Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 AM

27,044 posts, read 13,303,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Thanks for posting the link. It is an interesting article

I was in Rome years ago and saw some of what the article references. Rome seems to have issues with garbage collection for a long time. However, from what I saw, Rome is not that much worse than cities like Paris or Chicago, or even some parts of London.

For example, the garbage mentioned around the Church of St. Peter in Chains, is something I noticed when I was there. The Church itself if amazing, with a statue of Moses by Michelangelo yet the courtyard right outside the front door was full of garbage.

I did think that Rome did a better job at some of the more popular areas, like the Colosseum and the Forum.
Naples had a similar problem a few years back but that was mainly to do with the Italian Mafia controlling the litter collections or as they liked to call it waste management, which if I recall was Tony Sopranos official job title.

Naples waste crisis: Italy may use army against mafia - BBC News

Mafia, toxic waste and a deadly cover up in an Italian paradise: 'They've poisoned our land and stolen our children' - The Telegraph

In terms of London, but very careful about dropping even the tinest piece of litter, as the couincils often employ private companies on vast commisons, who immediately demand your details ir they get the police. It's the same with dog fouling.

'Litter police' get bonuses to target public, Panorama finds - BBC News

Litter 'police' paid bonuses to hand out fines to public, investigation finds - The Telegraph

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 09:55 AM

5,240 posts, read 3,588,763 times
I've been to Rome, again, in the last 10 years & honestly have no memories of unusual piles of garbage. I'm not saying it isn't there but large cities always have some issues & I didn't notice that too much or perhaps didn't visit the areas where it is overwhelming the touristic experience. Then again I live in a (relatively clean - to me) city & have vacationed in places like India & the Philippines where litter & garbage are genuine issues.

Cities are living, changing places where everyday work & life carries on despite being around historic places. Traffic, crowding, immigration, garbage, graffiti & tourist traps for the naive & inexperienced are there but to be expected I think. I've heard that Naples does indeed have a real waste disposal problem but have never visited. I know that Lisbon's graffiti was actually an interesting aspect by itself & that they seem to be capitalizing on it by encouraging real street art.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,093,725 times
I was in Rome 6 years ago and saw none of this. I went in early May so maybe that had something to do with it. I rarely travel during high season.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,252,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Cities are living, changing places where everyday work & life carries on despite being around historic places. Traffic, crowding, immigration, garbage, graffiti & tourist traps for the naive & inexperienced are there but to be expected I think. I've heard that Naples does indeed have a real waste disposal problem but have never visited. I know that Lisbon's graffiti was actually an interesting aspect by itself & that they seem to be capitalizing on it by encouraging real street art.
I agree with this perspective- last year I was in India and Nepal. This was an organized tour but I'd been there on business a half-dozen times so I knew that in addition to the beautiful hotels (at reasonable prices), fantastic food and gracious people, I'd encounter sights and smells that weren't pleasant. I could write a book solely on the subject of how women are doing there (lots of good news but lots to be done). It's why I travel- to get away from the familiar and to learn.

Interesting that a comment on the Disney thread applies here.

Quote:
Otoh I had a coworker who lived for almost annual visits with his family, he thought it was a fantastic vacation. He didn't have a passport & no interest in ever getting one. Euro-Land, or whatever that curated & corporatized travel-simulation confection is called is all he ever wants to know about the world beyond borders. Different strokes....
So, there's always Disney for those who want comfort and predictability!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,968,183 times
Quote:
I've been to Rome, again, in the last 10 years & honestly have no memories of unusual piles of garbage. I'm not saying it isn't there but large cities always have some issues & I didn't notice that too much or perhaps didn't visit the areas where it is overwhelming the touristic experience. Then again I live in a (relatively clean - to me) city & have vacationed in places like India & the Philippines where litter & garbage are genuine issues.

I was in Rome for around a week just a few months ago. It had the usual occasional mess and chaos- including a few overfull garbage and recycling containers- that you'd expect from a big bustling city but it was hardly a "dump". There were also plenty of quiet, leafy streets, pleasant parks, and beautiful plazas.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,555,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
My daughter and her husband went to Rome when they were stationed in England back in 2007. She said it was dirty back then. No thank you.
I'm not sure what you mean by "No thank you." Surely most people don't choose vacation destinations mainly on the basis of cleanliness. If that were the case, no one would ever go to New York City.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:35 PM

3,200 posts, read 2,403,981 times
I will echo that I saw no difference in trash than many cities in the US. Yes,in most of Europe, graffiti seems to be a concern and it is no indication of neighborhood like here in the US, but Italy is perhaps my favorite country. We have been there 4 times, 2 cruises and 2 land trips.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:56 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,022,019 times
Thanks to the abundance of information on internet and cheaper airfares, travel is more accessible than ever. This is mostly a good thing, but some places are going to feel that surge. Has anyone ever been to Barcelona or Dubrovnik or Venice and forget to check the schedule for ships that day? The sheer masses of choke the streets.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,910,362 times
My son and I were in Rome just this past September. Other than Ubering in from the airport and an Uber to the Vatican, we walked all around the city taking in the sights. I didn't notice anything like the kinds of trash & filth the article refers to. We stayed near the Trevi Fountain and, to be sure, the crowds were insane and there were a few street vendors selling souvenirs just like they sell miniature Eiffel Towers near the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Other than that, the only thing that I found a bit strange were the Jeeps every couple blocks with the machine gun toting soldiers standing watch. I guess if I were from some little town in Nebraska I might have been stunned by the realities of a big city, but I live in Los Angeles. I can see more homeless tent encampments and trash simply driving down to the beach than I did in several weeks in Europe.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:46 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,497,001 times
https://thepointsguy.com/news/why-is...ning-in-trash/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel