Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,536,127 times

Advertisements

Oh, so sad.

Rome in Ruins
Some worry that the city is in danger of becoming a dump. Not a “rubbish heap of history,” or a precious junkyard of antiquities, but an actual garbage dump.

“It’s so much worse because the city is so stunning”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/t...ion-trash.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,611,966 times
Thanks for posting the link. It is an interesting article

I was in Rome years ago and saw some of what the article references. Rome seems to have issues with garbage collection for a long time. However, from what I saw, Rome is not that much worse than cities like Paris or Chicago, or even some parts of London.

For example, the garbage mentioned around the Church of St. Peter in Chains, is something I noticed when I was there. The Church itself if amazing, with a statue of Moses by Michelangelo yet the courtyard right outside the front door was full of garbage.

I did think that Rome did a better job at some of the more popular areas, like the Colosseum and the Forum.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 PM

5,537 posts, read 6,455,250 times
My daughter and her husband went to Rome when they were stationed in England back in 2007. She said it was dirty back then. No thank you.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:06 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,360,724 times
The article seems a little exaggerated. I lived in Rome for 4 months in 2007, and visited it again in 2015, and I didn't see any big change in garbage or graffiti during that time. Yes, there are some buildings covered with graffiti around Termini and in other neighborhoods, and Rome isn't the best with garbage collection. However, they're taking the least photogenic areas they could find and attempting to portray the whole city being like this...it's a little sensationalized, IMO. You can go to any major US city and find neighborhoods that look like this or worse.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:59 AM

985 posts, read 1,008,953 times
I visited in 2015 and didn't find it to be any more dirty than comparable large cities. What I disliked, however, was how insanely crowded it was with tourists even in late October long after the peak season had ended. My wife and I had previously visited in the summer of 2004, and although it was surely crowded then, the crowds were noticeably larger 11 years later.

Rome has some amazing attractions in it and it's a bucket list destination for sure, but honestly I don't love the overall experience of visiting. Way too many people, terrible traffic, and lots of annoying panhandlers in the tourist spots. I have spent a total of 10 days there and I think I've seen enough.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:17 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,249,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Rome has some amazing attractions in it and it's a bucket list destination for sure, but honestly I don't love the overall experience of visiting. Way too many people, terrible traffic, and lots of annoying panhandlers in the tourist spots. I have spent a total of 10 days there and I think I've seen enough.
Sadly, this is true of many "bucket list" destinations. DH and I were in Paris in 2013 and the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay were jammed. We were well aware that we were tourists just like all the other people crammed into the places, but it was hard to enjoy the exhibits. We later went to an exhibit of Slovenian Impressionist paintings in a smaller museum and it was delightful (who knew there were Slovenian Impressionists?). I was in Paris for 2 days in October and mostly wandered and visited a couple of smaller museums. Stayed out of sidewalk cafes (9 Euros for onion soup?) and picked up food from local stores. Loved it.

I'm sure that most of these large cities are overwhelmed by tourists (and their trash) yet I can see what the tourists flock there to see the rare and beautiful things they don't see at home.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:17 PM

985 posts, read 1,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm sure that most of these large cities are overwhelmed by tourists (and their trash) yet I can see what the tourists flock there to see the rare and beautiful things they don't see at home.

Yes absolutely Athena. I am very glad that we had the good fortune to be able to see in person sights as famous and incredible as Vatican City and the Colosseum, and I'd never discourage someone who was considering a first visit to Rome. And your other point is very well taken too - it's not just Rome. I'm very happy that I was able to see the Mona Lisa in person 14 years ago, but I have no interest in battling hordes of tourists to see it again.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:14 PM

16,063 posts, read 10,640,541 times
I've been there a couple times. It's old, but at the same time it was as clean or cleaner than many places in the US.
Given the usual population and the hordes of tourists, I don't even recall being conscious of it being dirty. It is crowded at the tourist spots. I particularly regret going to see the Sistine Chapel in the huge mass of hundreds of people. Rome also isn't particularly ADA compliant so bear that in mind if you have any mobility issues.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:19 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,938,373 times
the stray dogs in Rome is something we will always remember.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:51 PM

11,768 posts, read 11,981,645 times
I've been to Rome 3 times in the past 5 years and I have yet to see the garbage issues mentioned. The crowds are a little intolerable at times but only if you're at the major sites. If you go out at dawn, there are no crowds and the light and colours are breathtaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel