boy, we would drive along the Straits of Juan De Fuca to the east end of Lake Ozette, Fill our boat with supplies and motor across to the west end. There were primitive campsites there and a trail to the ocean. We also fished Ozette, and I caught a 5 lb rainbow which was a blast! We would also use dip nets to catch smelt in the ocean surf. Smelt really aren't that tasty, but fresh caught and cooked over an open fire, they were delicious!

sinatras, thanks for helping to stimulate my memory banks!

Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Great thread. None of these are undiscovered by any means, but a few places that I think are underrated generally:

-Quebec City
-Athens, Greece
-San Antonio
-Finger Lakes region of upstate NY
-Oregon coast
I remember Tom Mccall saying "Come visit Oregon, enjoy our State, but don't stay!"

Old 11-05-2018, 09:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I will throw out a couple:

Kohler Waters Spa in Wisconsin

Seaside, Florida

Nantucket, Mass.

Pretty much anywhere in Wyoming in summer

Vermont in autumn

Paris, because it's most assuredly the best place on Earth and can never be rated highly enough (some people actually don't like it )!

Since when is Nantucket or Vermont during leaf peeper season "undiscovered"? Yellowstone and Jackson Hole are in Wyoming. They're overrun with tourists all summer.

I spent a week in Galicia a couple of years ago as part of a Madrid, Sanxenxo, Porto, Lisbon trip. I was in Sanxenxo in early October after the summer tourist season and it was really nice. I'd have a different opinion in August at their peak season.

I ski. For ski trips, the places I really like are the undeveloped smaller ski areas with no fancy ski lifts and no slopeside lodging and glitzy base village. Monarch in Colorado is like that. A lot of the ski fields in New Zealand are like that. Termas de Chillan in Chile is like that.

I think most underrated/undiscovered places are really hard to get to.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:19 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
I think Antarctica is quite underrated. However, given that a lot to perhaps most of people that travel are scientists, it's not a practical vacation spot considering the harsh weather conditions.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:52 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Great Basin National Park in eastern Nevada. Its very isolated and doesn't see huge tourist traffic yet. Its an alpine island in the middle of the desert. If you get tired of hiking through the forest, you can tour Lehman Cave.

The Green River Lake area in northern Wyoming. Full of hiking trails and little lakes that can be fished.

High Uintas Primitive Area in northern Utah. Like the Green River Lakes this area mostly has to be hiked and cannot be seen from a car. In the summer months, its spectacularly beautiful.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:22 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Undervisited
-California's Lost Coast
-Paso Robles
-Valencia, Spain
-Bologna, Italy
-Santa Cruz, Chile
-Sonoma Coast

Underrated
-Frankfurt
-Paris
-Santiago
-Tokyo
-Osaka
-St. Louis

Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Philadelphia

You just have to be careful to know where the high-crime spots are

Old 11-05-2018, 02:13 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We saw a wild orangutan while hiking near Sandakan, definitely a once-in-a-lifetime moment and I almost peed in my pants. It is a strange world when you see an orangutan in a tree in the morning, and are eating in McDonald's that evening.
Or floating on the lake, watching elephants crossing the river and feeling a million miles from anywhere. Then the motor won't start, out comes the phone and five minutes later there's the rescue boat.

The food is wonderful (did not go to Maccas!) the people are lovely and mostly speak good English, the five star resorts around Kota Kinabalu are half the price of many other places. When we were there the people even observed the boarding calls at the airport without rushing into a queue. Think I am talking myself into another visit!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:34 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Since when is Nantucket or Vermont during leaf peeper season "undiscovered"? Yellowstone and Jackson Hole are in Wyoming. They're overrun with tourists all summer.

I spent a week in Galicia a couple of years ago as part of a Madrid, Sanxenxo, Porto, Lisbon trip. I was in Sanxenxo in early October after the summer tourist season and it was really nice. I'd have a different opinion in August at their peak season.

I ski. For ski trips, the places I really like are the undeveloped smaller ski areas with no fancy ski lifts and no slopeside lodging and glitzy base village. Monarch in Colorado is like that. A lot of the ski fields in New Zealand are like that. Termas de Chillan in Chile is like that.

I think most underrated/undiscovered places are really hard to get to.

Nantucket in October is virtually deserted (and cheap). You will be walking the beaches accompanied by birds and seals and that's it!

So is Vermont, if you know which towns to hit.

Wyoming in summer: I have never encountered crowds in Wyoming in ANY season, but of course I make sure to avoid the crowded areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel