U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:54 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,875,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
CheapoAir may not pay a commission to travel agents so an agent may not deal with them or may charge a separate fee. You should be able to get an idea of the costs of other routings on the mainstream airlines by using Expedia.
The airline for the trip to JFK said that Cheapo was the travel agent. On the online booking certain information about the travelers was asked for. All had a red * as being required except for one word. One member of our group did not make an entry in one space that was not marked with the red * and it was their middle name.
An email was received saying there had been a schedule change. As it turned out the change was one flight was leaving 1 minute earlier and arriving 1 minute earlier. The travel agent noticed that middle name had not been entered on the form for traveler information. They offered two solutions. Cancel and pay a $650 cancel fee and re-book. Or let their "waiver" department contact the airline and try to get them to allow a name correction. If the agent was successful in getting the name correction (adding middle name) their fee was $400. She (passenger) called the international carrier and only spoke to call center agent since it was Sunday. They said middle name is optional but they could not change the name on the booking because another airline was involved. That airline which would take us to NY is Jet Blue and there is no middle name required on domestic flights. The travel agent said the passenger would not be allowed on the international carrier in NY due to name on ticket not matching name on passport. I went back and placed a test booking and sure enough there is a short note about full name being required. A tiny icon led to details that referred to TSA. The rest of us put our middle name on the booking. The other has her first and last name on the ticket and full name on passport and middle initial on their government ID. This agent looks to be trying to trick, fool, embezzle $400 or $650 more.

What do you international travelers say about middle name being required on the ticket or you do not fly.

The agent said it was airline carrier specific or airline industry requirement for international travel. Needless to say she was very upset about the prospects of not being allowed on the international flight. There is a long layover at JFK of several hours to try to speak to both carriers as well as TSA if needed to straighten out this issue and whether this agency is trying to scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 07:05 AM

2,120 posts, read 727,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The airline for the trip to JFK said that Cheapo was the travel agent.
Sorry- my mistake. I'd never used them but it's clear form your post and others that they're a travel agent and not an airline.

Quote:
What do you international travelers say about middle name being required on the ticket or you do not fly?

The agent said it was airline carrier specific or airline industry requirement for international travel.
I travel internationally a lot (once had to send in my passport to add more pages, which they don't do anymore). Last year it was England, Scotland, India, Nepal and France. The year before it was Iceland, Greenland, Panama and Costa Rica. My passport has my middle name and I almost never enter my middle name when booking tickets. Never had a problem although I don't have any experience with any of the low-cost carriers. Maybe they're different? Or, as you said, maybe they're trying to extort money. Check directly with the airline.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:13 AM

5,969 posts, read 2,903,874 times
I think she'll be fine, I've seen so many variations from different booking sources where some just ask first/last others specifically have middle name slot, others say given names with an example showing first+middle in the same slot, some with initial, etc. and also different ways they mash them together on the ticket. Since there doesn't appear to be any industry-wide standardization I'm sure security and gate agents are used to variations and have some reasonable discretion on flexibility. Your friend is just trying to prove that she, with same first/last/passport/birthdate, is the person who booked with the middle name missing.

To take that further I'm a "junior" so have "JR" after my name on my passport. I never add it to my last name on a booking sites unless it's one that has the dropdown box for name suffix, yet have only had one issue in decades of intl travel when the checkin person in Japan didn't like the last name on the passport being slightly different. He went to get a supervisor who recognized it for what it was just a suffix and cleared it.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I think she'll be fine, I've seen so many variations from different booking sources where some just ask first/last others specifically have middle name slot, others say given names with an example showing first+middle in the same slot, some with initial, etc. and also different ways they mash them together on the ticket. Since there doesn't appear to be any industry-wide standardization I'm sure security and gate agents are used to variations and have some reasonable discretion on flexibility. Your friend is just trying to prove that she, with same first/last/passport/birthdate, is the person who booked with the middle name missing.
The airlines were early adaptors of computer technology because it make ticketing, scheduling, and pretty much everything easier for them. But the result is that you have a bunch of systems that still have roots in 1970s mainframe technology when hard drive storage space was dear and those systems have some fundamental incompatibilities with each other and use things like PNRs/passenger record locators in order to get enough of a match for different ticketing systems to be able to work with each other rather than soem sort of exact match.

I've got an Iberia Avios account. (Sometimes useful award currency and there are regular sales of Avios on Groupon Spain for a good discount) While there is a field for second surname with an Iberia Avios account because such things are a common Spanish naming convention, there is no middle name field. So a ticket I book through my Iberia account would never have my middle name on it because their system simply isn't set up that way. And then you get into the whole alliance partnership and code share, and how I can use my Iberia frequent flyer miles to book onto flights operated by American Airlines or Qantas or JAL or Royal Air Maroc and any of those airlines will take that ticket that was sold to me by Iberia and let me onto a flight operated by a partner carrier even though my middle name isn't on the ticket because Iberia's not set up for middle names because the PNR is correct and I have a valid passport with first and last names that match the name on the ticket.

As for schedule changes, a few minutes here and there happen all the time. Longtime Delta flyers know that trying to book tickets on 'Schedule Change Saturday' can result in some weirdness like not being able to select seats because the airline makes changes on a live database that time of week. For a schedule change of less than an hour, the only time you ever have to do anything about it is for a multi-leg trip when you have a connection that would be shorter than what the airline calls its minimum legal connection time for that type of route and aircraft. I've got a flight booked right now that's had 5-6 different schedule changes that have resulted in a net change of a 3:30 connection going to 2:55 and no back up to around 3:15. The airline automatically keeps your reservation on the original flights in those conditions and most people never know about those minor schedule tweaks unless they're actively monitoring the ticket. Unless that one minute schedule change would put you under a minimum legal connection time, the airline does not want you to tie up their resources trying to fix a non-existent problem.

tldr; a travel agent trying to get hundreds out of you over a one minute schedule change is trying to scam you.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
tldr; a travel agent trying to get hundreds out of you over a one minute schedule change is trying to scam you.
They were trying to make money off the "so they said" need to correct the name to include middle name so the ticket would match the passport.
I think it is a TSA matter and they need to know full names etc. It's right there on the passport but not on the ticket.

Cheapo gave two possible solutions:
1. Cancel and pay $650 penalty and re-book.
2. Let us send this "matter" to our waiver department. If we can be successful in getting Qatar to make the name "correction" then our fee is $400. If we are unsuccessful then your best choice, if you want to be guaranteed to be let into the boarding area, is to cancel with $650 penalty and re-book.

They forgot option #3:
Do not cancel and do not "hire" their waiver department.

Last edited by howard555; 02-19-2019 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 04:22 PM

howard, have you considered contacting your airline directly? The 3rd party site should have given you a reservation and ticket number that your friend can use if you call their customer service department, if can get them to change the name then reprint the eticket with new info.

Free to try that.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
howard, have you considered contacting your airline directly? The 3rd party site should have given you a reservation and ticket number that your friend can use if you call their customer service department, if can get them to change the name then reprint the eticket with new info.

Free to try that.
I doubt very much that any airline will change the name on a ticket for free. Every once in awhile I see a frantic post on flyertalk_dot_com from someone who made reservations to fly somewhere on her honeymoon, used her married name, then realized that she wouldn't have any ID in that name. The airlines won't change the name but, at least in that case, if you bring some paperwork from the wedding, they'll let you on the plane.

The airline might, however, be able to reassure the passenger in the OP's case that the middle name is optional even if it's on the passport.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I doubt very much that any airline will change the name on a ticket for free.

I do not have the quote handy but I saw that if the airline makes a change over the phone or at the airport there is a $25 service fee. It's better to give them $25 than those other high fees quoted by the travel agent = Cheapo Air. A nice 8 hour layer at JFK so plenty of time to straighten it out. Jet Blue will actually be giving all boarding passes and all bags checked to the destination so I can not see how anyone is denied entrance to the boarding area.

I think the rule about complete name is related to TSA rules for international flights.
Very convenient for Cheapo to have left the red * off the middle name on their form.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 PM

OK, you got me curious so I went back to my Tripit app and checked which international reservations had my middle name. Tripit imports all the information directly from confirmation e-mails that I forward from airlines, hotels, etc. so it's exactly what's in their records.

American, Icelandic, Delta and BA- no middle name. Destinations included Toronto, Central America, Reykjavik, London and Delhi.
UA/Continental and Air France- middle name included. I took UA to Edinburgh and AF for Paris. It may have been a required field on those sites.

So- it does seem to be required by some airlines but was clearly not a problem when I entered and left the country using tickets for other airlines without my middle name but a passport that showed it. Best to check with the airlines involved.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I think the rule about complete name is related to TSA rules for international flights.
I was recently booking a flight on Norwegian Airlines and the airline's booking form reminded me of this thread.

There cannot be a TSA rule about complete name on ticket to match passport for international flights, because as Athena alluded to many airlines just don't have a space on their booking form to put in a middle name. The many passengers who fly out on Norwegian every day getting through TSA security in the process is proof enough.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or