Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:59 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times

Advertisements

I would like to go to Houston next summer (June-July) for a week (coming from San Diego). I heard that Houston is incredibly expensive for tourists, even more so than Los Angeles or San Diego. I know that the hotel tax is 17%, the highest in the country. But how is airfare? Is it markedly more expensive than flying from San Diego to NYC or Seattle or Hawaii?

I would have no problem living in Days Inn and flying Southwest. I heard zipcar has annual fees starting from $70. I heard Houston is cheaper during the summer; is this true?

It's hard to believe that Houston, one of the most bashed cities in the nation, might be as expensive as Hawaii for tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:38 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Beats me. But it's gonna be hot as he'll and more humid than you can believe. (Which generally brings down hotel costs for tourists - see phoenix/Scottsdale for proof.)

Put your question on the Houston board.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:04 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Houston is quite affordable.

Who told you it's expensive? I used to live in small towns not too far from Houston. Hotels are very affordable during the weekends. And really, you only need a weekend to see everything you need. There aren't a lot of touristy stuff in Houston.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Beats me. But it's gonna be hot as he'll and more humid than you can believe. (Which generally brings down hotel costs for tourists - see phoenix/Scottsdale for proof.)

Put your question on the Houston board.
I have been to the Gulf Coast during the summer for two months before. While humid, the copious rain provided great relief from the heat. Believe me, summers in coastal Louisiana and Mississippi are nothing compared to the absolutely miserable heat suffered by those in the rainless California Central Valley summers!

Old 12-29-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Houston is quite affordable.

Who told you it's expensive? I used to live in small towns not too far from Houston. Hotels are very affordable during the weekends. And really, you only need a weekend to see everything you need. There aren't a lot of touristy stuff in Houston.
I like to go off the beaten path. My idea of a vacation includes touring sprawling suburban subdivisions like The Woodlands, Sienna Plantation, etc, just soaking up the "suburb in the bayou/piney woods" atmosphere.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I like to go off the beaten path. My idea of a vacation includes touring sprawling suburban subdivisions like The Woodlands, Sienna Plantation, etc, just soaking up the "suburb in the bayou/piney woods" atmosphere.
I like the Woodlands, but it's no different from other upscale retail/residential neighborhoods.

Houston is ridiculously hot in the summer.

I plan to fly to Houston next March. Spring is the best place to go, in my opinion.

https://www.priceline.com/relax/in/3...190323/rooms/1

A ton of affordable hotels.

The only pricey place in Texas is Austin. I don't why hotels are that expensive there.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:07 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
I'm glad OP wants to go to Houston in the summer, because that way no one else has to.

Seriously...why not just check out prices on one of the many booking websites? Then you KNOW what it costs, not some vague idea that it is "expensive."

By the way, everybody expects that there are local taxes and sometimes resort fees added. But every website that does booking lets you see the total price before committing.

> The only pricey place in Texas is Austin. I don't why hotels are that expensive there.

Because there ARE reasons to go to Austin. Because it's weird, and because it has barbecue.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I'm glad OP wants to go to Houston in the summer, because that way no one else has to.

Seriously...why not just check out prices on one of the many booking websites? Then you KNOW what it costs, not some vague idea that it is "expensive."

By the way, everybody expects that there are local taxes and sometimes resort fees added. But every website that does booking lets you see the total price before committing.

> The only pricey place in Texas is Austin. I don't why hotels are that expensive there.

Because there ARE reasons to go to Austin. Because it's weird, and because it has barbecue.
Good barbecues can be found in almost any sizeable towns, such as Bryan.

There are no resort fees in Houston.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Houston's great. Even in the summer. Baseball, breweries, world class food, reasonable hotels. Even car rental is really cheap if you pick it up off-airport, or get a deal. United often has great deals from SoCal to IAH as well, so don't restrict yourself to SWA.

I'll stack Killen's BBQ against anything in Austin area without hesitation too.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 3,898 times
Houston is hot in the summer...about the same as DC, Jacksonville, Chicago and a lot of other places. Generally that means less people come here and the tourist prices are better. Uber/Lyft is cheap. If you plan to stay mostly in the downtown area that might be a better bet than renting a car. Most of the Uber guys/gals are a good source of info too. But remember Houston is the largest city (geographically) in the US. So if you plan on going to the further out locations you'll want a car.

Houston does not have a lot of touristy stuff, true. The best way to experience Houston is to research the restaurants and live attractions that interest you. Check out the City's travel bureau web site at visithouston.com and the Houston Press event calendar. Both are excellent sources of info. Plan on finding the places that interest you. Houston is a bit like a treasure hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel