Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:10 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Many/most people choose their destinations largely so they can tell folks back home they've been there. I wen to see the Potemkin Steps when I was in Odessa exactly for that reason. It's not nearly so impressive without thousands of people running down them.

Nothing is less impressive than the Custer Battlefield, but you have to see that particular acre of non-descript prairie.
I can see your point, but I still want to go there. I have this fantasy about standing where the 7th made it's last stand, and hearing the gunshots, bugles, war cries of the Sioux, horses hoofs, etc. in my mind's eye, and put myself in the middle of what that horror must have been like, maybe if only to honor the courage of those brave warriors on both sides. I'd like to visit Normandy for the same reason. I guess I just have a romanticized vision of history, and other than watching a Hollywood re-creation, it's the only way to experience it.

To the post, many of the places I've been are without peer - Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Angel's Landing in Zion, Mesa Verde, and others - I'm really glad I got to see those things when I was young enough to be in awe of them. By the time you're in your sixties (I speak from experience), I imagine you're concerned with how badly your knees hurt from making the climb, or that your Depends are bunching up in your nether regions, and it detracts from the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 12:41 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I can see your point, but I still want to go there. I have this fantasy about standing where the 7th made it's last stand, and hearing the gunshots, bugles, war cries of the Sioux, horses hoofs, etc. in my mind's eye, and put myself in the middle of what that horror must have been like, maybe if only to honor the courage of those brave warriors on both sides. I'd like to visit Normandy for the same reason. I guess I just have a romanticized vision of history, and other than watching a Hollywood re-creation, it's the only way to experience it.

To the post, many of the places I've been are without peer - Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Angel's Landing in Zion, Mesa Verde, and others - I'm really glad I got to see those things when I was young enough to be in awe of them. By the time you're in your sixties (I speak from experience), I imagine you're concerned with how badly your knees hurt from making the climb, or that your Depends are bunching up in your nether regions, and it detracts from the experience.
Big Hole National Battlefield where the Nez Pierce fought against the US Army in their futile attempt to escape as they were being forced from their native lands. The visitor center is small but has vistas of the battle grounds and interesting information. It was very poignant.

https://www.nps.gov/biho/index.htm

Last edited by xPlorer48; 11-17-2018 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Spell check

Old 11-17-2018, 12:48 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
I don’t think there are too many equivalents of our more popular national parks. But, if Bryce is crowded, Cedar Breaks has the same geology but at 10,000 feet. Hetch Hetchy is the reservoir for San Francisco but has the same type of scenery as Yosemite. Ditto Lake Powell which was the scenic Glen Canyon. I can’t think of others right now but am sure there are close equivalents.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:10 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England -

Stonehenge, Maryhill, Washington -

Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska

Sequoia National Park, California

Calaveras Big Trees State Park, California

Old 11-17-2018, 02:44 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Stonehenge, Maryhill, Washington

That's one I'm definitely going to visit, mostly because it's a WW1 memorial.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:06 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Going to beach and reading a book.
You can do it in your bedroom. ha jk

But seriously, water bungalows in Bora Bora vs same experience in Maldives.
Price and travel time from Eastern and Midwestern United States.

Bora Bora is almost double the cost for about the same what you could get in Maldives.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:52 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In Agra, India, the Red Fort vs. the Taj Mahal.

The Red Fort is in Delhi and the Taj Mahal is in Agra, 3-4 hours away. There is a small Agra Fort but it is nothing like Red Fort

I have been to both Red Fort many times and Taj Mahal twice. Red Fort used to be one of my favorite places in Delhi along with Qutub Minar but the last time I went it somehow did not excite me that much. By contrast Taj Mahal is beautiful. One of the places that lives up to its reputation, especially in the evening sun.

If you go all the way to India it is worth going to both the places. They are so different.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:22 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
The Red Fort is in Delhi and the Taj Mahal is in Agra, 3-4 hours away. There is a small Agra Fort but it is nothing like Red Fort

If you go all the way to India it is worth going to both the places. They are so different.
I went "all the way to India", spent a month there, and never got within 1,000 km of either of them. My "alternative" was Assam and Sikkim.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:40 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Lol, Carhendge vs Stonehendge. As a kid, carhendge was fun, but I can't imagine that being a real tourist attraction for adults.

I can't really think of any off the top of my head, but its fun seeing other comments. You guys make me wish I could travel more.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:09 AM

638 posts, read 594,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
What's a nice alternative to a more popular tourist site? Must be something that doesn't cost much more but offers same theme along whatever lines culture, architecture, natural beauty as the more common destination. For example:

The common destination = Angkor Wat
The nice alternative = Bagan
I went to Angkor Wat and followed about a 4 days later with Bagan. In my opinion Bagan doesnt even come close.

Shoddy, falling apart temples, all almost totally identical, and for the most part much much smaller then anything in Angkor. However, I will say the hot air balloon ride was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel