Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The last thing I want overseas is American fast food. I always look for local places. And I've been to about 45 different countries. I remember one time in Germany I had a counterpart that had a rental car. It was lunchtime and he suggested going to Burger King, which totally disgusted me. Let me show you the little hut in the woods, I told him, which was much closer. He was absolutely amazed and thanked me for steering him that way. Delicious German food and beer. I'm not wasting my time eating crap food.
Funny thing is that my friends and I were dying to eat at the local Burger King after a week of traveling throughout Istanbul (we were not big fans of the local fare). And my friends were right with you initially about never eating American fast food when overseas, but even they had enough of what were we otherwise eating lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 08:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Pollo Campero!

Or to save a few quetzales instead go to their cheaper take-out only sister chain, Pollo Granjero.
Pollo Camparo has 70 stores in the USA mostly in California.

I know of at least two Mexican based chains have operations in Arizona.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:36 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
We ate at a McDonalds in Switzerland,mostly due to price, we had only recently arrived, & were walking around downtown, & only peckish. Most of the local places seemed to be at least SF20 per head, whereas we went to McD & got the chicken salad for 2 people for about SF20, so it was cheaper & that was the only reason we did it ( & only once on a month long trip) Traveling is all about being flexible.

What is ironic, is that I probably have not eaten at McD for years & years before or after that.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Pollo Camparo has 70 stores in the USA mostly in California.
Yep, saw one in Virginia a few months ago. I read somewhere they have a few in Middle East and Europe as well. There aren't many Guatemalaan intl chains!

Old 12-25-2018, 03:06 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The last thing I want overseas is American fast food.
You eat enough local food enough times and that American fast food feels more exotic.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:06 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Vacations and trips less than a few weeks, I’m trying and enjoying the local food. When I lived in the Netherlands for six months on a startup, my Saturday ritual was to take the train to “another city” to explore what it had to offer. Lunch was typically McD’s for that one day. Lol

Old 12-26-2018, 12:20 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
My stepdaughter says the only reason a Filipino would go to McDonald is for the relative peace and quiet, which is hard to find in this country. We spent an hour in one while a pirate program was being installed in her laptop across the street. I think that's the only time I've ever been in one.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:24 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My stepdaughter says the only reason a Filipino would go to McDonald is for the relative peace and quiet, which is hard to find in this country. We spent an hour in one while a pirate program was being installed in her laptop across the street. I think that's the only time I've ever been in one.
Have you been to jollibee? Those are everywhere in the Philippines and they have a few Hawaii locations that I've been to.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:39 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Have you been to jollibee? Those are everywhere in the Philippines and they have a few Hawaii locations that I've been to.
Of course. Dozens of times, going on hundreds. But they are loud and crowded and busy. An they have free delivery to my house, and the burgers are much cheaper and better. But for a quiet hour, its MCD.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:39 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
McDonald's in Israel has an excellent fresh chopped Israeli "Salat" (salad). Chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, bit of olive oil, maybe a tiny bit of onion. They put it all whole into a chopping machine in front of you - each one is custom made, freshly chopped. It's delicious and healthy, although not particularly cheap.

It's not my first choice while in Israel - there are tons of good falafel and schwarma places, and ethnic food of all varieties, and fine restaurants too. But dining out in Israel can be pretty expensive for anything more than falafel, so especially in a remote area without a lot of options, it's nice to know that I can get a decent salad in a McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel