U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:44 PM

21,505 posts, read 17,065,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Even the definition of "respect" can change drastically from one country to another. In India, if you are introduced to an elderly person, you have to pay respects to them by touching both of their feet. If you don't do this, then it is considered disrespectful and uncultured. It is a tradition that dates back millenia.

You really can't assume anything about a foreign culture you're unfamiliar with.
I’m not assuming anything about anyone’s culture. I am simply stating that everyone around the world whether here or any country does not uniformly treat every visitor with respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:35 PM

6,211 posts, read 3,031,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
It does depend on the third world country (the population). Vietnam may be considered “poor” but generally you are not going to have the same problems and risks as you would in Guatemala, Mexico or the Sudan.
Exactly this.

Generally speaking Asia is a lot less risky than Latin America or Africa. That's a big generalization I know and there are lots of exceptions, but I can't count how many times we've been walking home later at night in Asian cities on mostly deserted streets and we've mentioned to each other that we sure as hell wouldn't have been doing this in Colombia/Guatemala/Mexico/Namibia/etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 PM

232 posts, read 128,013 times
I visited and enjoyed Morocco, including taking a cross-country bus trip with the locals.

In Marrakesh, I was aggressively hassled several times but didn't really fear for my safety. The hasslers seemed more interested in having fun at my expense than doing damage. There were people begging in the streets who looked to be near death, that was startling. Once, when lost, I was politely but urgently warned not to enter a particular neighborhood, and I turned around and heeded the advice.

One thing I did (on advice from somewhere) was bring several boxes of pens. Handed them out a few at a time to poor kids on the street, who seemed beyond thrilled to have them. I used French for minor transactions when possible, made me feel like less of a target.

Very glad I visited Morocco, fascinating place, but it was sketchy in spots, for sure. Enjoy some goat's head soup.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 PM

708 posts, read 607,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Exactly this.

Generally speaking Asia is a lot less risky than Latin America or Africa. That's a big generalization I know and there are lots of exceptions, but I can't count how many times we've been walking home later at night in Asian cities on mostly deserted streets and we've mentioned to each other that we sure as hell wouldn't have been doing this in Colombia/Guatemala/Mexico/Namibia/etc.
Very true. Of course this doesn’t mean people should be reckless going out at night or off the beaten path by yourself. Safety in numbers and more safety in day than at night. There have been issues with western women going for a jog alone in some parts of Thailand or India. Even in safe areas in the U.S. especially women shouldn’t be jogging at night when no one is around (unless they are carrying concealed). There is no reason to risk it for a jog. Still the numbers in Asia and even the Indian subcontinent are much lower than when off the beaten path in Central America, the Caribbean, parts of Brazil and Africa. Bahamas is a big tourist destination but even Nassau is listed as the most dangerous cruise port. Usually the violence wouldn’t be so conspicuous in big tourist areas but I guess it’s getting bad.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:27 PM

708 posts, read 607,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
I visited and enjoyed Morocco, including taking a cross-country bus trip with the locals.

In Marrakesh, I was aggressively hassled several times but didn't really fear for my safety. The hasslers seemed more interested in having fun at my expense than doing damage. There were people begging in the streets who looked to be near death, that was startling. Once, when lost, I was politely but urgently warned not to enter a particular neighborhood, and I turned around and heeded the advice.

One thing I did (on advice from somewhere) was bring several boxes of pens. Handed them out a few at a time to poor kids on the street, who seemed beyond thrilled to have them. I used French for minor transactions when possible, made me feel like less of a target.

Very glad I visited Morocco, fascinating place, but it was sketchy in spots, for sure. Enjoy some goat's head soup.
And Morocco is a relatively safe country, one of the safest in Africa (if not safest) for tourists. All of the hassling I experienced was in jemma el fna but it wasn’t as bad as the grand bazaar. Everywhere else the people were pretty friendly despite the average salary being $200 a month. The two women killed recently while camping overnight on toubkal reminds us that even in Morocco near Marrakech we have to be careful. No reason not to go. It still has low crimes rates against tourists but the girls should have gone with a few westerners when camping overnight. Always safety in numbers. Things change so go when you can. Who knew Egypt and Venezuela would be a concern 15 years ago like it is today for tourists.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:33 PM

1,734 posts, read 2,217,739 times
We've been twice to the Philippines. I was approached by street vendors a lot. Bought something once from a guy and had 10 others gang up to sell me other stuff. Annoying but not dangerous.

I was approached by prostitutes several times in Cebu and once by a pimp there. Approached many times by cab drivers.

I made the mistake of going out at night to a store in a not great neighborhood in Manila. A guy approached me on the street about using his cab, then tried to get me to go have a beer with him, etc. I knew I was being set up. I bought him a beer at the 7-11 I went to and said have a good night. We switched hotels next day. We hadn't known this one was such a bad neighborhood. Filipinos we talked with later verified it was not a place to be.

As anywhere, careful about not going out at night in questionable locations, especially alone. Stick to main streets, no short cuts down alleys, etc. Try not to stand out with expensive clothes, etc.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:15 AM

4,826 posts, read 1,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Exactly this.

lol

Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 AM

17,631 posts, read 19,868,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Many major U.S. cities have big third world populations and the crime, violence and poverty that comes with them which is magnified by the welfare system that subsidizes and breeds it.
Unless you go on a "ghetto tour" where you are intentionally seeking out the low-income areas in U.S. cities, you will most likely not come across them.

This is very different from third world countries, where poor people often live right next to rich people and the poverty is widespread across most places in the country. Plus, third world poverty is on a whole other level than the poverty in the U.S.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 AM

21,505 posts, read 17,065,776 times
OP is not even asking about crime or safety. He's asking if he's going to be harassed by people wanting money or something else.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 PM

6,211 posts, read 3,031,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP is not even asking about crime or safety. He's asking if he's going to be harassed by people wanting money or something else.
From the OP:
"If I walk up and down the streets of third world countries will I be hassled, bothered or even attacked?"

Your definition of attack may be different than mine, but to me it fits under the crime and safety thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or