Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:39 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

I carry it whenever I fly. You never know when the TSA will decide a drivers license is not a suitable form of identification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 04:44 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Always carry your passport on you while you are exploring. Never leave the hotel without it.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:16 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I only carry mine when I don't feel good about the in room hotel safe.
I don't trust hotel safes. Often there's a safety default code (like 0000) in case you forget your code. There is a master code to the safe and room door. I do not trust maintenance and cleaning personnel.

Sorry, but I've seen too many videos. Yes, I'll carry my passport on me, but on a different part of my body than my daily cash, such as in a neckpouch that goes under my T-shirt.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:14 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Years back, we didn’t have photos on our driving licences in U.K., it was just a piece of paper, folded over, and placed in a plastic folder, with your name and address visible.
When you took it out and unfolded it, it showed which groups you were licenced to drive, motorcycles, cars, light vans, 7-10 ton vans, 18 wheelers etc., and any infractions which had earned you demerit points, speeding, running a red etc.
One day in the early eighties, I was vacationing in New York, staying with a girlfriend that I’d met while she was an exchange student in London.
She lived near Howard Beach, in the south of Queens, and one day, we were going to visit a friend of hers, in my rental, who lived in Sheepshead Bay.
As I was sailing along the Brooklyn Belt Parkway, within the speed limit, a cop pulled me over, he said that he thought my hood wasn’t closed properly, but it was.
He asked for ID, and I told him that our licences didn’t have photos, sorry.
He said, “You’re obviously British, have you got your passport?”
I said, “Not with me, it’s at my girlfriend’s house, in Howard Beach.”
He said, “If I was you kid, (he and I were both around the same age), I’d keep it with me while in the U.S., now you take it easy, and enjoy your day.”

Old 12-31-2018, 06:24 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
If I am tourist in a foreign country, then I carry my passport with me any time I leave the immediate vicinity of my lodging place (except for a situation where I might go swimming or any water activities which is quite rare for me). If I am in a foreign country for other purposes (such as a prolonged work assignment), I won't carry my passport with me everywhere. Some countries provide people on the temporary legal work assignments a local identity card so one doesn't need to have their passport with them.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:27 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
When I travel, I keep my passport with me. When I lived in Europe, I kept my passport in my safe deposit box there, unless I planned to cross a border (prior to EU) and/or wanted to get a refund of VAT taxes.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:16 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Best advice is:

• lock your passport in a safe if you have access to one, or if you are required to keep it with you, ensure its location is not visible.
  • make two photocopies of your passport – leave one with friends or family and take the second with you, or store an electronic copy securely; where permitted, use your photocopy as alternative ID, for example when going out at night.
  • for certain countries your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you travel – check the entry requirements before you go
  • ensure you fill in the emergency details / next of kin page before you go.
Be passport aware and avoid being hustled on holiday - Gov.UK
I have only been out of the country to Canada and on a cruise, but my DH travels internationally for work and he said he puts it in the safe as soon as he checks in to the hotel. He has been to China, UK, Germany, France, Belgium and several other countries. He has never been asked to see it in any of these countries, but does keep a photo of it on his phone and in his wallet.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:02 AM

155 posts, read 148,896 times
Never - we travelled around the world last year visiting over 25 countries and were never asked to produce a passport! As a contingency I have a scanned copy on my phone.

The risk of losing (or having it stolen) is possibly far higher than being asked to produce it!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:43 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
On my two trips to China, I never carried it except when I specifically needed it (traveling internally, banking, etc.). I was mostly in Shanghai, and was never randomly stopped and asked to show it. From what I saw, the police there harass and randomly stop "rural-looking" Chinese, Ughers, and Africans all the time, but never white Westerners. My first trip I was there for a month and a half, and my second trip was for a month, and I never had a problem not having my passport on me.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:59 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
On my two trips to China, I never carried it except when I specifically needed it (traveling internally, banking, etc.). I was mostly in Shanghai, and was never randomly stopped and asked to show it. From what I saw, the police there harass and randomly stop "rural-looking" Chinese, Ughers, and Africans all the time, but never white Westerners. My first trip I was there for a month and a half, and my second trip was for a month, and I never had a problem not having my passport on me.
In China foreigners need a passport to check into a hotel. I heard a story from one of my former colleague that a colleague of theirs (that I had never met) traveled to Beijing without his passport and although he had a hotel reservation, the hotel refused to check him in because he didn't have his passport. The guy was forced to spend the night on a bench at a local train station to go back the next morning to where he had come from!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel