Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:44 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I got an e mail that my return trip with AA and BA from Amsterdam Januari 10 is partly cancelled. The itinerary was Amsterdam to London to Chicago to Louisville. It is cancelled after London....
Should I wait for an e mail to see what they come up with, or call.
What are my rights? Like money back, or just none?
Does this happen often? I did not get insurance, because it is basically a scam. And it was a very cheap ticket, but that shouldn't matter.
I have used Expedia about 20 times, never had a problem.

Asked the same question in Aviation. By maybe folks here have more knowledge, experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 08:13 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Not sure I understand the whole picture. Was your trip booked in individual segments? Were each of those stops (Chicago and London) layovers or stopovers? Did you need to stop in Chicago or do you just need to get to Louisville?

Generally speaking, you should be getting a refund for the canceled flights, but I am not sure how they would price those segments separately. Since these are major, legacy airways in AA and BA, I imagine they are actually planning to put you on a different flight. I know the expedia third-party booking sometimes worries a lot of people, who have had horror stories, but I believe it will be fine in this case. However you are likely looking at an itinerary change that may not be what you preferred.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:17 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Wouldn't the obvious answer be to call Expedia and ask?

Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Wouldn't the obvious answer be to call Expedia and ask?
Yes, and I wil do that later today. I was just wondering what to expect, and maybe they start out bluffing.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 AM

Thank you projectmaximus. I would expect the same, a new trip. Luckily I am not tied to any dates. I bought the whole trip as one package. Both ways.
Thought about giving it some time.
About one year ago AA was late in Louisville, so I couldn't get in time in Dallas for the flight to EU. They arranged for a flight the next day. I always go for a month, so it was not a big deal to me. And it was a better route.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
When a flight or flight segment is cancelled or substantially altered, the airline/TA is supposed to either refund the ticket or rebook you onto another flight(s) with no additional charge to you. Any first option offered for rebooking is the one that's easiest for the airlines, not necessarily what's best for you.

Do your research before calling in, and have about three alternate flight options that work well for you. Generally if you're reasonable, ("I see you cancelled the 1:45 from Louisville to Chicago, can you just put me on the 12:10 instead?") the airline will be reasonable in return.

There are some people who actively hope for schedule changes when booking directly with the airline because rebooking rules will often allow them to go from the undesirable and therefore cheap option (ie. 5:13 am departure time to start the trip) to what had been a more expensive ticket (ie. 9:30am departure) at the tiem of first booking.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:35 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
I wouldn’t agree that travel insurance is a scam. It’s been quite useful on a few occasions.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:28 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
I would expect that Expedia would re-book you on another flight. I am sure there are quite a few flights from London to Chicago for your travel date. Expedia could re-book you on another airline, if necessary.

A few months ago I booked a hotel on Priceline (Royal Sonesta Concierge Room in New Orleans) for a great price. About a week before departure, Booking.com (agent for Priceline) sent me an email that Royal Sonesta was cancelling the reservation unless I was willing to pony up extra money ($140/night) because the rate was wrong. Six weeks after booking!

I told Booking.com that I expected them to honor the rate; especially since it was so close to departure.The rate was online for at least a week or two. It was a really good rate, but not outlandish. I have booked similar great deals at other hotels with no issues.

I will never stay at Royal Sonesta again because they would not honor the rate. Booking.com reimbursed the difference ($800+) between the original booking price and adjusted price.

BTW, I had to use travel insurance on one occasion and I received a full refund.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:09 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Yesterday I got an e mail that my return trip with AA and BA from Amsterdam Januari 10 is partly cancelled. The itinerary was Amsterdam to London to Chicago to Louisville. It is cancelled after London....
Should I wait for an e mail to see what they come up with, or call.
What are my rights? Like money back, or just none?
Does this happen often? I did not get insurance, because it is basically a scam. And it was a very cheap ticket, but that shouldn't matter.
I have used Expedia about 20 times, never had a problem.

Asked the same question in Aviation. By maybe folks here have more knowledge, experience with this.
Most likely it is the airline that canceled the flight from London. Look up flights on the airline it was with and find a flights that suit you to your home base. When booking with an airline they usually do this for you but send an email asking you to either ok the changes or call for more suitable flights.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:13 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
This type of situation is why I always get travel insurance, especially for flights as well as anything else prepurchased I can’t get a refund on. It’s easy and cheap enough to purchase on Expedia, too.

Travel insurance is not a scam, and like some other posters here, I’ve had to use it on occasion. I think it’s well worth getting, and it doesn’t cost that much. And as you age, it’s even more important to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel