U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:11 PM

17,887 posts, read 4,241,253 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to go to Chernobyl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 AM

50 posts, read 24,589 times
I would love to go there eventually. Such History and lessons to be learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
God, no. How sad. Why would anyone want to go to some place where there was and still is so much devastation - as a tourist. It seems insulting to the people who are there living this tragedy. I guess the only upside would be if it helped their economy. But, to go as a tourist to witness someone's tragedy? That seems kind of sick to me.
No different than Pearl Harbor, the Nazi concentration camps, Gettysburg, etc...

Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,261,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
God, no. How sad. Why would anyone want to go to some place where there was and still is so much devastation - as a tourist. It seems insulting to the people who are there living this tragedy. I guess the only upside would be if it helped their economy. But, to go as a tourist to witness someone's tragedy? That seems kind of sick to me.
Actually, no one is living there right now and people who have suffered from radiation have sadly died long ago. Is it even possible to visit Chernobyl? It might be very expensive. I would like to go one day just to see the place that just clearly demonstrated the failure of the Soviet system.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:36 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,261,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
if it was reasonable...yes, we would go.
but $5K (roundtrip) is not in our budget.
the tour, however, is reasonable. link:
https://thriftynomads.com/how-to-visit-chernobyl/
Sounds like a reasonable detour when visiting Ukraine and staying in Kiev. I hope that pesky undeclared state of hostilities with Russia will be over soon.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:45 PM

9,605 posts, read 7,277,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Actually, no one is living there right now and people who have suffered from radiation have sadly died long ago. Is it even possible to visit Chernobyl? It might be very expensive. I would like to go one day just to see the place that just clearly demonstrated the failure of the Soviet system.

As we mentioned earlier on in this topic, there are people living there, people who refused to evacuate, or returned shortly afterwards

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-04-26/30-years-after-chernobyl-these-ukrainian-babushkas-are-still-living-their-toxic

Not in Pripyat itself, but still in the exclusion zone.

Last edited by Labonte18; 02-14-2019 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 12:30 PM

6,186 posts, read 3,009,450 times
We just went to Chernobyl on a whim since in northern part of Ukraine. To clear up some stuff from this thread:

1. No, you don't glow. The radiation is at safe levels, you're even required to wear some device on your neck so they can measure your exposure from enter to exit of exclusion zone, and apparently it's less than most people get on their flight over. You are advised not to put anything on the ground.

2. There is no creepy music piped in.

3. There are hot spots, and the guides know where they are. It's usually around drainage areas, although highest one we saw was when people would hold geiger counters up the underside of the ferris wheel cars. Also when driving through the Red Forest there is a point where everyone's geiger counters goes alarm at once, it last for about ten seconds, then fades back away.

4. You must go through two checks on the way out (10km exclusion zone and 30km exclusion zone) to confirm you aren't hot. They use these machines you step into and put your hands on the sides, if you're clear the gate opens and you're done. No idea what happens if you aren't.

5. You can get really close to the big containment arch structure over the former reactor, close enough to hear the robots in there working to dismantle the former concrete containment structure that was built over it right after accident.

6. The town of Pripyat is indeed surreal. Anything with a hint of former humanity is fascinating in that aspect, be it a shopping cart or a child's doll. Weird stuff.

7. There are people living in the exclusion zone, but in Chernobyl town not Pripyat. Most of the people living in the area are workers involved in dismantling, but there are some residents who returned. It's obvious by which houses are cared for versus have trees growing through the roofs.

8. Most people we talked to were there because of some TV show that came out recently and got popular. I don't know what this TV show is but it seems to be driving tourism to the site up lately. It's still pretty scarce though, for most of the time our small group didn't encounter others so no problems taking pictures or exploring without mobs around. Most importantly, it's no on the Chinese tourist radar yet.

First pic is the containment dome over the reactor, the rest are from in Pripyat.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 24 days ago)

12,713 posts, read 6,573,612 times
I'm sure its fascinating in its own way. I, however, have no desire to step foot there. Ever.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:10 PM

529 posts, read 380,284 times
A friend was just there, and its for sure on my list.

Dark Tourist on netflix might have boosted its recent popularity...

They're planning on distilling vodka there...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/atomik-...any-radiation/

Old 08-12-2019, 07:08 PM

5,470 posts, read 3,422,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The radiation is at safe levels, you're even required to wear some device on your neck so they can measure your exposure from enter to exit of exclusion zone, and apparently it's less than most people get on their flight over.
A radiation dosimeter.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM

9,693 posts, read 13,612,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
What I remember most from that is that although it is deserted & derelict there is music piped in everywhere. A very eerie & surreal feature.

But no, Chernobyl isn't on my bucket list.
There is one man that actually still lives there … never left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or