U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,853,426 times

Advertisements

The best prices we find are on Cheapo Air and not Expedia, etc. All paths lead back to Cheapo.
We have looked at a schedule but the shortest flight before heading over the ocean has a 9 hour layover at JFK even though there is probably a flight an hour leaving here for JFK. When we switch carriers to a Russian airline it gets us to NYC or Boston or Philadelphia on Jet Blue or American and layovers are good except on the return trip there is 10 hour layover before leaving for JFK. I can see few flights out of Moscow but there are many to JFK as we depart.

Would a travel agent be able to get us two tickets such as one is round trip to another airport than JFK and the other ticket is round trip from Boston or Philadelphia to Europe to prevent the 9 hour layover in NYC ..... without increasing the cost we can get now on Cheapo by going ahead and accepting the long layover in NYC. We do not know what fees a travel agent makes on a sale. We have never used them.
We'd be buying tickets for four persons. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:43 AM

2,097 posts, read 715,328 times
CheapoAir may not pay a commission to travel agents so an agent may not deal with them or may charge a separate fee. You should be able to get an idea of the costs of other routings on the mainstream airlines by using Expedia.

My concern is not the layover; I'm just wary of low-cost carriers. They tend to run on very thin margins and when something goes wrong they may be very slow to take care of it; you could be stuck overnight somewhere, for example, at your expense. They may charge additional fees (checked bags, cabin baggage, food, etc.) that eat up a lot of the savings and they can go out of business on short notice.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,199,829 times
I'd reconsider using Cheapo, they have gotten scathing reviews.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ir_Travel.html

Old 02-11-2019, 08:48 AM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
I booked my last trip through CheapoAir, and I did save some money with them.

However, I would not accept a long layover unless they paid for a hotel.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:50 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Use cheapo Air (or other better sites) to search, then book directly with the airlines. Most TA's who still book airline tickets will charge YOU a fee.

BTW, book that overseas flight on one ticket. It can include multiple airlines that code share with each other. With two separate tickets, you'll be schlepping your own luggage. WORSE, if one side of those tickets has problems, you're unlikely getting much help from either airline.

Sometimes the cheapest isn't the best.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:54 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Google flights and then deal direct with the airline. Problems solved.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,291,302 times
1. There are still travel agents??

2. In many cases low fares are associated with inconvenient schedules and/ or risk (separate tickets for parts of a trip are always a risk).

Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Airfare isn't like shopping the best price for a turkey on sale. Cheapo Air (really that's a name?), expedia, priceline, etc. All those sights - they all have the same fares as the airlines unless you get some sort of package deal with hotel. Sometimes the fare is more than the airlines. Also (and critical), you lose control in case flights are cancelled or you have other issues.

The Best Practice for a consumer is always
1.) Use a good airfare search engine, be flexible on dates and locations to fly into and out of. Find the cheapest rate.
2.) AND THEN go to the airline website and book directly with them.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:04 PM

2,097 posts, read 715,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
BTW, book that overseas flight on one ticket. It can include multiple airlines that code share with each other. With two separate tickets, you'll be schlepping your own luggage. WORSE, if one side of those tickets has problems, you're unlikely getting much help from either airline.
Oops- forgot about that part. I totally agree. Last year I went to India and didn't have quite enough airline miles to do it all in Business Class but I could manage it if I flew home from London in Coach. The only way the silly airline computer would let me do it was two separate bookings (PNRs, or Passenger Something Records). One was the London-Delhi RT, all in Business, and the other was the RT between home and London, coming home in Coach. I stayed overnight in London so had to retrieve my bag anyway. On my return home, the staff at India would NOT check my bag through to the US. (That's the airline's rule- they were just enforcing it.) In London, I had to retrieve my bag and that involved going through Immigration before I could get to it, only to recheck it so I could continue to my flight to the US. Fortunately, I had a good, long layover.

I believe they still would have taken responsibility if I'd missed a connection in London even though the trips were 2 separate PNRs, because it was the same airline alliance, but if you're flying on different tickets with different airlines, you're on your own.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:29 PM

3,302 posts, read 853,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The best prices we find are on Cheapo Air and not Expedia, etc. All paths lead back to Cheapo.
We have looked at a schedule but the shortest flight before heading over the ocean has a 9 hour layover at JFK even though there is probably a flight an hour leaving here for JFK. When we switch carriers to a Russian airline it gets us to NYC or Boston or Philadelphia on Jet Blue or American and layovers are good except on the return trip there is 10 hour layover before leaving for JFK. I can see few flights out of Moscow but there are many to JFK as we depart.

Would a travel agent be able to get us two tickets such as one is round trip to another airport than JFK and the other ticket is round trip from Boston or Philadelphia to Europe to prevent the 9 hour layover in NYC ..... without increasing the cost we can get now on Cheapo by going ahead and accepting the long layover in NYC. We do not know what fees a travel agent makes on a sale. We have never used them.
We'd be buying tickets for four persons. Thanks.
Travel agents are motivated to sell packages on which they'd earn the highest commission, unless they explicitly state that they collect a flat fee. Since you don't have transparency on the booking process, they very well may be collecting a flat fee + a commission on the backend, not transparent to you.

I'd just search Kayak.com, or download their app, and book my own travels. To me, even saving $200 per person isn't worth a 9 hour layover ANYWHERE. That's an entire day, wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or