U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 PM

9,514 posts, read 7,210,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What is next after that - Times Beach, Love Canal, and the Hanford Site?

Times Beach is a state park now. https://mostateparks.com/page/54997/general-information

Chernobyl is considered safe, other than the reactor, for limited exposure. I don't think I'd spend the kind of money it would take just to see it.. But if I were in the area..

There's people there who refused to evacuate. Supposedly no greater health problems than the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 AM

6,108 posts, read 2,970,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
God, no. How sad. Why would anyone want to go to some place where there was and still is so much devastation - as a tourist.
You should visit Hiroshima, great museum there. How about the USS Arizona Monument at Pearl Harbor? Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland is definitely worth the visit. I've heard the Mt Vesuvius Pompei dealie is fascinating but have never been. Battlefield at Gettysburg, thousands of casualties. We've been to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum twice now, 15 years apart.

You go as a tourist to learn history, see interesting things, and pay respect.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 AM

3,574 posts, read 2,085,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was on a website recently, where you upload photo's of some place you've recently traveled to and someone uploaded almost 50 photo's of his tour of Chernobyl. Oh my God! Absolutely fascinating and so eerie at the same time! Abandoned apartment buildings, schools, houses, all falling apart. It was all fascinating enough to where you almost want to get in a plane and go over there and see it for yourself.

Anyone been there or wish to go there?
you want to go somewhere where there is known radiation? really?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 AM

630 posts, read 276,100 times
We would love to go. Crowds...what crowds? To actually see a place like that, without being rushed and the opportunity to take hauntingly beautiful pictures without anyone around. Especially that amusement park...

Read about the history of the place and saw a few specials about it. Also a horror movie. Now that was a great idea, with the radiation monsters and stuff haha...

But yea, given the opportunity, we would have our bags already packed waiting to leave!!!

Old 02-12-2019, 06:12 AM

9,126 posts, read 8,526,116 times
I have no interest. Radiation aside, I can see crumbling buildings elsewhere. I don’t see the attraction.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM

9,802 posts, read 15,033,831 times
Chernobyl is very popular for street racing with sports cars, race cars and motorcycles.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:27 AM

2,326 posts, read 814,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have no interest. Radiation aside, I can see crumbling buildings elsewhere. I don’t see the attraction.
I think you have to be a bit of a science and engineering geek. I used to watch the TV series on what happens after people desert an area ("Land after People"?). Some would be speculation about how an area would degrade over time (e.g. Las Vegas), what would happen to the critters, how soon nature takes over. They would also show areas that HAD been abandoned and explain the results. I believe they may have covered Pripyat in one show.

It's kind of reassuring to see that Nature takes over eventually no matter what humans have done.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,103,312 times
I saw this series as well. It was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I think you have to be a bit of a science and engineering geek. I used to watch the TV series on what happens after people desert an area ("Land after People"?). Some would be speculation about how an area would degrade over time (e.g. Las Vegas), what would happen to the critters, how soon nature takes over. They would also show areas that HAD been abandoned and explain the results. I believe they may have covered Pripyat in one show.

It's kind of reassuring to see that Nature takes over eventually no matter what humans have done.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:32 AM

9,669 posts, read 13,560,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
God, no. How sad. Why would anyone want to go to some place where there was and still is so much devastation - as a tourist. It seems insulting to the people who are there living this tragedy. I guess the only upside would be if it helped their economy. But, to go as a tourist to witness someone's tragedy? That seems kind of sick to me.
It's curiosity more than anything. It's like North Korea … people are curious about it.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:33 AM

9,669 posts, read 13,560,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Times Beach is a state park now. https://mostateparks.com/page/54997/general-information

Chernobyl is considered safe, other than the reactor, for limited exposure. I don't think I'd spend the kind of money it would take just to see it.. But if I were in the area..

There's people there who refused to evacuate. Supposedly no greater health problems than the general population.
Yes. Anthony Bourdain meets a man still living there on the episode about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or