U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 AM

21,871 posts, read 13,115,369 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need some help with a hotel recommendation in London. I will be there for only 2 night, August 28 - 30. I have never been there so I would like to be a tourist.

Here are some requirements to help you narrow down the choices:
  1. No more than $300 US a night
  2. Air conditioning
  3. Modern western bathroom (can't stand old plumbing and bathrooms!)
  4. Can live with a smallish room as long as I can have at least a queen size bed
  5. Convenient area for sightseeing and getting on the Tube
Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers!
George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,851 times
We (family of 4) stayed in a Citadines apartment/hotel on Glouchester(sp?) Road in 2007. It was very clean, nice bathroom, perfect kitchen for vacationers, WiFi, excellent location for tube, bus, and taxis, not too pricey. Can't find the bookmark anymore, so that's not good, but I believe the chain is all over Europe (stayed in one in Paris also very nice).

Old 05-20-2008, 09:03 PM

605 posts, read 2,219,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Hi all,

I need some help with a hotel recommendation in London. I will be there for only 2 night, August 28 - 30. I have never been there so I would like to be a tourist.

Here are some requirements to help you narrow down the choices:
  1. No more than $300 US a night
  2. Air conditioning
  3. Modern western bathroom (can't stand old plumbing and bathrooms!)
  4. Can live with a smallish room as long as I can have at least a queen size bed
  5. Convenient area for sightseeing and getting on the Tube
Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers!
George
As in the US, many of the larger London hotels will employ demand-based pricing so it's difficult to generalize within the price range you quoted. You are visiting in peak tourist season, but on the cusp of a holiday weekend. Holiday weekends can drive London prices down slightly, but whether you'll benefit from this a couple of days before - I'm not certain.

Personally I'd do a tripadvisor and expedia combo in order to research your possibilities for the dates you quoted. If you read the reviews carefully and look at the rankings you won't go far wrong. I wouldn't use expedia for the actual booking - I'd go directly to the hotel's own website and compare - try to get a rate that's easy cancellable so you can go on checking up until the last minute and snag maybe snag yourself a cheaper room if you can but have the original booking to fall back on. I did this a couple of weeks ago when visiting London on a holiday weekend and actually saved myself a bundle.

Not sure what you mean about "western bathrooms" though... UK's in the western hemisphere too and you should hopefully be as likely to find bathrooms to your liking within the price range as you would do in the US. The cheaper the hotel the crappier the bathroom can be - anywhere.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,177 times
Hi, Iím sorry, I cannot suggest you any hotel of London because I have never visited London but recently I got a site by Google search for you called www.sletoh.com where you can find all types of hotel according to your budget and requirements. You can also book hotels online. Hope by this you will be delighted.
Cheers!

All the best!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,023,380 times
Expedia.co.uk Travel > Book cheap flights, travel, hotels & package holidays (http://www.expedia.co.uk/daily/shared/products/hotels/link.aspx?qscr=htwv&from=m&stat=1&khst=1&locn=lond on&date1=28/8/2008&date2=30/8/2008&cadu1=2&crom=1&rdct=1&rfrr=-13019&eapid=0-3 - broken link)

Lots of hotels in your price range on expedia for those dates. You might have some problem finding many hotels with air conditioning though as it is still very rare anywhere in Europe. Most will have air conditioned public areas but even 5 star hotels do not tend to have air conditioning in rooms.

We in Europe hardly ever need it so it is very wasteful.

I was recommended the Hoxton which also has some amazing sales ( including rooms @ $2 a night !) if you register on their mailing list.

Hoxton Hotels: Book cheap hotel rooms in Central London

$300 a night is a pretty respectable budget even in London if you book in advance.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,165 times
Default Stay in London

Hi there.

We'll I was in London in Spring over the Easter holidays, which is also a quite busy vacation time and I got my hotel at studios92.com. I think it's like expedia, you just tipe in when and with how many people you wanna stay in London and they give you hotels, varying in price and place. It wporked out great for me cause I was able to save some money with my boyfriend. But it's just a suggestion.

Hope I could help.

Greetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or