U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,973,781 times

Advertisements

Depends of course if you're more interested in natural or man-made sights.

If you like museums/history I'd spend a few days in DC, The Smithsonian, Air & Space Museum, art museums, all conveniently located on The Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM

286 posts, read 1,199,442 times
Being an East Coast girl, and now also in NM, I'd recommend heading along the Jersey shore for part of your trip north. Cape May is beautiful, and has wonderful architecture, great B&B's to stay in and since you're by the beach, seafood and other places to eat. You can always go up the coast, (Ventnor is also beautiful, as is Long Beach Island) and Atlantic City is fun, if for no other reason than that kitsch (sp?) factor. You can get back to the Jersey Turnpike and points north via the Garden State Parkway.

If you find yourself in Rhode Island, take a detour to go to Block Island. You have to take a ferry over, but it's a wonderful place to visit. No (or very few) cars are allowed. Small B&B's, again great food and beautiful beaches to walk along.

I don't know if you'll be giving yourself enough time. There are just so many places to see.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:43 PM

545 posts, read 1,800,112 times
I think that will be a nice road trip for you. I liked Hilton Head Island quite a bit although the last time i went in 2000, it was very busy. Ive always wanted to do those Outer Islands of North Carolina as i hear its beautiful and historic . Bar Harbor sounds good and i know some people who loved it. You can take the Ferry over to Nova Scotia from Bar Harbour and tour it. Youll have some nice lobster in Maine. Enjoy and post your results.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,970,506 times
Some must-see places in New England:

Rhode Island
Newport (if you're coming from the west, it's nice to drive through Narragansett and then cross the bridge to Jamestown (which is a lovely place to explore) and then cross the next bridge to Newport)
Wickford

Massachusetts
Boston
Salem
Ipswich
Newburyport

New Hampshire
Portsmouth
The Lakes Region (if you can, check out Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough as well as Meredith and Sandwich)
White Mountains (especially route 112 between Lincoln and Conway, and the Mt. Washington auto road)

Maine
Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth
Wiscasset
Damariscotta
Pemaquid Point
Camden (drive up Mt. Battie for an incredible view)
Acadia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or