Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:27 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You aren't fooling anyone.
LOL. That's very true.

People in third world countries can spot a foreigner from a mile away, even if you are ethnically related to them. It doesn't matter.

There's nothing much you can do to hide the fact that you're not one of them. It is extremely easy for them to tell. You are in their country, and that's enough for them to know you have money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There's nothing much you can do to hide the fact that you're not one of them. It is extremely easy for them to tell. You are in their country, and that's enough for them to know you have money.

Its true. Earlier I used to think all foreign visitors were rich. Now I know the truth after spending time in both worlds. Unless you are staying in those $300+ a night hotels, you are not rich. And also rich people dont spend time exploring 3rd world.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Rich & poor are relative terms. Anyone who can get up & travel across the world to visit some other country for pleasure would be considered rich by much of the world.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:06 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Its true. Earlier I used to think all foreign visitors were rich. Now I know the truth after spending time in both worlds. Unless you are staying in those $300+ a night hotels, you are not rich. And also rich people don't spend time exploring 3rd world.
That last statement is not true. Check out the prices for Overseas Adventure Travel, which I used for India and Nepal and which has tours to MANY developing countries. There are other tour companies catering to this group.

I know what people mean about tourists standing out, though. I was in a cathedral in Ghent with a group of local HS kids. One kept eyeing my sneakers and finally asked where I was from. My shoes gave me away!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious question View Post
I have traveled to most of the popular 1st world countries in Europe and Asia. They were nice but I want to expand my horizons and see the 3rd World. I want to see exotic and economically struggling countries where life is completely different than here in America.

My question is this: If I walk up and down the streets of third world countries will I be hassled, bothered or even attacked? Will people stare at me and make getting around difficult? Tell us your experiences traveling in third world countries.
You will probably be hassled, yes. Attacked, likely not.

I have always felt safe in the third world, but they do like to ask for money and a lot of them think that all white people are rich. I am specifically talking about Central America & SE Asia.

They will usually charge you a higher price for things than what they would charge a local. Walk away and eventually if they want your $$ bad enough, they'll come down on the price. I don't care if it's third world, charging foreigners a different price is BS and I refuse to pay that (no matter how cheap it is).

Sometimes people will send their cute kid to you to beg for $$ in hope that you find the kid so adorable you will give it to them. If you give to one kid, usually not far behind, you will find a swarm of more kids coming. It's best not to give at all, no matter how cute they are or how bad you feel. If you must give, it is suggested to give items like crayons or coloring books.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've walked all over Kampala, Uganda and never felt unsafe. I wouldn't dare do that in NYC or Chicago or LA.
Facts

Old 02-04-2019, 02:15 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
LOL. That's very true.

People in third world countries can spot a foreigner from a mile away, even if you are ethnically related to them. It doesn't matter.

True..The Dominican Republic in my case..it's interesting because other tourists thought I was Dominican but the locals knew lol.

I, for the most part wasn't hassled for change or charged extra for beers BUT when the vendors, motoconcho drivers and some storekeepers are aggressive, I just tell them a firm but polite, "no gracias".

No matter where you are, 1st, second third world, it's crucial to be on point and carry yourself with authority, but always be respectful. Folks are smart and know how to hustle for those dollars.

Last edited by Gil3; 02-04-2019 at 02:28 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 02:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious question View Post
My question is this: If I walk up and down the streets of third world countries will I be hassled, bothered or even attacked? Will people stare at me and make getting around difficult? Tell us your experiences traveling in third world countries.
It depends on where you go. There is a lot of poverty and you will be close to it in some countries, and you may be approached for money. But being attacked? No.

The scariest country I have been in was Honduras but it had little to do with poverty. There are (or were) lots and lots of guns in the country from America's proxy war with El Salvador. It was downright unsafe to walk the streets at night in most towns. We did, not knowing, and were told by locals not to do that but to take a taxi everywhere. Caracas was almost as scary.

The most trouble I have had in many countries are "touts" who are aggressively trying to drum up business, often for taxis and tours. They will try to swarm you at airports and train stations, sometimes offering to carry your bag. You have to not talk to them and just firmly walk away, and never, ever let someone "help" you by carrying your stuff. Read up ahead of time on where to find official taxis and go there. The worst thing to do is to look lost or uncertain, the touts pick up on that and will be all over you. Just act like you know where you're going and ignore them and they'll go bother someone else.

Streets in many poor countries are full of kids begging. You shouldn't give them money but I often did. Just don't ever pull out a wallet to do so. Keep spare change in a pocket.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
LOL. That's very true.

Not true in Shanghai.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I was in India and Nepal last year and I agree with this. I was on a group tour but we encountered a lot of gritty reality since we frequently took motor rickshaws, bicycle rickshaws, visited landmarks such as the ghats at Varanasi, etc. It was typically vendors more than beggars but we had both. They follow you, they speak good English (many seemed to have learned the phrase, "you're breaking my heart" when you say No) and some keep lowering the price of an item. Keep saying No, keep going. And one well-meaning coworker years ago haded money to a beggar in India and she was swarmed by so many more the police had to intervene.

I kept it in perspective by reminding myself of what a friend from India once said: "In India if you don't work, you don't eat". This type of hustling is taught early. It's a survival tactic. One woman selling postcards bore the obvious scars of an acid attack. (We went to the SheRoes cafe in Agra, which was run by women who had had acid poured on their faces for such offenses as bearing only girl babies.)

I LOVED that trip. I'd rather go to India than experience the sanitized plastic of Disney any day. (I'd already been there a half dozen times on business- it tells you something that I went back as a tourist.) It makes you realize how average people live elsewhere, how blessed you are, it opens your mind. It's still not for everyone.
I would never waste my money or vacation time visiting a place LESS nice than the area I live in. Why do we continue to be fascinated by the 3rd world, as much as they are fascinated by the 1st world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel