Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:18 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

In that sense, there reeally isn't any third world anymore, with its legions or urchins, beggars, cripples and con men.
Sounds like the parking lot at Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,869 times
I researched this question since posting it this morning. According to travelers on YOUTUBE, you are stared at constantly in rural Africa and huge groups of people will surround you and stare in Bangladesh. One traveler showed how he was approached 19 times in 30 minutes by con men, touts, beggars and fake guides while walking in a tourist zone in India.

(To the poster who said there is no Third World: If that is true why are so many Africans risking their lives going on small overcrowded boats to get to Europe?

Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
You sure will be.

In some such countries you will be hassled and scammed to high heaven by louts in the street. Also, in some such countries the begging situation is really bad, particularly very young kids that will hassle you to no end. Some better than others. Sure, it can also happen in many places in America, but not to the degree it does in other places. That may not be PC for some but that's how it goes.

https://www.mobal.com/blog/travel-ta...s-get-hassled/

Old 02-03-2019, 07:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Good grief, where do these ideas come from? We've never had any issues, respect is universally understood.
Maybe the OP's question is a bit exaggerated, but come on - you've never even heard of Westerners (or anyone with the appearance of having money) being inundated with children, beggars, and panhandlers? You're saying it never happens?

Rather than dismissing the question outright, how about some realistic and thoughtful answers of specific countries/cities/situations in which it is likely to occur?

Old 02-03-2019, 08:24 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
My understanding is that in some third world countries one may encounter touts, pushy panhandlers, or self-appointed tour guides who approach you with varying degrees of eagerness hoping to solicit your business or money.
I've run into the pushy tour guides at Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris and at the Parthenon in Athens. They may have been officially certified- I think both countries offer that credential- but they sure were aggressive. The would-be guides at Pere-Lachaise were helpless in telling me how to find the grave of Marie-Sophie Germain, who did groundbreaking work on Fermat's Last Theorem, although they were well-briefed on where to find Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, Abelard and Heloise, etc. In fairness, NO ONE can memorize every grave site at Pere Lachaise, but with my HS French and the help of someone in the cemetery office who looked up the info and marked a map for me, I found it.

Just a couple of data points agreeing with the observations others have made that touts are everywhere- but more prevalent in cities where people have few other ways to feed themselves and their families.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:26 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Okay let's look at some of the worst.

Someone already mentioned Bangladesh, the problem there is it's not much on tourist radar so folks that don't look like them are really interesting and they don't have the same sense of appropriateness for attentions. You put a blonde woman in many parts of Bangladesh and you'll have 20 local man standing in a group staring, following down the street, etc. They don't mean any harm it's just a new interesting thing for them, they've only seen on TV.

Some parts of Africa can be really bad for begging because they can be grabby. It's not like the person in Asia who's asking but not touching, I've had dudes in Namibia literally grabbing my arms and pulling on me to ask for money, it's quite annoying.

However "3rd world" is huge and it's hard to apply a standard to all of it. Generally speaking your average traveler in a 3rd world country will not have problems, just as a traveler arriving in Barcelona probably won't have problems either. They might get their wallet pickpocketed by the gang of Romani on the bus but that doesn't mean a question about Spain and lawlessness would be answered as yes people in Spain will rob you. It's a lot more nuanced than that.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:38 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe the OP's question is a bit exaggerated, but come on - you've never even heard of Westerners (or anyone with the appearance of having money) being inundated with children, beggars, and panhandlers? You're saying it never happens? :
Beggars, panhandlers and children, of course it happens. Some of the best are right here in the USA!

Old 02-03-2019, 08:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
There are lots of street urchins who need money to eat. They are generally polite and grateful. Help them.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:38 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious question View Post
If I walk up and down the streets of third world countries will I be hassled, bothered or even attacked? Will people stare at me and make getting around difficult?
If you spend enough time in a 3rd world country, there is no question that people will try to get money from you in different ways.

The owners of small stores and service shops will charge you 10 times what they charge the locals because you're a foreigner. Beggars are much more numerous and persistent. House servants will demand extra money from you - sometimes, hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

This is all par for the course. Some people know how to deal with it and some people don't.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:44 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
There are lots of street urchins who need money to eat. They are generally polite and grateful. Help them.
Not generally.

Many street urchins are ruthless and will hassle you nonstop both verbally and physically.

Not only that, but in some countries like the Philippines, it is actually against the law to give to beggars on the street. Many beggar kids in these places and also others like Thailand, are used by criminal elements to beg for money. So giving money to them is actually contributing to their abuse.

Sure, give them some food if people out there still insist on being a 'saviour' to these poor kids, but don't give them any money.

Giving money to child beggars: don't do it. Giving money to child beggars is the least generous thing a tourist can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel