Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM

1,989 posts, read 1,714,819 times

Advertisements

So far Madrid/Morocco is booked in February. My travel philosophy is "chase deals not destinations" so where we go for the rest of the year will depend on whatever deals/error fares pop up. I'm sure we will probably do another SE Asia trip and somewhere else in Europe.

Domestically probably Las Vegas, New Orleans, and a few other good food cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 12:23 PM

984 posts, read 1,002,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
My travel philosophy is "chase deals not destinations" so where we go for the rest of the year will depend on whatever deals/error fares pop up.

We are exactly the same way. We know that due to my daughter's school calendar, we can take a vacation during Presidents' Week in February when schools are closed, and then again in August between her summer day camp ending and school starting. About 6 months in advance we start poking around online to find airfare deals for places that we're generally interested in, and we let the price/value guide us. For next month's trip to Savannah/Charleston we snagged great deals on airfare and hotels last summer. We'd be poking around soon for an August destination, but that trip location (Utah) is already decided because we're visiting a friend who is opening a new business. I'm biased but I think it's pretty smart to be guided by value and price versus being set in stone on visiting a particular location, and this strategy lets us afford to travel more often than we otherwise would.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:15 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,312,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgator View Post
That totally reflects my own experience during my "active" years of camping (9 to 10 years ago) LOL. I would literally set up alarm clock so that when the clock hits midnight, I would be able to lock down my reservation for my favorite camp site through Reserve America.

Totally agree with you on NYS having some fantastic campsites. Just to name the ones I have enjoyed staying at: Woodland Valley (deep in the Catskills, near trail-heads for some impressive hiking trails), North-South Lake(by a lake, very scenic), Bear Pond State Park (the closest mountain campground to NYC).

The one that I have always dreamed of going but so far have not had the chance of visiting is Indian Lakes. There are a number of sites that are actually siting on small islands in the middle of the lake!!! You actually need to take a canoe and load up all your campground and supply and paddle yourself to the island. Will do that after my kid grows up so we can do that together!!!

https://newyorkstateparks.reserveame...=NY&parkId=649

Ah, camping is my happy place! I have stayed all over the state at this point, but I still prefer the ADKs all the way! I have covered every region though. And I see you are one of those people, taking all the good sites from those of us who don't know if we will have off or not in the future.

I also booked weekends for this year at: North-South Lake and Little Pond. I usually book a weekend at Mongaup but I have been there multiple times and wanted to try somewhere new. Those sites are also in the Catskills and N-S is near a lot of hiking points so I figured, why not?

I don't know Bear Pond. Not Beaver Pond, right? Fahnestock is pretty close to NYC as well.

I have actually stayed at Lewey Lake before (the sister lake to Indian Lake) and I have also stayed on Indian Lake but on the sites right off of the road. I would love a boat-in site (there are apparently quite a few out there in NYS) but IMO, unless it's not too far from the ramp, I don't think I'd want to boat-in on a canoe. Indian Lake is a BIG lake and the last time I was there it was windy as could be. And all I can think about is trying to canoe off the island on a day when I need to check-out and there's a torrential rain. I'll have to wait until I get a motor boat or something. Ha!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,013,847 times
I feel like we went everywhere in the US last year.

This year:

Italy
Bimini
Keys
Disney (we bought each other season passes)
Milwaukee
Dallas
Asheville

Old 01-08-2019, 01:03 PM

5,231 posts, read 3,570,167 times
Thinking of doing a solo tour of Arizona this winter. I haven't vacated in 2-3 years & might splurge for a nice scenic rural hiking/fitness resort for 2-3 weeks to get physically "rebooted" & then road trip Phoenix & Tucson for another 2-3 weeks for the first time.

I really want to revisit Portugal again for a long visit too & tour around different regions but the finances may not handle it after the long AZ hiatus.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:36 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,714,371 times
Lots of good ideas on this thread. Other than my annual break later this year to Mexico, I haven't decided on anywhere else.

I'm feeling kinda bored with my travel routine and looking for ideas to do something different. I'm thinking of going for a sleigh ride this winter just for a long weekend. There's a ranch in Wyoming that offers a sleigh ride to an Elk sanctuary that I might check out.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
I am just coming back from Ghana.

I haven’t yet made any plans other than a trip to Vegas for a show. I wone plane tickets in a raffle on Alaska so I’ll plan a trip to use those somewhere. And I hope to go to Mexico Coty! I’m over Madie for a New Uork City trip so maybe there.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:34 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,558,129 times
Default auto-correcting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am just coming back from Ghana.

I haven’t yet made any plans other than a trip to Vegas for a show. I wone plane tickets in a raffle on Alaska so I’ll plan a trip to use those somewhere. And I hope to go to Mexico Coty! I’m over Madie for a New Uork City trip so maybe there.

Jade,

Your post reads hilariously. I think your phone or device is auto-correcting INCORRECTLY when you type or maybe your finger keeps slipping, or you're in poor light, or....

Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,697,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've been to Costa Rica and Quito. Both are amazing.
When were your trips to both?

I know Costa Rica has probably changed a TON in the past 10 years. But it still looks really nice.

And I can't wait to see Quito one day! Cuenca is on the list too but not sure if I'll make both places in the same trip.

Little Corn Island is actually on my list too but sadly who knows when it'll be safe for me to go there. Sad because it looks amazing...

Old 01-09-2019, 01:43 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,697,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
wow !
Are you retired or how?

How do you get so much time off?
I don't have enough time off to go to all of these places this year...hence the "*".

However, I have already booked Dubai and Seychelles which will be the same trip.

I'd take another long trip to Greece and/or Cape Town (could do one week at either of these places).

Sequoia could be done over a weekend.

PR, Costa Rica and Quito could be done over long weekends (for instance, I get off two days for the 4th of July).

Starting this year I have 23 days off excluding holidays. Most trips are planned around holidays. I also work from home fyi hence the need to get out often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel