U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:40 PM

1,360 posts, read 547,271 times

Advertisements

It is advisable to put your full name, including middle name, on your ticket even though most of the time you can get through even if you didn't do so.

And some airlines, like Finnair, also does not provide that middle name space to fill in. But in order to keep linking your mileage between different airlines, it is better to use a full name in every frequent flyer program. Most frequent flyer programs specify that the name on the ticket must match exactly the name of the frequent flyer.

IMO if there is a choice I prefer to use Expedia or Travelocity to direct booking on airline website. Here is the reason:

(1) Many Asian Airlines, i.e. JAL/KAL/CX, ask you to show your credit card which you used to book the ticket at airport when you check in. It is no problem if you check in yourself. But it is big problem if you buy it on behalf of your wife or your children and you don't fly with them.

(2) If you book an air ticket that does not depart from US/Canada, the airline website will route you to the website of their foreign office. But recently these foreign websites will require you to pay by credit card issued in that country. But if you use Expedia/Travelocity, you have no such problem.

(3) Sometimes the airline website does not sell you that itinerary. For example, I always fly HNL-->NRT-->ICN-->SIN. But on the KAL website, it only allows me one stopover. But Expedia can arrange such itinerary all by KAL.

(4) Codeshare flights are sold cheaper by Expedia. For example, I recently bought HNL-->BOS with stopover in SFO. The first leg is flown by Hawaiian Air and the second by JetBlue. Expedia, Hawaiiair and JetBlue all sell this itinerary but the cheapest is Expedia. There is no luggage problem with Hawaiian Air checking all the way to Boston. The only difference is the mileage is respectively accrued by two airlines instead of one.

Once I even cancelled my trip from Expedia within 48 hours from departure with full refund. But the only trustworthy is Expedia and Travelocity. Many other similar travel agent websites charge for change or cancellation within 24 hours of reservation but Expedia and Travelocity do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 05:53 PM

I don't think there is a problem with airline but maybe with TSA if you don't use your full name on the ticket.

Once I bought a UA ticket for my kid to fly from NYC to Bahamas. Because I logged on to her UA account to reserve the ticket so that all the blanks can be automatically filled in, only later did I find out that the ticket just had her middle initial instead of full middle name. (I think most frequent flyers also just put their middle initial or even without in their account).

Later I called UA reservation and she said there will be a fee for change in name on ticket. But they will let my kid board even if it is an international flight. Only the TSA guy is a little bit hesitant but no question asked.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:06 PM

The problem with long layover, especially that involves overnight stay, is you have to make sure the airport is opened 24 hours. Only a handful of airports in US, i.e. JFK and SEA, are opened 24 hours. For other airports, you will be cleared out of the facilities and stay outside with the homeless if you don't want to spend some bucks on motel. It is not a joyful experience if the weather is lousy.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:58 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,853,426 times
The airline is Qatar. On a weekend their call center person said middle name is not required but it was only a call center person. We have an 8 hour layover at JFK in which to solve any issues. The documents the person has is a passport with full name, ticket through a travel agency with no middle name, and driver's license with middle initial. We blame the travel agency for not notifying that middle name is required before we can book the flight. They appear to hope people leave the middle name out so they can suggest a cancel penalty of about 75% is paid and re-book.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:40 PM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
I recently bought a plane ticket to India through CheapoAir. It was $890 for one coach seat.

This price tag was considerably less than what I found on other sites.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:07 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
The problem with long layover, especially that involves overnight stay, is you have to make sure the airport is opened 24 hours. Only a handful of airports in US, i.e. JFK and SEA, are opened 24 hours. For other airports, you will be cleared out of the facilities and stay outside with the homeless if you don't want to spend some bucks on motel. It is not a joyful experience if the weather is lousy.
At CDG, Air France will tuck you in at the first-class sky-club, if you look truly needy, even though the airport is closed.

That's weird about major airports closing at night. I've had 2-am arrivals or departures at places like Bishkek and Darwin and Tbilisi.

On about 40 flights in recent years, to every continent, I've never seen a raised eyebrow over any of the ticketing issues described above. I hand the desk my passport, they're expecting me, they give it back with my boarding pass inside, and I sail through TSA. Nearly all through CheapO-air.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-04-2019 at 07:31 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 08:54 AM

3,149 posts, read 1,798,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I recently bought a plane ticket to India through CheapoAir. It was $890 for one coach seat.

This price tag was considerably less than what I found on other sites.
Including buying from the airline itself? Are you flying one airline or multiples?

Old 03-05-2019, 01:13 PM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Including buying from the airline itself? Are you flying one airline or multiples?
I'm flying Air India. I checked and yes, they charge more if you book directly for the same ticket.

That does happen sometimes, strangely enough.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:36 PM

3,149 posts, read 1,798,009 times
Quote:
I'm flying Air India. I checked and yes, they charge more if you book directly for the same ticket.

Weird. But that's the reality most of the time.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Its happens often for international flights especially for those departing within 24-48 hours. The price can fluctuate greatly within minutes. These are usually the unsold seats that the airlines want to get rid of but they don't want to do it via their own websites.

It is just like those hotels which try to get rid of their last rooms via Priceline and Hotwire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or