U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:40 PM

3,295 posts, read 1,562,436 times

Advertisements

we did like a 3 week vacation, but only after taking it.
anything under 7 is not worth the effort.
10-12 days is the sweet spot, especially since we go twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:16 AM

3,598 posts, read 1,527,009 times
I agree that it depends on the person and how far away the destination is. For me personally, 10 days is good.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I agree that it depends on the person and how far away the destination is. For me personally, 10 days is good.
and what your objectives are.

ranch / backpacking / trekking / mountain climbing / raft trips (when you are bringing all the gear...)

or / bop-in-and-out of a city and catch a few sites...

Such as LV (LAS)... I see it on arrival and departure (schedule flights so I can enjoy the stuff I am interested in.. but most of my time around LV is adventure touring UT NP, Valley of Fire, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Lake Mead...

1 hr on the Strip + a discount buffet is adequate coming and going, or take in a show just before a midnight flight.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
not for OP, but for the million other readers...
on that theme.. "midnight flight."... / over-night transportation = MORE vacation!

Very common in other cultures to do traveling (motion to / from destination) during overnight (buses, trains, planes, ferries) to give you an extra day VACATION on each end of the trip.

I so appreciate the recent flight schedule changes to Asia that allows me to leave USA at 10PM and after 17 hrs flying... arrive in Asia at 8AM, ready for a fresh and complete day of action. Coming back to USA... have an entire day of activity... grab a great meal... and Leave Asia at 10PM, (16 hrs flying) arrive USA at 10 PM (same day). No jet lag / wasted daylight sitting in airports either direction!

While living in Europe, the daily passes on Train started at 10pm and ran 26 hrs (midnight the next day). We would travel past many of our desired stops throughout the night while sleeping... (except for the several border crossings / passport need pre-EU) then arrive in AM at the furthest destination... do trekking, cities, and train trips through the next day (back towards departure point), then take train to a new destination by midnight.

I do similar on road trips.. (Drive the non-scenery stuff through the night (NV, UT, WY, MT, ND, SD, NE, IA...)). I can take a quick nap at sunrise, or during the day to keep alert / engaged. With kids, we would stop at community pools during afternoons and they would swim while I napped.

Several friends with families would travel overnight & book 4 hrs at hotel with pool during the day. (discounted rates)
kids swim, driver sleeps.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:04 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,310,666 times
Last summer, I took a 16-day trip to Italy and had an amazing time. I stayed on the Amalfi Coast in an angriturismo, which is like an Italian farm and enjoyed some of the best food Ive ever had and drank an inordinate amount of wine.

I also went to Rome and Naples during this vacation as well and while I had an absolutely glorious visit and time....by day 16, I was READY TO COME home. Like, my bag was packed the night before.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:23 PM

5,937 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
not for OP, but for the million other readers...
on that theme.. "midnight flight."... / over-night transportation = MORE vacation!
Yep, when going to Asia we used to always leave Friday night after work. Takes more advantage of your time, makes it easier to sleep on the plane, and arrive during the day.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:38 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,527,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and what your objectives are.

ranch / backpacking / trekking / mountain climbing / raft trips (when you are bringing all the gear...)

or / bop-in-and-out of a city and catch a few sites...

Such as LV (LAS)... I see it on arrival and departure (schedule flights so I can enjoy the stuff I am interested in.. but most of my time around LV is adventure touring UT NP, Valley of Fire, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Lake Mead...

1 hr on the Strip + a discount buffet is adequate coming and going, or take in a show just before a midnight flight.
I live in the Charlotte area. If I go somewhere like Charleston, Savannah, or Chicago, 5 days is enough for my wife and me to see and do all we want and not have to rush. If we got to Orlando, LA, DC, or NYC, we like 10 days. We have a couple of kick-back-and-relax days at the pool, movies, or something to just not have to look at the clock. Doing it this way keeps us from having the "I need a vacation from the vacation" syndrome after we get back home, lol.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 PM

6,563 posts, read 3,662,092 times
On a major trip, like overseas or an extended US trip, I will usually go for ten days at a minimum. Some places have weekend events that are unique to that location so I try not to travel on weekends and two weekends is pretty good. Two weeks away starts to get a bit long. I tend to become reclusive on return from a long vacation and hunker down for a few weeks at home so I take more 3-4 day trips than long trips.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 PM

29 posts, read 7,196 times
Great article about vacation days. I think two weeks are enough to enjoy trip.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM

7,729 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Split it between seeing all the sights and just living a normal life, usually throwing in some shorter road trips to other nearby locations. Wife signs up at the gym for yoga classes, I join some language exchanges. Shop at the local markets to cook at home, go to events at the parks, volunteer, etc.

Some people leave flexibility in their plans so really don't know how long they'll be somewhere.
I couldn't travel that way. I think I'd just want to go home and sleep in my own bed. I've only left flexibility in my plans while visiting family. Both times I cut the vacation short due to extreme boredom and too much interrogation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or