Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 02:56 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I've heard that people that buy homes on the beach eventually say "The ocean NEVER shuts up!" and miss peace and quiet after awhile.
None of this bothers me, because I've got tinitis. Always crickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
maybe because it's not nasty. and I go to Ocean City in July. average temperature is 85° Average water temperature is ~70-73°

So like most stereotypes, it pretty much shows how ignorant you are of the area.

Ocean City is completely tacky and disgusting. The traffic getting to and from there alone is enough to shave decades off your lifespan. And the water and sand? NASTY. No brown water and sand for me, thanks. And
70 degree water is COLD. In Maui the water is in the mid-70s (still chilly) but at least you can see right through it b/c it's so clear and swim with millions of rainbow colored fish, dolphins, turtles, etc.

If you think this is a nice beach, you haven't seen a nice beach, that's fer damn sure.

Last edited by sinatras; 11-14-2018 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It depends on the beach. If beaches were overrated then it wouldn't cost 7 figures to live near or have an open view of the best ones.

It's about several things:

1. Beaches are a luxury and not everyone has the luxury of visiting or living near one. This fact itself brings some exclusivity/novelty to the beach experience

2. Beaches are normally located in tropical weather which are almost always preferable to warmer climate

3. The whole body thing is nothing. Half the time folks are walking around with the most disgusting body you can imagine, the other half look good. It shouldn't make or break your beach experience

4. Beach and vacation are almost synonymous with each other.

5. Beaches/water are almost synonymous with money and fun outdoor activities. Which means there is demand, folks want it. The kayaking, surfing, snorkeling, open roof restaurants and bars, Caribbean music, lovely wind blowing, boats, swimming, jet skiing, wake-boarding, etc.

8. Oh and as opposed to a vacation to Las Vegas or NYC, relaxing on the beach all day is FREE

*I'm referring only to good beaches

I agree with the novelty part. When I lived in inland areas and went to a coastal place, I would go to the ocean, though that was only a part of my vacation. The idea of spending several days at the beach is boring to me. I live in a coastal area now, and go to the shore once in a while. For the most part, I feel like there's just far too much to do here that isn't the beach. Because it's so convenient and not a novelty, I go when there's a heatwave and it would be nice to cool down.

I disagree with the "normally located in tropical weather" because that's flat out false, and I believe most beaches aren't in tropical areas (I live by a number of them). There are a number of beaches along the Arctic and Southern Ocean shores, as well as areas far from the Tropics.

You skipped points 6 and 7, but to point 8 there are activities in those cities you mentioned that are free too. As with New York and Vegas, you'd still have to pay for a hotel in a beach area, as well as transportation to it. However, in New York and Vegas you could go sightseeing at absolutely no cost and fill up a full day of doing just that. While I think Vegas would get boring fast without spending (though I'm a gambler), you can see sights all over the world without spending a dime (aside from the aforementioned hotel and travel costs).

Old 11-17-2018, 06:24 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I agree with the novelty part. When I lived in inland areas and went to a coastal place, I would go to the ocean, though that was only a part of my vacation. The idea of spending several days at the beach is boring to me. I live in a coastal area now, and go to the shore once in a while. For the most part, I feel like there's just far too much to do here that isn't the beach. Because it's so convenient and not a novelty, I go when there's a heatwave and it would be nice to cool down.

I disagree with the "normally located in tropical weather" because that's flat out false, and I believe most beaches aren't in tropical areas (I live by a number of them). There are a number of beaches along the Arctic and Southern Ocean shores, as well as areas far from the Tropics.

You skipped points 6 and 7, but to point 8 there are activities in those cities you mentioned that are free too. As with New York and Vegas, you'd still have to pay for a hotel in a beach area, as well as transportation to it. However, in New York and Vegas you could go sightseeing at absolutely no cost and fill up a full day of doing just that. While I think Vegas would get boring fast without spending (though I'm a gambler), you can see sights all over the world without spending a dime (aside from the aforementioned hotel and travel costs).
If I visit NYC then I guess a beach visit will be the last thing I would consider to do.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:28 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Ocean City is completely tacky and disgusting. The traffic getting to and from there alone is enough to shave decades off your lifespan. And the water and sand? NASTY. No brown water and sand for me, thanks. And
70 degree water is COLD. In Maui the water is in the mid-70s (still chilly) but at least you can see right through it b/c it's so clear and swim with millions of rainbow colored fish, dolphins, turtles, etc.

If you think this is a nice beach, you haven't seen a nice beach, that's fer damn sure.
Not everyone can easily afford Maui once a month or even once a year.
Perhaps Ocean City beach is a poor man’s Maui?

Old 11-17-2018, 06:31 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Not everyone can easily afford Maui once a month or even once a year.
Perhaps Ocean City beach is a poor man’s Maui?

Ocean City is not cheap. Try $200/nigh for a 3 Star/Holiday inn - in season. There are better alternatives that don't include an hour crossing the bay bridge.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:53 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Really depends! If said beach is not overly crowded, offers white sandy beaches, activities, good restaurants nearby, affordable hotels and warm water, it's a blast!

Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times
I was never a huge beach vacation fan until I went to the Caribbean. Anywhere else, and you usually sweating while you sit there on the beach, in the sun.

I have been a Turks and Caicos 2 times. That is my absolute favorite place to go on a vacation. The beach and the water is unbelievable, and you could sit there without breaking a sweat.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
There are two kinds of people. Those that love the beach and those that don't.

When I go there I have no need to do anything but sit in the sand, gaze into the water and breathe the salt air. Summer or Winter. It renews me and gives me life.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:21 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There are two kinds of people. Those that love the beach and those that don't.

When I go there I have no need to do anything but sit in the sand, gaze into the water and breathe the salt air. Summer or Winter. It renews me and gives me life.
Absolutely! I rarely sit for long periods of time. I enjoy walking the entire length of the beach. I remember walking Ipanema Beach in Rio, talk about good people watching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel