U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 AM

22,348 posts, read 9,497,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
This article says eight days. A lot depends on where you're going in my opinion. Overseas I would want at least ten days. No matter where I go I want at least one day to recover when I get home. Two weeks is the absolute longest. What do you all think?
https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...acation-length
I did 10 days in 3 countries of Europe and felt rushed. We're doing 2 weeks and 2 countries this time, but there are few cities we want to check out in depth. Also, you don't really get all that time for vacationing--some days are really mostly travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM

4,431 posts, read 1,651,680 times
Quote:
This article says eight days. A lot depends on where you're going in my opinion. Overseas I would want at least ten days. No matter where I go I want at least one day to recover when I get home. Two weeks is the absolute longest. What do you all think?
https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...acation-length
6 weeks, IMO.

One week full rest before the 4 weeks trip begins - another full week rest after coming back home.
And then - back to work.

Would be nice to have this happening every six months.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:10 AM

50 posts, read 23,340 times
I think it depends on the point of the vacation, the destination, and who you're traveling with.

Vegas? Three days MAX, any more and it's too draining being harassed 24/7 about blowing money and seeing has been's on stage.

A trip to Disney with the kiddos? 7-10 is just about right. That way you have plenty of time to see everything, and ride as much as possible, and still see out of the way stuff like Old Town and the mermaid springs and the alligator farms.

Beach stay? We usually go down to the Gulf and rent a beachside cottage and do nothing. I literally mean nothing. We rarely turn the tv on, and just be beach bums for a few days. Stock up on groceries before check in, and don't have to leave peace for a little while, lol.

Overseas, absolutely need 2-4 weeks or more depending on location and desires while on the trip.

We try to take a mini Spring Break trip to the Smokies or Branson, or somewhere else close and full of nature, usually only 4 days or so.

Summer is too busy for vacation with the crops and cows, so it's a no go, but a day trip to LBL is occasionally nice.

Fall is when we take a vacation, and usually a warm climate. We love Gulf Shores area (my sister is in Mobile, so we visit her as well); and spend a solid week.

But any more than a week, we get antsy to get home and putter around on the farm, lol.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:22 PM

4,423 posts, read 4,072,965 times
3-5 days for me, I just like to get it all in at once. I hate going on vacations to just rest, as I can rest in my own bed at home

Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
3-5 days for me, I just like to get it all in at once. I hate going on vacations to just rest, as I can rest in my own bed at home
I agree. Going on vacations to rest sounds awful. For me spending days on a beach would be boring. I don't like being too rushed though. There is a happy medium. This summer I spent time at a friend's cabin. We didn't do squat. If I'm going to sit around I'd rather have air conditioning, Internet, and TV.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,639 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
I agree. Going on vacations to rest sounds awful. ...
OTOH...
THIS (below) sounds dreadfully awful to me.
No matter where I go I want at least ONE DAY to recover when I get home. Two weeks is the absolute longest. What do you all think?

I have (had) only 38 days vacation time at last job... I would not have considered giving them back a "pre-work" day of vacation to 'rest up for work!!!'

One of my previous bosses did this, and always would ask..."Are you sure you are rested enough to work ?"(night-shift).

of course I am rested up enough to work!!! Rest is WHY I come to work! (Farmer by day, worker by night) .

Very stressful, very demanding (mentally and physically), but... work (and all of life) has always been a "piece of cake" compared to Dairy Farm Boarding School.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
OTOH...
THIS (below) sounds dreadfully awful to me.
No matter where I go I want at least ONE DAY to recover when I get home. Two weeks is the absolute longest. What do you all think?
Have you never had jet lag? It takes time to recover from that.

I have (had) only 38 days vacation time at last job... I would not have considered giving them back a "pre-work" day of vacation to 'rest up for work!!!':
Giving back a pre work day?..

One of my previous bosses did this, and always would ask..."Are you sure you are rested enough to work ?"(night-shift).

of course I am rested up enough to work!!! Rest is WHY I come to work! (Farmer by day, worker by night) .
This makes no sense. You work 24 hours a day? You rest at work??? Would you mind explaining this in English perhaps?

Very stressful, very demanding (mentally and physically), but... work (and all of life) has always been a "piece of cake" compared to Dairy Farm Boarding School.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,639 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Have you never had jet lag? It takes time to recover from that. I travel internationally and across time zones many times / yr (International worker since 1980's) Farmer since 1960's). I had jet lag the first couple trips, then I realized how costly that was (to my job, family, free time). I no longer have jet lag... adapt to the new time zone the minute you arrive - plan your transportation and days previous to avail that. (quite ez to do). Good use of time (airplanes, trains, buses are for SLEEPING!)

Giving back a pre work day?.. If you take 1 day of your vacation to REST up to go back to work.. you just lost a day of vacation (according to my math)

... Rest is WHY I come to work! (Farmer by day, worker by night) .
This makes no sense. You work 24 hours a day? You rest at work??? Would you mind explaining this in English perhaps? How about using math? (sorry... I'm an engineer by trade) 24 hrs in a day. 6 hrs is usually plenty for sleep = 18 hrs for 'other'. For the faint of heart... 8 hrs sleep still leaves 16 hrs.. Work for 8, have a short commute, eat on the road, take a shower on your lunch break (one of my jobs had a pool / exercise facility... That was nice!) the one in Asia also had a Canteen!, Eat, shower, swim and be ready for the next job! (all within 30 minutes.)

There are many of us who have always worked 2-3 jobs. It is our 'normal' schedule (we know no other way). I was talking with my 87 yo mom a few minutes ago... she is still churning 'flip-homes', doing a lot of the work herself (and firing a lot of inept contractors in the process.) She always worked 3 jobs.

I think back to HS when I was supporting my disabled dad... (pre-supporting my family + my dad)
2AM - 6AM cleaning a Dog Betting track
6AM - 8AM sleeping in my pickup camper ($75) in school parking lot
8AM - noon - Classes
1PM until 5 PM Job delivering furniture
6PM to 10 PM Job at a service station (busting truck tires)
10PM until 2am Sleeping in my pickup truck camper at the dog track

note: this is only 12 hrs WORK / day... that is better known as only working 1/2 day

I needed a vacation, so flew to LV for a weekend before starting a new job.

I am blessed... My Grandfather (farmer) took (2) vacations in 94 yrs. Longest was 4 days.

Many of my Asia co-workers live in a dorm in a foreign country and go see their families during their 10 days off / yr (including 4 days travel each direction). Some just send the travel money home and go home every 3-4 yrs. Many are married with kids, they will never get to watch grow up. (yes, many are MOM's in that situation)

We are blessed.

Jet lag? trivial. Get up and get going! (ez solution).

BTW:, I have (6) friends flying on 20+ hr commutes as we speak. (2 more leave tomorrow). I can imagine the results if they told their boss "We have Jet Lag"!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,166,365 times
For me personally, I'd say & this is at most:

- Just out of state: About 5-7 days

- International: About 9-14 days

Last edited by Forever Blue; 02-19-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,203,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I really want to live in another city for a few months, but I can't imagine constantly moving for a month or more.
I strongly want to do this as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or